Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many people would say they would rather drive a $15k Chevy Sonic daily over a $122k BMW M6?

Exactly. Woz is obviously an outlier. However, I can see if I had both a Bolt and an S, and most of my driving was in city errands, I might take the beater into the city and save the S for special occasions. That doesn't mean I'd think the Bolt is the better vehicle, it just means I'm more willing to risk it getting beat up.

Reactions: MikeC and Saghost
The fact that he's stating he will drive his $43.5k Bolt over his $150k P100DL if there is a choice between the 2 every time speaks volumes.

How many people would say they would rather drive a $15k Chevy Sonic daily over a $122k BMW M6?

I do this at home all the time. I drive a sports car, my gf drives a Mazda 2 with 100 HP. We take her car everywhere when it's the two of us and on short trips because it's easier to get around. It's obviously not as fun to drive or as nice of a car.

Also he didn't say every time. You're putting words into someone else's mouth.

Reactions: JRP3
The fact that he's stating he will drive his $43.5k Bolt over his $150k P100DL if there is a choice between the 2 every time speaks volumes.

I don't really spend much time with the right crowd, but it seems to me from what I've read that almost all of the folks with exotic sports cars and supercars keep a much more typical mainstream daily driver.

I've been driving a Signature P85 down to CES in Las Vegas and back these last few days. I had hoped to make this my inaugural trip in my Bolt but I still don't have it 7 weeks after it was produced around Nov.16 (Electrek thinks Bolt production started in mid-December...). It's finally on a train so I expect it in the next week or so now that holiday season is over and work schedules are back to normal.

Anyway, I wanted a Model S as a daily driver for a few days and to do a long distance drive with Superchargers. I hope to contrast this with a similar drive not too long after I get the Bolt even though it seems the Bolt may charge a bit faster once 160A or faster CCS chargers start becoming available next year.

I've sat in the Bolt for maybe 30 minutes but haven't been able to drive one for any significant amount of time. But, I can say so far that the Model S feels slightly too large for what I'm used to with my previous cars (Toyota hatchback, Honda Accord, original Prius sedan, Prius liftback, Volt). Perhaps if I reset my expectations by driving it longer or borrowing a Cadillac DeVille for a week and then going back to the S it would then feel the right size.

In any case, I live in an urban environment and the Bolt is just a more practical size anyway. Plus, a Bolt will fit better in my garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
Exactly. Woz is obviously an outlier. However, I can see if I had both a Bolt and an S, and most of my driving was in city errands, I might take the beater into the city and save the S for special occasions. That doesn't mean I'd think the Bolt is the better vehicle, it just means I'm more willing to risk it getting beat up.

Part of the driving experience is freedom. If you have to worry about where you park, or driving down gravel roads, or getting mud on your car, it lessens the experience.

But also, when driving in traffic, a high point of view, and a narrower car is easier to drive.

Indeed. I have a very similar situation with Model S + i-Miev. If I need to run an errand in the city, I usually take the i-Miev, not the Tesla. Does that mean, I think the i-Miev is a better vehicle ? Not at all. But it is a cheap (to own + repair + operate), small, easy-to-park vehicle that is less like to get door-dinged due to its small size (more space beside it for the other cars in the parking lot) -- and even if it does get dinged it hurts me less than it would on the Tesla.

Reactions: EarlyAdopter
One thing I am impressed with GM about is they sold 579 the first month. It tool Tesla 6 months to sell (or rather make) that many Model X cars and I just looked at the Model S roll out and it again was 6 months before Tesla made that many. Making a new car is hard and it looks like GM is making a credible attempt here.

Also both the Volt and the Model X have been on sale all year and the Volt has outsold the Model X by nearly 10,000 units this year.

I still love my Tesla but our Volt has been a solid car.

• Funny
Reactions: kelly
One thing I am impressed with GM about is they sold 579 the first month. It tool Tesla 6 months to sell (or rather make) that many Model X cars and I just looked at the Model S roll out and it again was 6 months before Tesla made that many. Making a new car is hard and it looks like GM is making a credible attempt here.

Also both the Volt and the Model X have been on sale all year and the Volt has outsold the Model X by nearly 10,000 units this year.

I still love my Tesla but our Volt has been a solid car.
Yeah, GM has more experience bringing out new car models on time. Your point?

Why would you compare production volumes of vehicles in totally different market segments? Any vehicle priced at between one half and one quarter the cost of another should easily and significantly outsell the more expensive one.

The X has been demand limited most of the year, and built in slowly increasing quantities. Whereas GM went thru a much shorter ramp on the second generation Volt last year, and had their full production capacity available for all of 2016 as far as I know. Definitely not a fair comparison. Wait and see how it compares next year before drawing conclusions.

Not that I think the comparison makes much sense - about the only thing they have in common is similar electric efficiency. A FWD compact EREV that seats 4 (5 in a real pinch) and costs $35k isn't really an obvious car to match with an AWD BEV crossover that seats 7 (6 comfortably) and costs $70k+

Reactions: JRP3
Why would you compare production volumes of vehicles in totally different market segments? Any vehicle priced at between one half and one quarter the cost of another should easily and significantly outsell the more expensive one.

Not necessarily. In the USA, cheap cars don't sell well. The Camry sold 400k units, the Yaris 10k.

The Yaris has been decreasing in sales for the last 8 years, yet still outsold the Volt in 2011 and 2012, but is that a relevant comparison? Of course not. More relevant would be to compare the Camry and the Volt since they are closer in pricing and market segment. Comparing a Volt and an X is rather ludicrous, and you know it.

I thought Elon's goal was to transform transportation and get ALL manufacturers to make EVs. As a person who has coordinated 5 National Drive Electric events, I believe any car with a plug helps to further the cause.

All true. I wasn't saying record Volt sales are in any way a bad thing. My Volt certainly gave me everything that could be asked of it over five years. I don't have any heartburn with the Volt or GM.

I just don't think your comparison makes much sense. Why the X and the Volt? Why not the S and Volt - still oddly matched, but closer? Or Volt and Ford Fusion Energi? Or the traditional classic that's actually kinda close in a lot of ways - Volt and Leaf?

(And then, beyond that, I disagree with your basis for making the comparison as I mentioned before.)