Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike more intelligent state governments, California has a 55 mph slow lane for trucks or those with trailers.

The flow of traffic in the right lanes is normally 50-65 mph.

Well of course I'm not referring to truck & trailer speed limits for what a single car would need to do to keep up with the flow of traffic.

According to the CA DOT, the speed limit from Victorville where he charged to the stat line near NV is 70MPH. So I assume he was doing about that.

He charged at Victorville to 90% (214 miles range), and he says he traveled the 180 mile with significant charge left. He says he made it with significant miles left. He later mentions trying the return leg with 80% charge (~190 miles), so I'd guess he had at least 24 miles of range left over. The ~725' drop in elevation undoubtedly helped.

I expect the fact that he likely needed greater than rated charge to make the trip despite a decent drop in elevation likely indicates that at 70mph the Bolt's Cd is coming in to play. Still the not dire situation some had predicted, but I think the discussion of aero impact are likely seen here.

I can typically get rated range@70 with flat elevation and better than rated with a drop like that. I suspect the Model 3 would have an easier time as well. I'd guess that at the driving speeds most would be comfortable with on that stretch (~80), that the 90% charge may have been pushing necessary.

Overall, not bad, IMO.

> . . whether the CCS infrastructure today would allow a Bolt EV to travel to Las Vegas from SoCal. Apparently somebody has just done that. . . [McRat]

NOW would be the time for CCS operators to actually promote long distance BOLT trips by installing in Barstow/Baker to enable easy Vegas shots and then advertising such. Likewise with Phoenix mid-point CCS chargers. Then the media will be tripping all over this with free publicity.
--

I expect the fact that he likely needed greater than rated charge to make the trip despite a decent drop in elevation likely indicates that at 70mph the Bolt's Cd is coming in to play. Still the not dire situation some had predicted, but I think the discussion of aero impact are likely seen here.
Victorville is about 700 feet higher than Las Vegas.

Another factor is that the last 60-70 miles towards Las Vegas drops about 2,700 feet and then rolls flat with a charging opportunity at Primm about 44 miles before Vegas.

Heading towards Victorville, the last 60-70 miles gains about 1,000 feet in elevation and there are no J1772 or CCS charging opportunities yet.

NOW would be the time for CCS operators to actually promote long distance BOLT trips by installing in Barstow/Baker to enable easy Vegas shots and then advertising such. Likewise with Phoenix mid-point CCS chargers. Then the media will be tripping all over this with free publicity.
A 4 stall "350 kW" CCS charging plaza is being installed in Baker by EVgo and is aiming to be operational in about 4 months.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Victorville is about 700 feet higher than Las Vegas.

Another factor is that the last 60-70 miles towards Las Vegas drops about 2,700 feet and then rolls flat with a charging opportunity at Primm about 44 miles before Vegas.

Heading towards Victorville, the last 60-70 miles gains about 1,000 feet in elevation and there are no J1772 or CCS charging opportunities yet.
Looking back, my phrasing may have been awkward, when I referred to the return trip, which I only did as a reference, to guesstimate how much range he may have had remaining on the initial leg, as he opted to only charge to 80% coming back, so he assumed 190 miles would be enough.

In any case, that elevation drop is indeed what I had noted:

He later mentions trying the return leg with 80% charge (~190 miles), so I'd guess he had at least 24 miles of range left over. The ~725' drop in elevation undoubtedly helped.

Thanks for chiming in where I was unclear.

We don't know how much sharing it can do yet. The 350kW quote is supposed to be the maximum output for one plug, based on 350A at 1000V.

That means for current generation cars it'll be comparable to current Superchargers if the car is capable of it.
Right. I don't think we even know the equipment vendor yet. The only announced vendor with new generation hardware so far is ChargePoint but I'm sure there are others just waiting to roll out press releases soon.

Right. I don't think we even know the equipment vendor yet. The only announced vendor with new generation hardware so far is ChargePoint but I'm sure there are others just waiting to roll out press releases soon.

I went by the site Friday. Ground has not been broken yet. I will post pictures in the specific thread about the Baker fast charging station.

RT

Here's a newer one:
federal-credit-phaseout-estimation-chart-v2016-final.png

I know this chart came from InsideEVs, but I think they made a mistake (against GM and Tesla) here. If they do not hit 200k incentive-eligible vehicles until Q2-18, everything should be shifted one column to the right. The quarter in which the manufacturer hits 200k doesn't count as part of their two-quarter grace. So both GM and Tesla would be wise to stop just short of 200k at the end of Q1-18, hit 200k at the beginning of Q2-18, and then get Q3-18 and Q1-19 at the full credit with the grace period.

The quarter in which the manufacturer hits 200k doesn't count as part of their two-quarter grace.

I'm pretty sure that is wrong. From: Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars

phaseoutdiagramPlugin.gif

The text is: The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles

In your example the first quarter after selling the 200,000th vehicle is Q3-18, so the phase out starts in Q1-19.

Reactions: Cyclone
Here is an article that I wrote concerning how to maximize your long distance travel time using fast DC charging:

Planning A Long Journey With Your Chevrolet Bolt EV or Opel Ampera-e?

A general rule of thumb is that you will need 30-60 minutes of DC fast charging to go 75-125 miles (120km to 200km) in your new Chevrolet Bolt EV or Opel Ampera-E.

This number may be significantly different than what your Distant To Empty (DTE) gauge, or “Guess-O-Meter” (GOM), might display since GOM estimates are based on prior driving consumption and can vary wildly in some cars, including the Bolt.

Not all cars will have the required DC fast charging port, as it is an extra cost option.

This might be counter intuitive to folks not used to an EV, but the fastest drive between two points is not filling up the battery at each enroute stop. Quite the opposite, since charging above 65% in a Bolt EV will significantly increase your charging time due to the reduced speed with which the battery can accept a fast charge above 65%.

Also, if you are using the fastest 125 amp “50kW” chargers, don’t drive slowly between charging spots to save energy. Drive normal freeway speeds of 65-75mph (105km/h to 120 km/h) to get the fastest overall speed in your journey. Above 75mph is not recommended, due to the relatively poor aerodynamics of the Bolt EV.

The Bolt EV will charge at an average speed of about 42kW at 125 amps while charging from 15% to 65%, which adds about 21kWh into the battery in about 30 minutes, and 30kWh in 45 minutes.

Obviously, the actual range is dependent on how fast you consume it, but we are assuming normal freeway speeds in nice weather on mostly level roads using an average consumption of 3.6 miles per kWh (277 Wh per mile) / 5.75km per kWh (174 Wh per km).

Again, to have the lowest overall travel time, it is not advantageous to drive slower to get improved energy consumption, since the fast chargers can upload power so much faster than you can consume it.

Cold weather, cabin heater use, wind, sustained high speed, hills, mountains, rain, snow, low tire pressure, etc, all adversely affect range and increase energy consumption.

EVgo network chargers are all on 30 minute timers EDIT: as of Feb 18, 2017, it appears that if you are on the $14.95 per month / $0.10 per minute plan with EVgo, the 30 minute time-out is disabled. To add 125 miles will take about an hour (again, if starting at 0% to 20%), and you need to interrupt your lunch or coffee break to swipe your EVgo card every 30 minutes. Fortunately, most other networks are on 2 hour timers. Charging above 65% will severely reduce the charge rate, and is not recommended, unless absolutely needed to reach the next charger, destination, or to compensate for adverse weather conditions.

Sure, when you leave your home or hotel, charge up all the way to 100% if you want to. But, you really want enroute chargers to be about 75-125 miles apart for the lowest overall travel time.

The car will charge the fastest from 0% to about 65%. The strategy is to burn down the battery at your first charge location to 10-20% remaining (or lower, if you are adventurous) and then charge for 30-60 minutes to add 75-125 miles of range each time.

In addition, you really only want to use the fastest chargers, and those that are the best are the ones that are 125 amps.

ABB, Signet, Efacec, Tritium and others build fast DC chargers that are 125 amp capable, and may be labeled by their network in the USA as either EVgo, ChargePoint, Greenlots, OpConnect, etc. Of course, you’ll want to have established accounts with each of the networks you plan to use.

The BTC chargers used at some locations by the EVgo network are only 100 amp capable, making your charge time increase about 25%.

The stand-alone CCS ChargePoint units (they won’t have a CHAdeMO plug on them) are only half power (60 amps), so I would avoid them like the plague. They will DOUBLE your charge time, and are really only useful if there is no other option.

With a little experience, you’ll be arriving at chargers with a low battery %, which is why it is wise to pick locations with more than one charger. Just one charger at a location could be broken, vandalized, busy, blocked, etc, and a low battery % limits your options.

Use PlugShare to verify that folks are not having recent problems with the charger(s) at your planned stops. Be sure to filter for “CCS” only.

If the Bolt EV were sold in Japan, it would have to have CHAdeMO, just like both the BMW i3 and Tesla (with a Tesla supplied adaptor). The Bolt EV cannot currently use CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharger DC fast chargers, nor can it use GB/T in China.

Obviously, this planning only works mostly in the west and east coasts of the USA where there is adequate charging infrastructure, but it works almost everywhere in Europe and U.K.

So, in summary, plan your trips with chargers that are 75-125 miles apart, only charge enough to get to the next charger that is 75-125 miles away plus about 10-20%, and so on. This will take 30-60 minutes on the fastest 125 amp “50kW” chargers. Bump up your reserve to 30% or more in adverse weather, or climbing hills.

Try not to charge over 65% unless absolutely required. Use the fastest chargers rated at 125 amps, and plan to find locations that have more than one charger, or another nearby charger in case they are blocked or broken. Get whatever accounts, cards, apps, or fobs that are required by the various networks.

EDIT: I added a graph in the article to show a 650 mile / 1046km trip being done in 13-14 hours at 65-75mph on the original story linked above.

It’s important to follow the ABC rule… Always Be Charging. If you’re not driving 65-75mph down the freeway, you need to be plugged into a 125 amp charger.

In addition, don’t make the newbie mistake of plugging in and walking away. You MUST VERIFY that the charge actually starts and ramps up to full power before wandering off for tea and crumpets. Don’t forget to enjoy the trip!

Here is an article that I wrote concerning how to maximize your long distance travel time using fast DC charging:

Planning A Long Journey With Your Chevrolet Bolt EV or Opel Ampera-e?

A general rule of thumb is that you will need 30-60 minutes of DC fast charging to go 75-125 miles (120km to 200km) in your new Chevrolet Bolt EV or Opel Ampera-E.

This number may be significantly different than what your Distant To Empty (DTE) gauge, or “Guess-O-Meter” (GOM), might display since GOM estimates are based on prior driving consumption and can vary wildly in some cars, including the Bolt.

Not all cars will have the required DC fast charging port, as it is an extra cost option.

This might be counter intuitive to folks not used to an EV, but the fastest drive between two points is not filling up the battery at each enroute stop. Quite the opposite, since charging above 65% in a Bolt EV will significantly increase your charging time due to the reduced speed with which the battery can accept a fast charge above 65%.

Also, if you are using the fastest 125 amp “50kW” chargers, don’t drive slowly between charging spots to save energy. Drive normal freeway speeds of 65-75mph (105km/h to 120 km/h) to get the fastest overall speed in your journey. Above 75mph is not recommended, due to the relatively poor aerodynamics of the Bolt EV.

The Bolt EV will charge at an average speed of about 42kW at 125 amps while charging from 15% to 65%, which adds about 21kWh into the battery in about 30 minutes, and 30kWh in 45 minutes.

Obviously, the actual range is dependent on how fast you consume it, but we are assuming normal freeway speeds in nice weather on mostly level roads using an average consumption of 3.6 miles per kWh (277 Wh per mile) / 5.75km per kWh (174 Wh per km).

Again, to have the lowest overall travel time, it is not advantageous to drive slower to get improved energy consumption, since the fast chargers can upload power so much faster than you can consume it.

Cold weather, cabin heater use, wind, sustained high speed, hills, mountains, rain, snow, low tire pressure, etc, all adversely affect range and increase energy consumption.

EVgo network chargers are all on 30 minute timers EDIT: as of Feb 18, 2017, it appears that if you are on the $14.95 per month / $0.10 per minute plan with EVgo, the 30 minute time-out is disabled. To add 125 miles will take about an hour (again, if starting at 0% to 20%), and you need to interrupt your lunch or coffee break to swipe your EVgo card every 30 minutes. Fortunately, most other networks are on 2 hour timers. Charging above 65% will severely reduce the charge rate, and is not recommended, unless absolutely needed to reach the next charger, destination, or to compensate for adverse weather conditions.

Sure, when you leave your home or hotel, charge up all the way to 100% if you want to. But, you really want enroute chargers to be about 75-125 miles apart for the lowest overall travel time.

The car will charge the fastest from 0% to about 65%. The strategy is to burn down the battery at your first charge location to 10-20% remaining (or lower, if you are adventurous) and then charge for 30-60 minutes to add 75-125 miles of range each time.

In addition, you really only want to use the fastest chargers, and those that are the best are the ones that are 125 amps.

ABB, Signet, Efacec, Tritium and others build fast DC chargers that are 125 amp capable, and may be labeled by their network in the USA as either EVgo, ChargePoint, Greenlots, OpConnect, etc. Of course, you’ll want to have established accounts with each of the networks you plan to use.

The BTC chargers used at some locations by the EVgo network are only 100 amp capable, making your charge time increase about 25%.

The stand-alone CCS ChargePoint units (they won’t have a CHAdeMO plug on them) are only half power (60 amps), so I would avoid them like the plague. They will DOUBLE your charge time, and are really only useful if there is no other option.

With a little experience, you’ll be arriving at chargers with a low battery %, which is why it is wise to pick locations with more than one charger. Just one charger at a location could be broken, vandalized, busy, blocked, etc, and a low battery % limits your options.

Use PlugShare to verify that folks are not having recent problems with the charger(s) at your planned stops. Be sure to filter for “CCS” only.

If the Bolt EV were sold in Japan, it would have to have CHAdeMO, just like both the BMW i3 and Tesla (with a Tesla supplied adaptor). The Bolt EV cannot currently use CHAdeMO or Tesla Supercharger DC fast chargers, nor can it use GB/T in China.

Obviously, this planning only works mostly in the west and east coasts of the USA where there is adequate charging infrastructure, but it works almost everywhere in Europe and U.K.

So, in summary, plan your trips with chargers that are 75-125 miles apart, only charge enough to get to the next charger that is 75-125 miles away plus about 10-20%, and so on. This will take 30-60 minutes on the fastest 125 amp “50kW” chargers. Bump up your reserve to 30% or more in adverse weather, or climbing hills.

Try not to charge over 65% unless absolutely required. Use the fastest chargers rated at 125 amps, and plan to find locations that have more than one charger, or another nearby charger in case they are blocked or broken. Get whatever accounts, cards, apps, or fobs that are required by the various networks.

EDIT: I added a graph in the article to show a 650 mile / 1046km trip being done in 13-14 hours at 65-75mph on the original story linked above.

It’s important to follow the ABC rule… Always Be Charging. If you’re not driving 65-75mph down the freeway, you need to be plugged into a 125 amp charger.

In addition, don’t make the newbie mistake of plugging in and walking away. You MUST VERIFY that the charge actually starts and ramps up to full power before wandering off for tea and crumpets. Don’t forget to enjoy the trip!
Is there a charge graph (ideally with power, voltage, and current) that supports these claims about optimal charge time vs SOC? It would be interesting to see how the taper happens (esp. seeing voltage and current separately so we can see when it is voltage limited and when it is current limited).

Is there a charge graph (ideally with power, voltage, and current) that supports these claims about optimal charge time vs SOC? It would be interesting to see how the taper happens (esp. seeing voltage and current separately so we can see when it is voltage limited and when it is current limited).
Here are some charts created by "Zoomit" on a Bolt forum site:

IMG_2510.PNG

This doesn't show everything you want but it's a good start. Charging from 0 to 54% is limited by the 125A peak current on today's CCS stations. Nobody has yet reported the numbers when charging on higher rate chargers but I expect the peak current to rise to around 150A during most of that 0 to 54% range meaning about 20% faster. Above that it should be similar to what we see today.

This is obviously a lot slower than an S75 on a Supercharger. It will be interesting to see the rates for a Model 3 with a ~55 kWh pack.

On my recent road trip to LA I had no need for the cabin heater so I was getting closer to 85 miles for a 30 minute charge while driving 65-70 mph. On future chargers that might be 100 miles. I had no complaints about charge time -- it was fine for an occasional relaxed vacation drive in mostly pleasant weather given that you start with a near full charge in the morning and DC charge a couple of times during the day.

Due to the Bolt EV's relatively larger battery and reasonably good highway efficiency it's no burden to go about 400-500 miles a day using 100+ amp chargers which is about all I want to do on a relaxing drive anyway. Future 150A charging will be nice but even the 100A stations are minimally adequate.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
The general rule of thumb is you wake up with a full charge. So a 400 mile trip takes about 1 hr extra each direction for most 200+ mile EVs. Or 2 hours for 800 miles.
That seems quite unrealistic. Even starting at 100%, arriving at 0%, and with a best-case 45kW charging rate for that hour, you'd have to beat the EPA-rated Wh/mi to make those 400 miles.

Realistically, it will be 2 charging stops, at least 75 minutes of charging, and another 10-20 minutes per stop wasted in getting from the freeway to the charger, plugging/unplugging, and getting back on the freeway. A better rule of thumb might be 1.5 hours if everything goes perfectly, and 2+ hours if its your first road trip or if there's any glitch along the way.

Here are some charts created by "Zoomit" on a Bolt forum site:

View attachment 216058

This doesn't show everything you want but it's a good start. Charging from 0 to 54% is limited by the 125A peak current on today's CCS stations. Nobody has yet reported the numbers when charging on higher rate chargers but I expect the peak current to rise to around 150A during most of that 0 to 54% range meaning about 20% faster. Above that it should be similar to what we see today.

This is obviously a lot slower than an S75 on a Supercharger. It will be interesting to see the rates for a Model 3 with a ~55 kWh pack.

On my recent road trip to LA I had no need for the cabin heater so I was getting closer to 85 miles for a 30 minute charge while driving 65-70 mph. On future chargers that might be 100 miles. I had no complaints about charge time -- it was fine for an occasional relaxed vacation drive in mostly pleasant weather given that you start with a near full charge in the morning and DC charge a couple of times during the day.

Due to the Bolt EV's relatively larger battery and reasonably good highway efficiency it's no burden to go about 400-500 miles a day using 100+ amp chargers which is about all I want to do on a relaxing drive anyway. Future 150A charging will be nice but even the 100A stations are minimally adequate.
Thanks, that helps a bit. It seems it peaks in power at 50% SOC, although it isn't that clear if that is the crossover point for peak current vs voltage.

What is with the jagged power cut after 50% SOC? Is that an artifact of the data gathering or is that actually how the BMS/charger is cutting current?