Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bingo. And in this case, while GM is targeting volume similar to the Leaf today in the US (so it's not purely a compliance play), it doesn't appear they are targeting the same level as Tesla is. Even though GM PR says otherwise, the overall vibe I am getting from the Bolt is that it is largely an effort to call "first" over Tesla. I don't feel as strong a sense of commitment as when the Volt came out (factors driving this: the lower levels of in-house work, the carry over of bodywork from the Trax, the rushed schedule that seems to be designed primarily to beat Tesla and not as a overall long term vehicle).

Just to point out: The Bolt is on the next-gen Gamma Platform. Trax is on the current gen. No carry over bodywork.

I don't think this was a rush job to beat Tesla. They signed the development deal with LG in August 2011. It seems obvious now, but it was unknown at the time how successful the MS would be. 2011 to 2016 is five years, GM's normal development time.

Just to point out: The Bolt is on the next-gen Gamma Platform. Trax is on the current gen. No carry over bodywork.

I don't think this was a rush job to beat Tesla. They signed the development deal with LG in August 2011. It seems obvious now, but it was unknown at the time how successful the MS would be. 2011 to 2016 is five years, GM's normal development time.
I'll wait for the CES reveal first to see the official production intent design, but from the spy shots so far it is very obvious it was using the Trax body (perhaps those are just mules).

As for the development deal, given how GM uses the phrase "EV", I'm not convinced that deal in 2011 was referring to specifically to the Bolt. GM at a time was planning to use Envia for the battery pack instead of LG Chem. First investment came in Jan 2011 and GM was pumping it up as a possible source of "200 mile" EV in February 2012. Even at that time, people immediately drew comparisons to Tesla and mentioned the planned $30k vehicle (that we now know as Model 3 today). Elon has been mentioning that since before the Model S launch.

At any rate, I highly doubt the Bolt was developed since 2011. The concept unveiled in January 2015 lacked any sort of technical details (it didn't even have the right charge port or the correct amount of seats) and simply does not have mark of a vehicle or concept developed for 3-4 years. Contrast this with the Volt concept unveiled in January 2007, which actually had a lot of technical details fleshed out during launch:
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/01/gm_introduces_e.html

Last edited:
Agree with the Volt/i3 mashup thought. Not a bad looking car (I like it better than the i3). Hopefully it will do well. I expect it will be a nice car, just due to the fact that a large battery solves many of the issues with EVs and provides many benefits, as Tesla has shown.

Takes cues from the Volt at the A-pillar, but overall looks more like a Honda Fit to my eyes.

Not bad looking at all compared to other cars in its class. While I don't believe I'll be able to reserve one of the first in WA State (As I'm reluctant to believe they'll offer it in WA State as a primary launch state) I will most likely reserve one (again, if I can, not even sure they'll allow reservations) just to get a test drive.

I did this with the Volt and Leaf so here's to competition!!!

Yup, better than the i3, and better than the Bolt prototype, but I think the front end treatment is a bit of a mess, (2 "grill" areas, really?). Certainly not in the class of what I'm expecting from Tesla for the Model 3, but then I never expected it to be.

Looks like every other compact hatchback out there....but with Volt accents.

Which I consider a smart move by GM. I personally dislike the weird EV segment and the EV version of the same car segment. In one, it gives the bad impression that EVs are for goofballs and the other invites a direct comparison to a gas burner where the naysayer gets to point out how much more the EV costs.

I really doubt this will be any competition for the Model 3. I hope that the Bolt is a hit for GM though.

Hmmm. $30,000 AFTER incentives.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

I reserve judgement on the vehicle until we get the full specifications, and can compare it to the competitor's (<Ahem> Model 3).

Last edited:
Hmmm. $30,000 AFTER incentives.

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

I reserve judgement on the vehicle until we get the full specifications, and can compare it to the competitor's (<Ahem> Model 3).

They should be two very different cars with a somewhat similar EV range. I expect 180 real world miles out of the Bolt and 210+ out of the Model 3. Just MHO though.

They should be two very different cars with a somewhat similar EV range. I expect 180 real world miles out of the Bolt and 210+ out of the Model 3. Just MHO though.
GM had been bullish they would get more than 200 real world miles from it (they said prototypes were getting more than 200 miles). We'll see very soon when they announce the EPA range.

Most important thing is that it's "not a weirdmobile." All the awkwardness of the concept seems to have been polished away. It's a fairly generic hatchback.

So... Volume vehicle? Or just intended to lure existing EV purchases away from Nissan/Mercedes/Ford/VW?

So... Volume vehicle? Or just intended to lure existing EV purchases away from Nissan/Mercedes/Ford/VW?

To me, GM's strategy with the Bolt is the big question, and I'm following with great interest. It's clearly not a halo or compliance vehicle; though it could still be either conquest or volume. (A long thread describing these types of strategies is HERE). If it is conquest, by its appearance it is the ICE-cannibalizing type - unless GM surprises us with some other restriction like really poor performance; or perhaps batteries stacked up everywhere so there's no cargo room. Either way (volume or cannibalizing conquest), the dealers could have a problem with it, so I'll be curious to see how GM addresses that. I'd like to see an automaker try just a straight spiff on EVs.

Which strategy they took may depend on how many powertrains & batteries LG can deliver - I'd be surprised (though pleasantly!) if it's enough for true GM-level volume. Until it is released, it is clearly a brand-builder as they are touting it despite the Osborne potential; but once it is for sale we should be able to discern their strategy by the ads - whether they are frequent and dedicated in mass media, trying to show the Bolt as a great car we should buy; or less frequent in more specialty media outlets, perhaps shared with other similar cars, showing GM as a great company for offering it to us so we should buy a GM.

Either way, I'm very interested in the vehicle, even if they don't have a Supercharger-style network. My wife will keep her Model S, so we can use that for long distances. Around town, all I want is a small, inexpensive (well, relatively) BEV with at least 150 miles of range to guarantee I can get to my Mom's and back even in winter. I have been looking since 2006; this may be the first non-Tesla to meet my criteria.

Last edited: