Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Bolt - 200 mile range for $30k base price (after incentive)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which I consider a smart move by GM. I personally dislike the weird EV segment and the EV version of the same car segment. In one, it gives the bad impression that EVs are for goofballs and the other invites a direct comparison to a gas burner where the naysayer gets to point out how much more the EV costs.

I really doubt this will be any competition for the Model 3. I hope that the Bolt is a hit for GM though.

I agree, I'm glad it's not a weirdmobile. It's just, it also doesn't make it desirable. I understand that they're trying to make it broadly appealing...but I think they've just managed to make it non-polarizing.

I don't know, asking people to pay ~$30k for a base Honda Fit just disappoints me a bit.

Most important thing is that it's "not a weirdmobile." All the awkwardness of the concept seems to have been polished away. It's a fairly generic hatchback.

So... Volume vehicle? Or just intended to lure existing EV purchases away from Nissan/Mercedes/Ford/VW?
This just seemed like a typical toning down of concept cues in order to make it practical to manufacture. I'm not too surprised on the changes. I think stealing existing EV sales is definitely one of the goals.

Chevrolet Bolt EV Concept Photos and Info - Car and Driver

... GM has unveiled a new, dedicated electric vehicle, the Chevrolet Bolt, which will arrive in two years. The Bolt, which promises 200 miles of range and which will sell for roughly $38,000 before tax credits, could also prove to be a bummer for the upcoming Tesla Model 3 and the BMW i3.
... if GM can deliver an EV by 2017 that reaches the 200-mile mark, it won’t have any competition. The i3 musters only an EPA-estimated 81 miles and costs $43,350. The next Nissan Leaf will supposedly crack 249 miles, but it’s at least a couple of years away. And the Tesla Model 3—also expected to deliver a 200-mile range and cost $40,000—is banking on both the Gigafactory battery plant and Model X production to run perfectly on schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
~$30k for a base Honda Fit just disappoints me a bit.

Comparing the Bolt to a Fit doesn't make sense for me.
There is nothing "base" about an electric drive train compared to ICE/ gas.

My Smart ED is a tremendously fun and appealing vehicle compared to the gas version for example.

Once someone test drives an EV, they get it. Quiet. Smooth power delivery. One pedal driving. Etc.

My Smart ED is a tremendously fun and appealing vehicle compared to the gas version for example.

Once someone test drives an EV, they get it. Quiet. Smooth power delivery. One pedal driving. Etc.

It looks almost identical to a Honda Fit, to me, which is why I mentioned it. I also don't believe the base Bolt will come with much more than a base ICE compact. Yes, I know, the EV drivetrain has its value...but the point is to attract people who want a car...not a BEV.

It looks almost identical to a Honda Fit, to me, which is why I mentioned it. I also don't believe the base Bolt will come with much more than a base ICE compact. Yes, I know, the EV drivetrain has its value...but the point is to attract people who want a car...not a BEV.
Yep, the Fit was the first thing that popped into my mind as well. Hopefully that will change once I see it in person, but there's no real styling, no lines or curves to make this appealing.

It has the proportions of a Fit, but it is larger. I've spent (probably too much) time scaling dimensions from the photos. Based on the tire size it's about 4-5 inches longer than a Fit overall, 4-5 inches longer wheelbase, and about 6 inches taller.

The market does not agree.

Most people will still look at the Bolt as having less range than a comparably priced ICEv.

Tesla has combated this with acceleration performance, styling, unique user interface, the Supercharger Network, brand cachet,and claims of lower operation cost. And I say claims of lower operating cost because with $600/year maintenance and particular gas/electricity prices in your area this may not be the case.

I don't know how many bullets Chevrolet will have in the arsenal when a prospective Bolt buyer ask why should they spend twice the amount of a Honda Fit ICEv?

Remember there is (was) a Fit EV. Aside from the range and extremely limited quantities, it's quite a good car. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have one as a 2nd car.

I can see elements of the Fit (and Volt and i3) in the photos of the Bolt. I'm excited because my initial reaction to the photos was "not hideous." :) And I can definitely imagine people cross-shopping the Bolt and Model 3.

P.S. "elements" - no Honda pun intended. :p

No, GM has said repeatedly $30k AFTER incentives.

You are correct with Tesla's price. Elon has said Model 3 will be $35k BEFORE incentives.

I would prefer that GM would state the price before incentive as there is no telling what the incentive landscape will look like in a couple of years. I would also prefer that Tesla not use this "after gas savings" gimmick either. Please just be transparent.

I think this car will do extremely well. The demand is there. It is too bad the model 3 will be released likely way after the BOLT, as this could amount to a significant amount of sales for 'first mover'.
Things can change easily with the unveiling of the Model 3. The Bolt will still be coming coming after that unveiling and likely after the initial reservations start for the Model 3.

Things can change easily with the unveiling of the Model 3. The Bolt will still be coming coming after that unveiling and likely after the initial reservations start for the Model 3.

When will the Model3 be available in numbers? That's probably 3 or more years away.

We all remember the X was unveiled back in February 2012 and it is still not produced in volume in December 2015.

"Unveiling" a mule isn't difficult. The Faraday Future EV start-up will do just that at CES 2016 in early January. Does that mean they are three months ahead of Tesla who will unveil their car by March 2016??

Meanwhile GM is testing the production version of the Bolt already:

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV: Production Car Spied Before 2016 CES Reveal

I guess GM is 1-2 years ahead. And remember more car companies will get similar spec cells from LG, the Bolt is just one of many longer-range EVs.

Hyundai for example could surprise many and not just introduce a PHEV, but also the EV version in 2016.

Last edited: