Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevy Silverado EV Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 752285
That looks like A LOT of batteries and not a lot of ground clearance. šŸ˜µ

I feel like legacy auto can make EVs but the problem is that they can't do it at a profit. How good is your Ford/GM/Honda EV going to be if the company isn't in business in 5-10 years?

P.S. this looks WAY more like a Avalanche than a Silverado.

Given the small suspension travel and wheels it's probably intended for a lower profile car. It's nice they offer pickup air suspension for increased ground clearance when needed.

I was glad to see they did a ground up pickup chassis redesign similar to the CT and unlike Rivian and Ford Lightning old style ladder frame over axles.

Agreed, I assume they will be redesigning the CT now that Ford and Chevy has shown their hands. 4 wheel steering, Quad motors, etc.

Does the CT even have a frunk?
Yes and I'm pretty sure we invented the frunk. Oh and to the "NO Tesla has is power output" issue... wait until we see the production version. We've not seen the final truck. I'm betting more than a few investment $ Tesla will not overlook this feature. UNLESS they deem it too dangerous.

For all GM and Ford's talk we still haven't seen anyone actually powering their house with a truck. This just isn't as simple as they make it sound. And I wonder home much additional stuff we'll need to buy to make sure safe if the power comes back on. It's one thing to supply electricity to a power strip and keep the fridge, TV etc running. Quite something else to power an entire house.

I'm sure it will be just like Porsche's advertised OTA claims. Fell flat once they started delivering to customer.

Yes and I'm pretty sure we invented the frunk. Oh and to the "NO Tesla has is power output" issue... wait until we see the production version. We've not seen the final truck. I'm betting more than a few investment $ Tesla will not overlook this feature. UNLESS they deem it too dangerous.

For all GM and Ford's talk we still haven't seen anyone actually powering their house with a truck. This just isn't as simple as they make it sound. And I wonder home much additional stuff we'll need to buy to make sure safe if the power comes back on. It's one thing to supply electricity to a power strip and keep the fridge, TV etc running. Quite something else to power an entire house.
Elon did say at the Cybertruck unveiling that it would have outlets and they even showed a clip of the cyberquad charging. Hopefully we'll soon get some specifics on what power output options will be offered.

As for powering a house, both Ford and GM say it is possible but put it in fine print that a power transfer switch costing thousands of dollars and requiring professional installation ($$$$) will be required. Most potential buyers that I've chatted with had no idea that additional hardware would be required. Hopefully Tesla will have a similar V2H option that ties into the Powerwalls/gateway that a customer might already have.

Elon did say at the Cybertruck unveiling that it would have outlets and they even showed a clip of the cyberquad charging. Hopefully we'll soon get some specifics on what power output options will be offered.

As for powering a house, both Ford and GM say it is possible but put it in fine print that a power transfer switch costing thousands of dollars and requiring professional installation ($$$$) will be required. Most potential buyers that I've chatted with had no idea that additional hardware would be required. Hopefully Tesla will have a similar V2H option that ties into the Powerwalls/gateway that a customer might already have.
If I have a charged Cybertruck, why would I need the damn house when the electricity is out... šŸ˜Ž

Seriously, a manual power switch shouldn't be that expensive (more $$ rather than $$$$).

The EV to EV charging (with accessory cable, probably the most expensive cable ever sold šŸ¤”) looks pretty cool. Any reason Tesla can't do this now with the right cable and a software update?
Any such modifications to Tesla cars would void the warranty but I'm sure there's a few folks out there who have done this. There's a lot of Tesla cars out there with free unlimited Supercharging so I can see why the car maker has avoided doing V2V or V2H stuff. Maybe Tesla will do this some day.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Does anyone know if they are offering an opening sunroof on this on any trims? That is a deal breaker for me..

Tesla-8-780x520.jpeg

If you can't open the sunroof, you're just not trying hard enough

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
The big feature that NO Tesla has is power output. All these new EVs allow at least 7.2 kW power output, this one 10.2 kW. This will be a key selling point! Get yer act together Tesla!
Not sure I agree. I will concede the marketing sounds great and to the uninformed, having a truck that powers your house is better than a truck that won't....but, what do you estimate the average cost to install the electrical equipment required by safety codes to allow the use of advertised feature? $3K? $5K? $10K? I wouldn't spend that even if my CT offered that. CT will have outlets, so instead of spending that kind of money, I would run an extension cord from my truck to my refrigerators in a long outage. I'm not saying that it's useless feature, rather not well understood.

Reactions: DblOSmith