Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Zaxxon, congrats...show us some pics...
Gladly!

DSCF6713.jpg DSCF6714.jpg DSCF6715.jpg DSCF6717.jpg DSCF6720.jpg DSCF6722.jpg DSCF6723.jpg DSCF6724.jpg DSCF6729.jpg DSCF6730.jpg

Wow..what a beauty... Enjoy the ride Zaxxon...

Called Tesla today and got an update. Production of my car is expected sometime next week with delivery approx 3 weeks from now.

3/31/16 Online res
4/18/18 Invite
4/19/18 Config

Red, Aero

Reactions: Zaxxon
Delivery was fine. It was quick, but the DS asked me up front if I'd done research on the car. I lied and said 'yes' rather than 'obsessively for years.' I was already comfortable with most of the interface before we started. Total time at Littleton was about 47 minutes including paperwork (and trade-in).

I'm in no way advocating doing something you're not comfortable with, but I installed my HPWC without much issue after some basic research. Given my garage is unfinished, the panel is in the garage with plenty of breaker space and the run was a 40' straight shot across the ceiling and then down the wall.

I would say if you're comfortable installing a 3-way light switch, you're up to a HPWC connector install. $2400 is absurd. Total parts cost comes in around $300 + $500 WC = $800 ...$1600 in labor to hit a $2400 quote is crazy talk unless you pay your electrician $400/hr. Thats Tesla owner markup at its finest.

I did research the hell out of code requirements, TMC suggestions and watched about every installation video on YouTube while waiting for delivery of the HWPC to install.

Can you briefly describe the run:
- wire size / type
- breaker size
- in conduit or not

I'm comfortable with wiring things up, but want to make sure there's not some obscure code that I run afoul of.

- wire size / type
- breaker size
- in conduit or not

I'm comfortable with wiring things up, but want to make sure there's not some obscure code that I run afoul of.
I had a similar setup that I mostly installed myself (had an electrician acquaintance help with getting the wires into the panel since it involved going outside through the garage wall). I used 6 gauge THHN run in 3/4” EMT conduit with a 60 amp breaker.

It easily passed inspection, but talking to the electrician made it pretty obvious that it wouldn’t be difficult to fail if you don’t know all the relevant code (things like no more than 360° in total bends, along with several things he had to do when running through the wall to the panel). Had I tried to do the entire install myself without having the electricians brain to pick I probably would have failed the inspection.

- wire size / type Southwire 50 ft. 6/3 Stranded Romex SIMpull CU NM-B W/G Wire-63950032 - The Home Depot

- breaker size: 60amp, with loss, it runs 48amp capacity, hitting the 42amp draw of the HPWC: Eaton BR 60 Amp 2 Pole Circuit Breaker-BR260 - The Home Depot

- in conduit or not: only coming down the wall to the HPWC: 3/4 in. EMT Conduit-101550 - The Home Depot

code requirements may vary with your install, but above is what I used.

So I'm going to do a partial wrap on delivery day (37 hours from now) I looked on Google and found a half-dozen or so body shops and detail shops with good reviews within a few miles of the SC. Of them, 3 replied to email and two gave quotes.

Nylund's Collision Center on Santa Fe was similar in price to a body shop that I like up here in Brighton so I went with them. I figured since I'm going to commit the funds to do it, I don't want to take a chance of a rock chip on the drive across town. I plan to keep the car for a decade or more & I figure it will drive me nuts for years if that happens.

Probably overkill but probably not the last time I say that.

The big downside is that I'll get to drive around a little bit before I bring it there & they quoted a 2 day install. Assuming they don't work weekends, they won't be done until Monday & because of my work schedule I won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday. The final big wait... hopefully!