Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Not Much of an Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Model 3 Highland supposedly has updated dampers, bushings AND GEOMETRY. The latter (geometry) may be what it ultimately takes to really improved the Model Y beyond the various things we've seen from Tesla and the aftermarket to date. Sorry, no retrofit for that!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOVA
The new Model 3 Highland supposedly has updated dampers, bushings AND GEOMETRY. The latter (geometry) may be what it ultimately takes to really improved the Model Y beyond the various things we've seen from Tesla and the aftermarket to date. Sorry, no retrofit for that!
Actually, reading the Motor Trebd review of the new Model 3 Highland, they talked about the dampers, bushings and steering knuckle changed to that car. It MAY be possible to retrofit these to an older 3 after all (and, POTENTIALLY, similarly retrofit any Project Juniper changes to existing Model Ys...that's a lot of speculation in my part though especially given comments like "50% of all parts on the Highland 3 are new).

Actually, reading the Motor Trebd review of the new Model 3 Highland, they talked about the dampers, bushings and steering knuckle changed to that car. It MAY be possible to retrofit these to an older 3 after all (and, POTENTIALLY, similarly retrofit any Project Juniper changes to existing Model Ys...that's a lot of speculation in my part though especially given comments like "50% of all parts on the Highland 3 are new).
No, I thought I remember reading of geometry changes to the suspension too. Which means different lengths for everything, meaning it's unlikely to retrofit to an older car.

Tesla would not agree to even retrofit the comfort suspension of 2023 to older models even though the dimensions and most dynamics are exactly alike. The dampers and spring rates were improved. I highly doubt if they will allow retrofit from Highland to older models …
Highland has completely redesigned suspension and geometry. Can't retrofit that.

2023 MYP rides fine with no “booming” in my experience. So it’s either subjective or inconsistent across vehicles.
It’s definitely inconsistent. From various online polls/surveys in the past on forums, I’d say very roughly 1/3 of Y’s exhibit the booming/pressure problem. Far too high for me to gamble and buy a Y. That’s a rabbit hole that has no end to remedies.

Reactions: fetar30310
The after market developments could probably make the current vehicles ride better. I think the Koni Special Active shocks combined with softer springs would help. There are some threads about the Koni already.

Tirerack shows the Koni Special Active shocks are a direct fit. In terms of springs, it shows the usual choices - H&R Sport springs and Eibach - I think we'll need suspension shops to show us whether these would work better. There is a big market for it!

I'm OK with the stock set up right now, but there will come a time to replace the OEM ones.

It’s definitely inconsistent. From various online polls/surveys in the past on forums, I’d say very roughly 1/3 of Y’s exhibit the booming/pressure problem. Far too high for me to gamble and buy a Y. That’s a rabbit hole that has no end to remedies.
What could be more accurate then a Forum pole….. Totally would depend on that validation over say a test drive.

What could be more accurate then a Forum pole….. Totally would depend on that validation over say a test drive.
I did do a test drive very recently of a nearly brand new MYP with just 200 miles. Definitely scared me away from ordering a Y.

It had a serious case of the sound pressure. Then I realized such issue happens quite frequently with the Y.

I would have no problem ordering one if I can test drive the VIN I be assigned prior to signing papers. But, unfortunately, you can’t with a Tesla.

2023 MYP rides fine with no “booming” in my experience. So it’s either subjective or inconsistent across vehicles.
My 22 MYP had booming on the 21 Uberturbines.

Went down to 19 Geminis with the stock tires. Still booming.

Swapped to Geminis with Hankook Ion Evos. Still booming in certain scenarios (rough pavement, namely).

Put the 2023 LR Comfort suspension on my 22 MYP with 19 Geminis and Hankook Ion Evos. Still some booming over the rough pavement, but somewhat reduced. Definitely still there, and definitely not even in the same realm of comparison against other luxury marques' EVs.

My 22 MYP had booming on the 21 Uberturbines.

Went down to 19 Geminis with the stock tires. Still booming.

Swapped to Geminis with Hankook Ion Evos. Still booming in certain scenarios (rough pavement, namely).

Put the 2023 LR Comfort suspension on my 22 MYP with 19 Geminis and Hankook Ion Evos. Still some booming over the rough pavement, but somewhat reduced. Definitely still there, and definitely not even in the same realm of comparison against other luxury marques' EVs.
Good info. Have you tried any or all of the various items in the ear pain/pressure thread (i.e. 3 d printed hatch adjusters, tube inside hatch gasket, exorcism, etc.)?

Good info. Have you tried any or all of the various items in the ear pain/pressure thread (i.e. 3 d printed hatch adjusters, tube inside hatch gasket, exorcism, etc.)?
Am I insensitive or insensate or have CIP; (I know I'm not deaf.....I SAID I KNOW I'M NOT DEAF - to SWMBO in the kitchn). I just don't experience any of the issues I read of here. OK, firm ride but any bumping or rumbling is due to poor road surfaces. There is no booming or echoes in the cabin. The sound system is great.

I love it all! And thank God for that; I could not cope with dissatisfaction (with the Y) plus crazy insurance premiums (renewal quote up by 250%) from first Y year which equates to 450% higher than the X3 insurance for 2022. Add to that runaway depreciation and yes, you need to want the car.

Oh! Did I mention that I will be shopping around for a better insurance deal.

Hey ho! Happy Motoring.