Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confirmed - Production ramp of 5,000/week delayed until late Q1 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could ship those almost-built cars to the service centers near where they will be delivered, then send the batteries when they get it right.

Good side of the delay -- my new expensive car will not see Pittsburgh road salt this winter.

• Funny
Reactions: CmdrThor
I can't say I'm surprised, I basically planned for it being delayed. Is anyone surprised? You'd think that when saying deliveries to begin in October, the order invites would have gone out in September. October went by, with no invites...I'm surprised there was no thread started before about why the invites had not been heard of yet so close to 'production start' ...

Yes, I have read nothing about people getting their email invites to place their orders yet.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I can't say I'm surprised, I basically planned for it being delayed. Is anyone surprised? ...

Disappointed, but not surprised. Musk is, as I've commented before, a chrono-optimist. I expect an excellent car, delivered significantly later than promised.

As for cars sitting in the factory lot awaiting batteries, there's no reason they'd build cars ahead of the batteries. They'd just take up space. It makes more sense to build the cars only when all components, including the battery packs, are on hand.

Bah, so mid-late 2019 till that thing will actually become available for us europeans.

Under those circumstances the classic manufacturers might actually beat tesla to the market with their mystical mass market EVs.
Well, doesn`t matter as long as good EVs come to the mass market at all.

Tesla could ship those almost-built cars to the service centers near where they will be delivered, then send the batteries when they get it right.

Good side of the delay -- my new expensive car will not see Pittsburgh road salt this winter.

The Model 3 battery pack is not easily swappable. You would have to remove trim pieces from the interior of the car to access bolts that hold the pack in place. It is not like the S/X where the bolts are under the car.

It's not on sale - its on decline. I hate it when people try to disguise the truth with a bunch of happy statements.
Uh, not trying to disguise anything. I hate when people try to determine underlying motivation and get it wrong. I have had *some* success at buying stock when events like this happen, when I believe it will bounce back. I've always used the terminology of 'on sale'.

Uh, not trying to disguise anything. I hate when people try to determine underlying motivation and get it wrong. I have had *some* success at buying stock when events like this happen, when I believe it will bounce back. I've always used the terminology of 'on sale'.
I'm not trying to determine motivation....I'm only gong by what is being said. Tesla's stock is going down because of horrible news. I hate it when the stock goes down. I don't like it nor make light of it.

It doesn't matter. The topic is delays and more delays.

Just got this email:

Thank you again for your Model 3 reservation. We’re making significant progress clearing early production bottlenecks but, as we continue to work through them, your estimated delivery timing will now be slightly later than we originally expected. Over the next 24 hours, you can log into your Tesla Account at any time to view your updated delivery window.
Thank you for your patience and, more importantly, for believing in a sustainable energy future. We’re working hard to make it happen.
You can find more information on your reservation, your delivery timing, and get a first look at the latest Model 3 vehicles coming off the line here.

Just got this email:

Thank you again for your Model 3 reservation. We’re making significant progress clearing early production bottlenecks but, as we continue to work through them, your estimated delivery timing will now be slightly later than we originally expected. Over the next 24 hours, you can log into your Tesla Account at any time to view your updated delivery window.
Thank you for your patience and, more importantly, for believing in a sustainable energy future. We’re working hard to make it happen.
You can find more information on your reservation, your delivery timing, and get a first look at the latest Model 3 vehicles coming off the line here.

I just got the same email.

Who can make this sound good for me?

I also just got the email letting me know it's going to be delayed.

It's too early to say but it appears that deliveries could move out by more than one full quarter from where Tesla anticipated it which I believe makes this a much bigger snafu than Model X or S rollouts.

This is a huge black eye to Tesla. They are blaming this in the supplier/contractor who built the Giga-2 plant systems but that's complete obfuscation. It's Tesla's job to validate everything that supplier was doing, so if they weren't ready Tesla should have known about it months ago, not a few weeks ago.

Honestly it seems as though they've been trying to find a way to spin this. There have been extremely few deliveries this month so I'm left to assume that production is essentially at tiny levels until this is completely resolved.

My original estimate for an early LR build was March-April of 2017 I expect now it will slide out to at least Aug-Sept.

No news on whether the AWD and other options will "catch up" with these battery delays but this is really bad news for Tesla. Stock down 5% in after hours trading but this is much worse than that. A bunch of investors are probably doing the napkin math right now to figure out where Tesla's cash burn figures against the billions in delayed revenue due to Model-3 epic kersplat.

"...key elements of which were done by manufacturing systems suppliers, had to be taken over and significantly redesigned by Tesla. ..."

I'm not sure their marketing folk understand what that means. Translation from adspeak to manufacturian:

"We do not know how to procure suppliers. We are starting from near scratch and trying something else in the hope that it works better."

Trouble producing complete battery assys was known in July. They built cars in July which had battery assys in them.