Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you read the linked article, you would have seen that "All patients entering the trial had laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 that was being treated in the outpatient setting." Yet 45% were already seropositive (had native antibodies). And since the Walter Reed MDs failed to answer the question as to when Trump's last negative test was, he could have been infected for many days.

Possible, but not likely.

It varies, of course, but on average you need to have been infected for about 10 days before you seroconvert (and that's just the 50% population threshold).
Antibody Seroconversion Response in COVID-19

Symptoms usually start to show up around day 4-6.

EDIT - I would be a tad surprised if it had been 10 days or more since he was last tested (no matter what they say to the public).

Reactions: PACEMD
I have perhaps been unclear in my writing. I am not trying to suggest that no treatments are effective. I do currently believe that decadron and remdesivir are our current best treatment options. What I am suggesting, however, is there are still many unknowns and a lot of work ahead of us. We can speculate about who will do better and who worse, and we can speculate about which treatments will eventually pan out. Speculation becomes accurate only with experience, time, and proof.

It varies, of course, but on average you need to have been infected for about 10 days before you seroconvert (and that's just the 50% population threshold).
Antibody Seroconversion Response in COVID-19

Regeneron's own data shows that those patients, 45% of whom ALREADY HAD antibodies, only had symptoms for 3.5 days. Not 10 days.

https://investor.regeneron.com/static-files/a596a85e-e72d-4529-8eb5-d52d87a99070

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 8.57.10 PM.png

If you read the linked article, you would have seen that "All patients entering the trial had laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 that was being treated in the outpatient setting." Yet 45% were already seropositive (had native antibodies). And since the Walter Reed MDs failed to answer the question as to when Trump's last negative test was, he could have been infected for many days.

Antibody response takes more than a couple of days. There really isn't a lot to compare in the reported trial given that the subject were much younger (mean age ~45) and the timing of their exposure was much longer. However in theory this should be a better approach the earlier you give it - which corresponds to the subjects w/ low titers experiencing more benefit.

I think by giving the Regneron product and then the anti-viral the thinking was to knock the virus down as much as possible and then the to knock it out. Unclear how well this will work, but I'm sure they will dose him again if the virus levels spike back up.

Not that I know what it means, but I read somewhere that the producing company said that in his case it was a "monoclonal" antibody treatment. In case that makes a difference.

They should have called it a duoclonal antibody, since it is a combo of two monoclonals, based on what Regeneron says. :) I *think* this just means it is targeted at two different virus surface proteins. Locks on and prevents the virus from infecting cells, or something like that.

Last edited:
No MD would've recommended an experimental treatment with no proven safety profile if he was in the low risk group and therefore unlikely to benefit from the treatment.
Have you seen some of the physicians Trump has praised and taken advice from? At least Remdesivir is approved for treatment of COVID-19.

They should have called it a duoclonal antibody, since it is a combo of two monoclonals, based on what Regeneron says. :) I *think* this just means it is targeted at two different virus surface proteins. Locks on and prevents the virus from infecting cells, or something like that.

I'd think "duoclonal" would fall in the "polyclonal' category between that and a "monoclonal" category. More confusion....

I'd think "duoclonal" would fall in the "polyclonal' category between that and a "monoclonal" category. More confusion....

Apparently part of the confusion here is that the initial press release incorrectly referred to it as a polyclonal antibody cocktail. The White House doctor also can't be bothered to learn how to spell Regeneron, though, so this is not surprising. I get the impression that I'd prefer to have the White House doctor caring for me if I had been shot, but not so much if I have a deadly virus.

I think technically, it is a monoclonal antibody cocktail, composed of two monoclonal antibodies.

About REGN-COV2
REGN-COV2 is a combination of two monoclonal antibodies (REGN10933 and REGN10987) and was designed specifically to block infectivity of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

To develop REGN-COV2, Regeneron scientists evaluated thousands of fully-human antibodies produced by the company's VelocImmune® mice, which have been genetically modified to have a human immune system, as well as antibodies identified from humans who have recovered from COVID-19. The two potent, virus-neutralizing antibodies that form REGN-COV2 bind non-competitively to the critical receptor binding domain of the virus's spike protein, which diminishes the ability of mutant viruses to escape treatment and protects against spike variants that have arisen in the human population, as detailed in Science. Preclinical studies have shown that REGN-COV2 reduced the amount of virus and associated damage in the lungs of non-human primates.

Regeneron's REGN-COV2 Antibody Cocktail Reduced Viral Levels and Improved Symptoms in Non-Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients | Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc.

EjcrYZUWAAAmGvo.jpeg

https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1312565519199997953?s=20

Everything associated with this administration appears to have a default state that is "sh**show," including press conferences and news releases.

Last edited:
Regeneron scientists evaluated thousands of fully-human antibodies produced by the company's VelocImmune® mice, which have been genetically modified to have a human immune system, as well as antibodies identified from humans who have recovered from COVID-19.

Does this mean, that someone could contract COVID-19 (or some other disease) from these mice having human-like immune system, if they got loose?

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush