Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yes, at this point it's tough to figure out why (is it something biologically different with young children? Or is it the measures put in place?), but there seems to be consistently a story that schools don't dominate transmission. Unlike most businesses, who are subject to viral attacks from anti-mask intruders, schools can be pretty strict about keeping good compliance with the masking rules, and other infection control procedures based on CDC recommendations. They might help a fair amount.

I tend to think it's a combination of both. Add fast antigen tests on top of that, with no relaxation of other measures, and "COVID is over" in schools.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Not sure if I agree with your stance, at least locally where our schools require masks and other precautions. Historically, my kids (7 and 5), and my wife (who is a teacher), would have gotten sick at least 3 times each by now. My kids (knock on wood) haven't gotten a cold since last March when everything was shut down and masks became required in public. Also, there has been no indication of any COVID spreading amongst students at the schools in my County so far.

I have been semi joking that even once Covid is behind us they should still require kids to wear masks at school and require masks on airplanes. Dealing with sick kids constantly during the school year is never fun.

Shut down the schools and force kids into day care centers or having grandparents watch them will increase the spread and put the Grandparents lives at risk.

Not sure you quoted the right person, since you seem to agree with dgatwood (and myself - have an 9yo and 11yo).

Edit: seems I'm mis-reading things here. Unmasked kids spread germs (I think that's agreed upon). Masks help stop the spread. Masked kids are an acceptable risk? Is that the issue?

Unmasked kids spread germs (I think that's agreed upon). Masks help stop the spread. Masked kids are an acceptable risk? Is that the issue?

It's hard to know the "correct" answer for sure, but the question at issue here is whether schools are responsible for making outbreaks worse.

There are various reasons to think that kids (elementary age, not high school/junior high) may be less contagious than adolescents/adults. Just based on the data. And then the masking and other procedures seem to help further. Undoubtedly unmasked kids spread germs, but it may be much less than unmasked adults and unmasked adolescents.

And in the end, it seems that many epidemiologists believe that schools do not drive spread. That's not to say they don't cause spread. They likely do. But given their importance, I think the idea is that elementary schools can likely be left open and we can have effective virus suppression (possibly by shutting a bunch of other unnecessary & unimportant stuff down, like restaurants (eliminate inside and possibly outside dining), gyms, large gatherings, and other businesses implicated in high spread). So yes, an acceptable risk.

Reactions: EVCollies
It is also likely that states had more restrictions because they had worse outbreaks. There could be some underlaying reason why they had a worse outbreak, for example population density etc that are still relevant.

Possibly. The list of parameters that can affect these outcomes is very long.

They try to make a comparison
Two Rural States With GOP Governors And Very Different COVID-19 Results

"One of the things happening in South Dakota is an infection rate that's among the worst in the nation, at about 8,000 cases per 100,000 people.
In Vermont, another small, rural state with a Republican governor, Gov. Phil Scott has embraced safety measures, and the differences are pretty stark. Like South Dakota, Vermont has fewer than 1 million residents, most of whom don't live in cities. It has about 500 cases per 100,000 people. That's the lowest rate in the nation.
Vermont has recorded a total of 3,310 confirmed coronavirus infections since the pandemic began. South Dakota has recorded more new coronavirus infections than that so far this week, with 5,559 confirmed cases. And South Dakota has more than 10 times as many total COVID-19 deaths."

--------------
Vermont has a pop density of 67.7/sq mi
South Dakota has a pop density of 11.44/sq mi

Another data point on kids in schools (Google translated)
Google Translate

"Even in schools, schoolchildren are infected with the corona virus.
But the risk of infection is obviously much lower in school than outside of school.
Of 372 students infected with Corona between the summer and autumn holidays, it is very likely that at least 292 (78 percent) were not infected at all in school, but outside of school.
It is also noticeable that younger schoolchildren under the age of 12 are only half as likely to be infected as older ones, while older students are infected just as often as adults."

Possibly. The list of parameters that can affect these outcomes is very long.

They try to make a comparison
Two Rural States With GOP Governors And Very Different COVID-19 Results

"One of the things happening in South Dakota is an infection rate that's among the worst in the nation, at about 8,000 cases per 100,000 people.
In Vermont, another small, rural state with a Republican governor, Gov. Phil Scott has embraced safety measures, and the differences are pretty stark. Like South Dakota, Vermont has fewer than 1 million residents, most of whom don't live in cities. It has about 500 cases per 100,000 people. That's the lowest rate in the nation.
Vermont has recorded a total of 3,310 confirmed coronavirus infections since the pandemic began. South Dakota has recorded more new coronavirus infections than that so far this week, with 5,559 confirmed cases. And South Dakota has more than 10 times as many total COVID-19 deaths."

--------------
Vermont has a pop density of 67.7/sq mi
South Dakota has a pop density of 11.44/sq mi

Population density is very tricky. For example in Sweden many people live in Stockholm in a pretty small area while in the north of the country very few people live. Overall Sweden gets a pretty low population density, but where people live the density is not as low as the figure would indicate.

Other relevant population density metrics would be number of people per household, housing area per capita etc.

Even if I knew nothing about what policy was adopted I would guess that:
New York, Belgium, Madrid etc would get hit hard but that
Alaska, Finland, Marbella etc would get hit less hard

Then for some countries I would be wrong, like Singapore, China etc, but that would be explained by policy, genetics, previous immunity etc. They had to enact really strong policies because otherwise their R would be very high.

I would say I definitely don’t know, but reliable epidemiologists I follow seem to think this is true. I have no idea. (And as I said, I am only talking about elementary school in this entire conversation; children under 12.). Not inclined to go searching for the latest studies right now.

I would say that this could be different than normal respiratory viruses - most kids are not showing symptoms at all, and that may limit their infectiousness.

We’ll probably find out for sure next year when it is too late.

But I’d reiterate that school is important enough that it should be the absolute last thing shut (this is not what is being done in NYC). It’s dumb. People should be arrested for going to bars and restaurants before they shut down elementary schools, in my opinion. (At this point in the pandemic, anyway, with what we know now. We just had no idea in March/April of what the dangers were, and no way to control spread.)

Anyhow. They should have been reopened this year with fast antigen tests for every student, every day, and then the question of whether or not outbreaks spread in schools readily would have been largely moot.

Seems like a good idea. I would actually guess that SOMEONE is doing a similar study.

It’s one of the most frustrating things about this pandemic that there is very little information shared by the gov’t about the Pareto of how infections are acquired. They must know at this point.

The South Koreans found that kids 0-10 did not transmit the virus very well, but kids 11-20 did. In both groups severe cases were very rare and asymptomatic cases were common.

It is also likely that states had more restrictions because they had worse outbreaks. There could be some underlaying reason why they had a worse outbreak, for example population density etc that are still relevant.

Oregon has been better than most US states from the beginning at no time breaking into the top states for infection. The worst county in the state is a rural, extremely conservative county. Multnomah County, where Portland is and the most populous has fared better than many rural counties. The most populous counties are ticking up in cases, as is the rest of the country, but they are well below the national average.

The San Francisco Bay Area had a bad outbreak that started in a prison but throughout the pandemic they have fared better than most cities.

Most of the worst counties in the US are rural ones. Cities have built in difficulties containing outbreaks because people are so close together to begin with. As a result all the bigger cities in the US have had some outbreaks, but the places where people shun measures to stop the virus' spread have had it the worst.

If North Dakota was a country, it would have the worst outbreak in the world. South Dakota would be #3. North Dakota has the 4th lowest population density in the US (4 Km2), South Dakota is 5th. Only Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska are less dense. The largest city in North Dakota is Fargo with 128,000 people, South Dakota's largest city is Sioux Falls with 181,000 people. Both are very low density cities with most people living in single family homes with some space around every house.

For comparison the Portland, Oregon metro area is about 2.4 million people. More than both of the above states combined.

If you did a county by county political map of the US and compared it to a current COVID map, you would find a fairly strong correlation. There are some exceptions, but they are usually surrounded with COVID hot spots and too many cases are coming and going to contain.

In a lot of countries politics is not playing a role in COVID containment, which is the way it should be, but it's a highly politicized topic in the United States which is why the US is a serious mess and getting worse.

I thought the piece was about Elon's emotionally intelligent response, but it was about the doctor's. My partner is a domestic violence and anger management perpetrator counselor. She has a very low recidivism rate because she is very talented at getting around people's boundaries and getting them to listen.

Population density is very tricky. For example in Sweden many people live in Stockholm in a pretty small area while in the north of the country very few people live. Overall Sweden gets a pretty low population density, but where people live the density is not as low as the figure would indicate.

Other relevant population density metrics would be number of people per household, housing area per capita etc.

Even if I knew nothing about what policy was adopted I would guess that:
New York, Belgium, Madrid etc would get hit hard but that
Alaska, Finland, Marbella etc would get hit less hard

Then for some countries I would be wrong, like Singapore, China etc, but that would be explained by policy, genetics, previous immunity etc. They had to enact really strong policies because otherwise their R would be very high.

Not so much in the US.

Here is a population density map of the US
Population Density by County: 2010

Now go here and select Counties and Daily Confirmed case
Per capita covid-19 cases and deaths

You will find a lot of very rural counties showing up pink on the second map. New York City is currently at 20.4 cases / day / 100,000 people. North Slope Borough Alaska (population less than 10,000) has 50.9 cases / day / 100,000. And there are several boroughs in Alaska over 100 cases / 100,000 per day.

People's behavior has a huge impact on spread. The data is pretty clear.

Population density is definitely a factor, but a place with a high population density can still keep this under control with the right measures.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(20)30172-5/fulltext
"Interpretation
Although SARS-CoV-2 RNA shedding in respiratory and stool samples can be prolonged, duration of viable virus is relatively short-lived. SARS-CoV-2 titres in the upper respiratory tract peak in the first week of illness. Early case finding and isolation, and public education on the spectrum of illness and period of infectiousness are key to the effective containment of SARS-CoV-2."

COVID-19 Infectiousness Found to be Highest in Early Stages of Disease

"...people who are infected with SARS-CoV-2 seem to be highly infectious within the first week of showing symptoms.

Studies have shown that no live virus has been detected in any type of sample past a nine-day period once symptoms have started. However, SARS-CoV-2 genetic material has been found in both stool and respiratory samples for several weeks, though this cannot cause infection.

The main source of transmission appears to stem from the upper respiratory tract in the early stages of the disease, likely from the onset of symptoms to day five. This is thought to be why it is likely the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) spreads faster in comparison to SARS-CoV or MERS-CoV."

If the South Philadelphia Lowes is any indication, this city is ripe for spread. What was once pretty decent compliance is now bordering on disbelief(or fatigue). We instituted another "shutdown", but beyond making nonessential workers work from home, it's really just no more indoor restaurants or gyms. We don't have an insane number of new cases/death, and I'm not hearing of full hospitals yet, but we're not trying too hard.

* and for the record, I wouldn't have gone into Lowes except the curbside pickup lady kept hanging up on me (<-- South Philly customer service)

** nearly everyone working in Lowes was a scab and what I would consider nearly useless. That would not ordinarily be the case, so rational folks must've all quit. Smart.

• Informative
Yes, at this point it's tough to figure out why (is it something biologically different with young children? Or is it the measures put in place?), but there seems to be consistently a story that schools don't dominate transmission. Unlike most businesses, who are subject to viral attacks from anti-mask intruders, schools can be pretty strict about keeping good compliance with the masking rules, and other infection control procedures based on CDC recommendations. They might help a fair amount.

I tend to think it's a combination of both. Add fast antigen tests on top of that, with no relaxation of other measures, and "COVID is over" in schools.

i think it’s mainly the measures in place and doing a decent job following them. All the cases In my area mainly come from college campuses, spike at nursing homes, and family/friend indoor gatherings. Numbers have been steadily rising though over the last few weeks.

• Informative
The results are surprisingly few positive tests, given the county’s positivity rate of 3.5% yesterday. The positivity rate at schools so far: 0.18%.​

This drives me nuts. The county's 3.5% is based on testing symptomatic people plus some exposed people found via contact tracing. That's a target-rich environment. The school testing is random which will naturally produce dramatically lower positivity.

If 3.5% of your whole population is infected you've got real problems. Massachusetts was around 3.5% at their peak in early April, when things were quite bad.

The results are surprisingly few positive tests, given the county’s positivity rate of 3.5% yesterday. The positivity rate at schools so far: 0.18%.​

This drives me nuts. The county's 3.5% is based on testing symptomatic people plus some exposed people found via contact tracing. That's a target-rich environment. The school testing is random which will naturally produce dramatically lower positivity.

If 3.5% of your whole population is infected you've got real problems. Massachusetts was around 3.5% at their peak in early April, when things were quite bad.

i agree. Can’t really draw any real conclusion from that.

of course, I don’t really know much about these things, just my observations based on where I live.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Definitely starting to be a real chance the Dakotas will have a higher death rate than NYC. Not for sure yet - they need to let this thing rip for a couple more weeks then it should be a done deal. For North Dakota that would be pretty impressive as they are slightly younger than NYC on average. Great Success.

Also Michigan now requesting infected or potentially infected healthcare workers come to work

Michigan hospital workers exposed to COVID-19 to still come to work

"So long as they’re asymptomatic, those employees are required to do their jobs while awaiting test results, according to policies at Michigan Medicine, Beaumont Health, Munson Healthcare and others.
Several health systems say those results are available within 24 to 48 hours. But in areas where testing shortages are causing delays, those results can take up to five days, including at Munson Healthcare, northern Michigan’s largest health system.
Swabs wait to be scanned and tested for Coronavirus COVID-19 at the pathology and laboratory medicine labs at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan on March 17, 2020.
Munson employees have been instructed to report to work even if “asked to quarantine by your local health department,” as long as they’re asymptomatic and awaiting test results.

“Other than coming to work, you should quarantine at home. This means only leaving your home to come to work. Other than coming to work, please follow the other guidelines from the Health Department."
Due to short staffing, Mercy Health staff in Muskegon are also being asked to work on COVID-19 floors while they wait for test results, says Kevin Lignell, a spokesperson for SEIU Healthcare Michigan, the union representing workers.
“According to our (SEIU) president, if you have an exposure you are not exempt from anything unless you start showing symptoms,” Lignell said in an email Thursday. “We have (health care workers who are) spouses and parents (and) who are living with positive people working both COVID and non-COVID areas.”
---------------
Guessing we'll see more of that for a while to come.
But it is what it is, nothing could have been done.

A nearby small school system just shut down because of cases Cases of COVID-19 Shut Down In-School Learning in T-burg

this has been pretty common around here. If a school finds a positive case they either send that class home for online for a couple of weeks or shut down that school for online only for a few days and sometimes up to 2 weeks depending on people involved and what the contract tracing uncovers.

my wife’s school was online for 2 weeks when a handful of teachers and aides tested positive. They were all fine and taught from home before coming back after 2 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Yeah, good to keep that study in context. It does not demonstrate that masks are ineffective, of course.

The Danish study itself says:
...these findings do not provide data on the effectiveness of widespread mask wearing in the community in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections. They do, however, offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks.

in other words, the study was just determining if the masks protected the wearer from virus from others. During the study, few non-participants were wearing masks.

These were surgical masks and, like cloth masks, are best used to prevent you from infecting others. They should protect the wearer somewhat but to really protect the wearer an N95 or KN95 mask should be worn along with some kind of eye protection like glasses, goggles, or a face shield.

On the other hand, Vermont currently has the highest effective virus reproductive rate (R value) in the country at 1.46. The virus is quickly spreading there but starting from very low numbers.

I’m noticing this in other New England states that had low levels during the summer but now have effective R rates as high as the Dakotas and states nearby. I think there are multiple aspects driving the current outbreak but one of them is simply cold climates that are forcing people indoors where the virus transmits more easily. The effective R rates are above 1.0 (growing) in every state except tropical and humid Hawaii. In states along the southern border the growth rate is typically lower than stars to the north.