Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our local Starbucks is drive-through only. Seems reasonable.

hey, reminder to everyone patronizing businesses like Starbucks to be nice tip wise for these people. I’m sure they’d rather be home and don’t really make a lot of money waiting on us. I’m sure since traffic into the stores is non-existent, they have reduced staffing as well. My Starbucks Drive-thru is my one piece of normalcy in my life right now and I do appreciate that they are there even if for only a hot coffee in the morning.

The only thing I don't know is if the stock market will be shut down completely, and if that happens, what that will do to my Puts.....
A problem with shutting down markets is it might be followed by calls to cancel this year's elections. The Supreme Court would supposedly have allowed this in 1944, but FDR decided to have the elections. Would today's Supreme Court allow this? I don't know.

• Informative
Reactions: BornToFly
Exactly. I have employees and co-owners of my company that believe that 95% of what is going on is either:
A) an excuse for the governments to claim more power (i.e. these are the libertarians)
B) completely made up (i.e. the science deniers and anti-vaxers)
C) end of the world (i.e. those that see this causing the end of society)

At what grade in school did we teach the suspension of rational thought?
In the red states, that's been the standard for some time.

Last edited:
I am not optimistic about lock down working.

The lockdown did work in Wuhan. After ~2 weeks if you're not sick you're clear. If you can keep ~everyone apart for ~2 weeks you lower the R0 to <1 and it burns out.

I saw one idea on CNBC I thought was genius. Just freeze EVERYTHING for 30 days nationally. No one collects rent, mortgages, student loans, car payments etc, etc. Anything and everything that can be deferred for a month gets deferred for a month. ~$1k/person to buy groceries or whatever. 30 day national lockdown and get it over.

Rather than invest in face mask production for the entire nation, the trump sociopath has decided to give the the airlines 50B to cover their stock buybacks in 2019.

That should do wonders to tap down the epidemic

C'mon, there you go again with childish name calling & political rant......as an intelligent Physician I don't understand why you need to communicate that way.

Transportation is an essential industry & important for national security.

You obviously haven't run a company and must lean toward a non-Capitalistic society.

FWIW: when I ran companies, I had 3 constituents to service: clients, employees, investors.

If you follow the airline industry, and particularly as their finances improved from the "Lehman shock", they gave big raises to their employees and were right to reward investors as well.

Now, the third one, clients: only Delta has done a decent job there.....AA & UA, the pits, Jet Blue OK as well.

I took his post despite the choice of words to say spend the money first on protecting the masses with a simple product that can cut transmission instead of prioritizing an industry that quite honestly isn’t flying that much right now. I get all the jobs involved with the airlines but instead help support those laid off airline workers instead at this particular moment.

FWIW to anyone with asthma that gets this covid19 crap, I am at day 11 and struggling to avoid ER.

My wife made a garlic salve that is rubbed into my chest and back so from both sides of lungs and have noticed it really helps improve things for a while, just have to keep up regular application I guess as it seems to weirdly enough be just as helpful or more as all my asthma medications, application is supposed to be every 4hrs but I have only used it maybe 2x daily, and not everyday but do notice the difference for a few hours after used, so I will have to get better about applying it. Get an old shirt to wear after it is applied, takes 15min to soak into the skin. Slightly repulsive, smells delicious, but seemingly works.

8 cloves garlic
2/3 cup coconut oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
blend smooth in blender and stored in fridge for up to 2 weeks

survive

If you really think you have COVID-19 I would advise you to call your health care provider ASAP and try to get a proscription for hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine phosphate (if the former is out of stock). These are proving to be effective treatments based on early clinical study results and have relatively low side effects. Unfortunately I don't see anyone talking yet about massively ramping up domestic supply and I predict they will be out of stock shortly if they are not already. I already read one thread on reddit where doctors are prescribing it to themselves to make sure they get some of the dwindling supply.

I took his post despite the choice of words to say spend the money first on protecting the masses with a simple product that can cut transmission instead of prioritizing an industry that quite honestly isn’t flying that much right now. I get all the jobs involved with the airlines but instead help support those laid off airline workers instead at this particular moment.

Multi-tasking is the key here....address all constituents.

People are getting money but if the impaired industry groups do not also get support, they will go bankrupt....and if they do, the employees may not have a job to go back to.

If you really think you have COVID-19 I would advise you to call your health care provider ASAP and try to get a proscription for hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine phosphate (if the former is out of stock). These are proving to be effective treatments based on early clinical study results and have relatively low side effects. Unfortunately I don't see anyone talking yet about massively ramping up domestic supply and I predict they will be out of stock shortly if they are not already. I already read one thread on reddit where doctors are prescribing it to themselves to make sure they get some of the dwindling supply.

Not clinical trials. In vitro trials (test tubes). The "clinical" trials everyone is referring to have simply not been released for anyone to review the data.

Also, these two drugs are NOT without significant side effects. Anyone with heart problems needs an EKG before they are started on these medications, or there is a serious risk of death from long QT syndrome.

That is not what I am saying.
I understand the stimulus as necessary to avoid economic collapse. This happens at the level of regular people and it happens at the level of corporations. The Gov is not replacing 100% of worker income -- or anything close. The same degree of prop makes sense to extend to corporations. That might explain $10B to the airlines. The other $40B is corrupt, crony capitalism. Just look at the operating expenses of the airline industry prior to Covid-19.

Reactions: byeLT4
Until one of the baristas gets sick and hands out SARS-CoV-2 with every cup that comes out of the drive-through.

You mean one infected person goes through the drive through, that has been covering their cough with their hands, and hands contaminated money to the barista that then transfers that on to everything they touch and hands out afterwards. (Even while wearing gloves to protect themself.)

You mean one sicks person goes through the drive through and hands contaminated money to the barista that then transfers that on to everything they touch and hands out afterwards. (Even while wearing gloves to protect themself.)

Or that same barista comes back a few days with very mild symptoms, but is working and handing out SARS-CoV-2 with every cup.

"Hey, I didn't ask for a topping of virus with that!"

Very interesting. Perhaps this is just my confirmation bias talking, but that's how the disease has been "feeling" for a while - higher R0 (but R able to be effectively lowered by control policies, such as in China and South Korea), and a low IFR, with the CFR being misleadingly high due to how small a percentage of cases have been caught by testing.

Waited for someone smarter than me to say this :D

I've been driving myself crazy poring over the data. I think it was almost 2 weeks ago that I came to this same conclusion. We really should have been testing absolutely everyone from the very beginning. Some hospitals will be overwhelmed. Imagine giving everyone in the world the flu at the same time (about same IFR). Not good. But there should be a steep drop off in deaths and herd immunity should come much faster than expected.

But, yea, could be my confirmation bias, as well.

The lockdown did work in Wuhan. After ~2 weeks if you're not sick you're clear. If you can keep ~everyone apart for ~2 weeks you lower the R0 to <1 and it burns out.
That is the hope, but until Wuhan returns to normal activity we do not know if the reset is effective. I am hopeful it will be, since I expect the Chinese authorities to remain vigilant and aggressive in isolating new cases and I expect the Chinese populace to remain compliant with face mask use, social distancing, and symptom reporting.