Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have had a lot of temp workers come back over the last few days from US, EU and ME. The people who are back aren't strictly following self-quarantine. Infact most people are fine when they come back but develop symptoms later - apparently its the flight and airport itself that infects people.

They are terrified of domestic transmission and want to stop it. That's why a total lock down - including flights.

It is an interesting experiment - and we'll have to see whether they succeed in completely avoiding local transmissions. It is also interesting how parties with similar ideology can take opposite steps (BJP is as, if not more, anti-science than GOP).

Not worried about rural areas - with low density and tradition of figuring out how to keep infected people away. More worried about cities and small-towns. Ofcourse rural areas are dependent on small-towns.

Oh I worry. Their rural areas have the population density of a major city.

Not true - as you can see the difference between hospitalized and confirmed numbers. Infact only ~15% of confirmed are hospitalized - 3,234/25,665.

I think they are testing people who are clearly symptomatic and the doctors think there is a high chance of it being covid. Of those positive, people with complications are getting admitted.
Not (quite) fake news. New York City is recommending to only test cases that require hospitalization.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/han/advisory/2020/covid-19-03202020.pdf
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 8.57.37 PM.png

Chloroquine phosphate is the same thing, everyone just refers to it as chloroquine.
Chloroquine: MedlinePlus Drug Information

Seems there IS a difference... so lesson of the day, don't go to PetCo when you get sick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/24/coronavirus-chloroquine-poisoning-death/

"That pharmaceutical name matched the label on a bottle of chemicals they used to clean their koi pond, NBC News reported. The fish tank solvent that treats aquatic parasites contains the same active ingredient as the drug, but in a different form that can poison people."

"posts"?

you want to complain about posts when dangerous 'leaders' are risking lives?

SERIOUSLY? you find fault in the post and not the thing the post is about?

or, did I offend your world-view and that's why you think its "stupid" to blame those that ignore reason and put others at risk for the sake of fairy tales?

sorry, but mitts are off. some world views cause others to die. that's NOT ACCEPTABLE anymore.

Yes, that post in particular. If you step back from a simplistic and over exaggerated view, you would be able to harmonize with your internal world-view that this is a natural phenomenon where the strong will survive.

But instead...Blah...Blah...Trump....Blah...everyone dying....Blah....Blah....need someone to blame....Blah

Last edited:
As a doctor (based on one of your earlier proclamations), let me ask you this: Once a person is infected with the virus, regardless of whether or not they have any symptoms, will they still be virus carriers 2 weeks after the incubation period (or symptoms) end?

Actually, that's a GREAT question.

It depends upon the virus and the immune status of the person. We don't know enough about this virus to determine if there is a carrier sub-group, but I will point out some viruses that are notorious for the immune system being unable to fully clear, and leave the person as a carrier or continually infected:
HIV
Hep C
Herpes I and II

There is some evidence, although anecdotal, that not all people that get SARS-CoV-2 clear it. There are some reports of "super-spreaders" as the media has labeled them.

We need more info to make a proper determination for this virus, and virologists will be studying SARS-CoV-2 for years.

If the idiots in KY want to have their coronavirus parties, let them. But they should have to sign a waiver first that says they give up any medical care for their stupidity.

I'd say they can have medical care but until the general population has herd immunity they are on house arrest with quarantine tape/signs on the house, ankle bracelets, police tracking, and deferred sentences lined up and waiting for them should they break the house arrest.

Doesn't matter if the herd immunity is by vaccine or by natural processes. Doesn't matter how many months or years that takes.

Yes, that post in particular. If you step back from a simplistic and over exaggerated view, you would be able to harmonize with your internal world-view that this is a natural phenomenon where the strong will survive.

But instead...Blah...Blah...Trump....Blah...everyone dying....Blah....Blah....need someone to blame....Blah

natural phenom? really? are you really such a cold hearted SOB?

natural phenom? really? are you really such a cold hearted SOB?
your world view...not mine

My preference is that the thread keep on topic and not your anti trump, doomsday, religious prophecies... that is what i was responding to in your original post....dragging down the quality of what we want on this particular thread.

I see very little numbers in the Southern states. what information are you using?

It turns out that little numbers become big numbers. Check back on Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana in about a week, for a start. Might be a few other states that really get up a head of steam too - depends on the specific policies put in place (upper Midwest is definitely going to be a problem). Louisiana might barely manage to escape disaster, but I suspect it is too late, due to Mardi Gras. That was probably an excellent superspreading seeding event.

Anyway, I suspect it will be quite bad, but at the moment I don't see another New York out there (would be hard to rival the density there). The governors are really playing chicken with this. Does look like we could be pushing through a million actual (not counted) cases sometime end of next week, though.

GLTA!

Reactions: vwman111
@TheTalkingMule has at least two people who agree with him. These two doctors say the IFR might be as low as 0.06%. For some reason they don't explain how South Korea only caught 9,137 of their 210,000 cases... In fact they don't mention South Korea at all. Strange. I guess it's worth it to get published in the WSJ. We should know if their prediction of only 20,000-40,000 deaths in the US is true in the next few weeks, just in time for Easter.
Opinion | Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Not (quite) fake news. New York City is recommending to only test cases that require hospitalization.
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/han/advisory/2020/covid-19-03202020.pdf
View attachment 525407
NYC (and LA) are pushing non-emergency testing out of the ERs and toward the dedicated drive-thru/walk-up sites where it belongs. This reduces cross-mingling of Covid spreaders and other sick or injured people. It can also help protects admittance staff. But most importantly, it conserves hospital PPE.

The PPE shortage is also slowing the drive-thru and walk-up sites, though. That's why Dr. Birx, and I assume Admiral Giroir, are pushing the self-swab kit.

Dang Jackson Browne just announced he tested positive, but is doing better fortunately. Thinks he picked it up at NYC concert on March 12, so figure his incubation period being in the 5-12 day period. Loved his music back in the 80s. More and more celebs, musicians, actors are making the news. Maybe it will have some impact on the younger population to take it more seriously.

Jackson Browne tests positive for coronavirus

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and kbM3
your world view...not mine

My preference is that the thread keep on topic and not your anti trump, doomsday, religious prophecies... that is what i was responding to in your original post....dragging down the quality of what we want on this particular thread.

The solution to low-quality posters is to squelch them (that's what I've done). Those that still wish to read them, are free to do so, but you don't have to.

Walmart, Kroger and Albertsons are adding sneeze guards to their checkouts in an attempt to better protect their cashiers. Creative I guess in light of the lack of masks to wear.

Coronavirus prevention: Walmart, Kroger, Albertsons taking measures

The distancing decals on the floor is something I saw on the news tonight with regard to a Bay Area restaurant trying to keep patrons picking up orders apart from each other.

Reactions: Lessmog
Actually, that's a GREAT question.

It depends upon the virus and the immune status of the person. We don't know enough about this virus to determine if there is a carrier sub-group, but I will point out some viruses that are notorious for the immune system being unable to fully clear, and leave the person as a carrier or continually infected:
HIV
Hep C
Herpes I and II

There is some evidence, although anecdotal, that not all people that get SARS-CoV-2 clear it. There are some reports of "super-spreaders" as the media has labeled them.

We need more info to make a proper determination for this virus, and virologists will be studying SARS-CoV-2 for years.

I don't believe any of the other corona virus family leaves someone contagious after they have gotten over it. That's probably a good long term sign for COVID-19, though there is no proof that this won't be an exception.

It turns out that little numbers become big numbers. Check back on Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana in about a week, for a start. Might be a few other states that really get up a head of steam too - depends on the specific policies put in place (upper Midwest is definitely going to be a problem). Louisiana might barely manage to escape disaster, but I suspect it is too late, due to Mardi Gras. That was probably an excellent superspreading seeding event.

Anyway, I suspect it will be quite bad, but at the moment I don't see another New York out there (would be hard to rival the density there). The governors are really playing chicken with this. Does look like we could be pushing through a million actual (not counted) cases sometime end of next week, though.

GLTA!

The density in New York is definitely working against them. A lot of the areas up next have much poorer healthcare systems and have had a segment of the population that currently believe this is a hoax and haven't been taking precautions as well as having high rates of obesity and tobacco use. It may not spread as widely in less densely populated areas, but there may be a higher percentage of cases needing hospitalization.

A co-worker of my SO has it now. He's in his 30s, but overweight, smokes, and has a poor diet. He should be in the hospital, but they don't have room. It sounds like he's getting worse.