Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently debating whether I should stop sending my kids to school. I am worried why US is not taking precaution when the cases haven’t stopped. I am New York area and already one suburb has been in lockdown.

Partial containment’s won’t work unless everyone participates.

Well, no kids aged 0-9 in 100,000 reported infections have died from COVID-19. It's a personal choice, all a person on a forum can do is point you to the data.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Well, no kids aged 0-9 in 100,000 reported infections have died from COVID-19. It's a personal choice, all a person on a forum can do is point you to the data.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer
No, my personal case is that my parents are visiting for a few months so just want to prevent spreading. But I am guessing the spread can be contained in communities if proactive decisions are taken. Kids can bring virus in families and they can then spread them around in communities.

I guess the other thing could be that elderly folks should self quarantine themselves.

No, my personal case is that my parents are visiting for a few months so just want to prevent spreading. But I am guessing the spread can be contained in communities if proactive decisions are taken. Kids can bring virus in families and they can then spread them around in communities.

I guess the other thing could be that elderly folks should self quarantine themselves.

Probably a good plan. Anything to reduce the spread would reduce everyone's risk in the family.

As of time of posting...

Country|Cases|Growth
Italy|10149|18.8%
France|1784|29.2%
Spain|1695|75.9%
Germany|1457|20.1%
Switzerland|491|22.9%
Norway|400|63.6%
UK|382|20.0%
Netherlands|382|22.0%
Sweden|355|37.4%

Cases = Number of confirmed cases as per JHU data
Growth = Daily growth rate (two-day average)

If you assume growth of 20%/day going forward (which is cutting some countries like Spain a lot of slack), France, Spain and Germany will be like today's Italy within 10 days. Switzerland, Norway, UK, Netherlands and Sweden within 15 days.

Stay safe, Europe.

Inslee will restrict gatherings of more than 250 people. Disappointed with these half measures. Not sure whether it includes schools ...

Biogen conference had 170 people and has produced about 100 infections.

The Seattle Times on Twitter

To try to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Jay Inslee is expected Wednesday to restrict gatherings of more than 250 people, including at sporting events and concerts.
ps : Reports say this will affect schools. So, we'll have to wait and see.

I think a happy medium would be to let schools continue for those kids who need free lunch and for kids whose parents can't work from home. Rest of the kids stay home and use online schooling.

Last edited:
I

I’m not sure about the data from Japan, as it is critical for them, that the Olympics will happen. If I understand this right, the window for the Olympics will close In May.

Ya. personally do not trust many of the stats from suspected countries. But at least Japan is not lying as much as China. So I always make two cases, one is assuming the data is correct and one is not and see how it should play out in both cases. Even if I do not trust the Japanese data, the culture itself is not one that lies that much. So even if they do fudge the number you can trust them to fudge as much as Norwegians.

What a lot of people are doing is cherry picking stats. Such as not believing Iran's number but believing China's numbers.

I am afraid we'll only know 2 years down the road, but currently, we have to make decisions soon and these data are all we are gonna get.

Inslee will restrict gatherings of more than 250 people. Disappointed with these half measures. Not sure whether it includes schools ...

Biogen conference had 170 people and has produced about 100 infections.

The Seattle Times on Twitter

To try to help stop the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Jay Inslee is expected Wednesday to restrict gatherings of more than 250 people, including at sporting events and concerts.​

It’s going to have to get much worse to get our leaders heads out of the sand, but by then our health system will be overcome in the US. Trump will say “Nobody could have expected this”

This realization that the US response will be so much worse than China or South Korea is why I’m currently so bearish.

On market highs today I put on more short bets, this time on financials. Previously I shorted small caps.

I think the broader market could retest levels from 2015 before this is over.

Clearly not advice

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

I say again, TIME TO BAN TSA.

they are actually a danger, at this point. they used to be just a waste of time and an embarrasment, but now they can help spread the disease and they give us no safety in any real sense.

enough with Security Theater.

we have outgrown that fear and panic.

we have REAL stuff to worry about now, guys.

fark_84WOHg5xHOqDQdj5Cwu7J7lVWxk.png

Unbelievable. Even as people keep saying how China botched the response - just read this to see how US CDC botched the response.

Flu study in Seattle repeatedly asked for permission to test the samples they had for Covid from early Feb but CDC turned it down. Finally they went rogue and tested some samples and found a positive. Even at that time CDC asked them to stop testing. All the while CDC botched the tests they were supposed to have created - and still can't ship tests in quantity.

‘It’s just everywhere already’: How delays in testing set back the U.S. coronavirus response

I think I might have the distinction of being the first COVID-19 positive member of TMC. My wife is a provider in Kirkland WA, and was exposed at work. She came down with symptoms Sunday evening, and I came down with almost the exact same symptoms a few hours later. We were only able to get her tested, because she is a health care worker. Normal people can not get tested unless they are bad enough to be hospitalized. Her results came in this morning and she was a "strong positive." We both are miserable, but so far our symptoms are on the mild end of the spectrum. It is very scary. Hopefully our symptoms will remain mild. We also know a number of other health workers who have been infected and had much, much worse times of it, than we have so far. This is definitely not just another flu. We are extremely afraid for ourselves, our parents, our community, and the economy.

Lots of rest. Sleep more.

Best of luck.

Our thoughts are with you and your family. Please keep us updated with your progress.

ok, this is a new 'thing', it seems.

go to this url, enter the song and artist and it will create a poster for you ;)

Wash Your Lyrics

hmm, blocks 1-8 on this one work but it's harder to follow 9 and 10 and I get lost on block 11 without the song in the background, shame the site doesn't let you modify it to keep to the parts that work on the rhythm you want.

upload_2020-3-11_1-5-45.png

Stayin Alive is a classic people know from CPR training and is G rated to boot.

upload_2020-3-11_1-11-21.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
This might be helpful. Be well

Also, vaccine is what you take BEFORE being infected, not after. Vaccines do not work like the morning after pill. ;)

Counterpoint: The rabies vaccine is given post-exposure. Vaccines can cause the body to muster a faster immune response even when you have already been exposed, which can dramatically reduce the severity of some illnesses.

google tells all of its US workers to WFH

Google Tells All North America Staff To Work From Home - Slashdot

just that, alone, will damned near empty out the local streets. 101 and shoreline will not be wall to wall cars.

wow. how Sir Real ;)

It was already extremely light today on my way to and from work — like holiday vacation week light during rush hour. Seriously spooky.

speaking of buffets, good to hear this is happening:

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local...rily-close-buffets-amid-coronavirus-concerns/

MGM Resorts International says they will be temporarily closing their buffets at ARIA, Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, The Mirage, Luxor and Excalibur amid coronavirus concerns.
The changes will go into effect on Sunday, March 15, according to their Public Relations department.
The closures are temporary and MGM says it will be evaluated on a weekly basis.