Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the country, totally and completely divided:

America is living in two different worlds in dealing with coronavirus outbreak

we see the World1 and World2 types here, in fact, on this forum.

if we don't get our sugar together, collectively, it will ruin us all.

sadly, I don't see the US ever being on one page, ever again. please, prove me wrong, but I see no sign of it. if anything, people are digging in even more ('doubling down on the derp', as the kids today, say).
They imply Democrats are in world 1 and Republicans in world 2. But Nebraska seems to be in world 1 with no gatherings of more than 10 people and schools closed. Also, only 5% of tests have been positive so these measures were taken very early.

Yet another Twitter thread, emphasizing what the US (and all countries) should be doing with this free time on our hands (recommendations from the WHO, mostly).

Kai Kupferschmidt on Twitter

I see an awful lot of media discussion which revolves around reacting to the current crisis (which is understandable since thousands of lives need to be saved by making sure ventilators are available).

However, our governments (at the state level if nothing else) need to be really focused right now AS WELL on building up the infrastructure to be able to exit the lockdown. I don't see a lot of evidence of this happening right now.

Something to keep an eye on, as it will impact the market significantly, if we end up having multiple waves or a prolonged shutdown due to failing to use the ample time we now have to put the correct suppression methods in place. It will of course also likely cost many more lives as well.

Of course, there should also be enormous resources focused on a vaccine (and I'm sure there are). But I think even the most aggressive timelines for widespread availability of that would be sometime over the summer, if we're lucky? (No idea really what is actually achievable in a situation like this where trillions of dollars of economic output are on the line.)

As with this entire crisis, it is good to plan about two months ahead. We didn't do that on entry to the crisis (for unknown reasons), but we can learn from that mistake, and do things right for the first time.

Last edited:
Maybe.

A trial of 10 patients is just funds away.

Trivia - It is widely known that placebo treatments can sometimes be effective medicine. But did you know it also works on CARS???
Four classic cases: "Fuel Magnets" - "AIr Swirlers" that fit DI or diesel engines - "Oil Additives" - "Hydrogen Generators". There is no science or blind testing that backs up their claims for better mileage. These reappear every time there is a large jump in fuel prices.

I have met dozens of people over the years who have "proof" one or more these products actually increased their MPG significantly. They have detailed log books in most cases.

So how do they work? You become so engrossed with your car that you start keeping records on everything. This was triggered by your anger over gas prices. You will tend to round numbers differently, treat your car better, and are more careful with your driving. So yes, it did improve your mileage, but not by science.

So no matter how silly the cure is, a placebo will have a positive effect on a % of the population, and you cannot shake their belief. In fact, it is highly likely COVID-19 was introduced into the human population indirectly by placebo effect. The 'wet markets' in China have wild, exotic, and endangered animals for sale to the wealthy who believe that certain animal parts have curative effects or increase libido. It is reported that a scaly anteater (pangolin) was the vector that infected humans.

TLDR: False cures are perhaps responsible for COVID-19.

need more enforcement like this:

‘Knucklehead’ who coughed on Wegmans worker charged with terroristic threats, N.J. Gov. says

Falcone was told by the employee he was standing too close to her and to an open display of prepared foods, according to the Office of the Attorney General. He then allegedly “stepped forward to within 3 feet of her, leaned toward her, and purposely coughed." Falcone also allegedly laughed and said was infected with the coronavirus, authorities said, adding, “Falcone subsequently told two other employees they are lucky to have jobs.”

this is no joke. anyone doing this should be added to the DENY MEDICAL HELP list. I would not want a vent given to this guy when someone else could be using it.

This is a Canadian Government website that seems to track seasonal flu (A + B types) minus Covid19. This year the flu season began in August 2019 and extends at least until today.

The way I read this, there were so far 38 deaths from seasonal flu, and on other sites, 30 deaths are shown as of today for Covid19 in Canada.

I realize there are many variables. Even so, have I got it wrong to think that Covid19 is more or less equivalent? What am I missing?
FluWatch report: January 26 to February 1, 2020 (week 05) - Canada.ca

More and more cities/counties are bypassing Governor inaction and issuing stay-at-home orders.

In NC, Mecklenberg County (Charlotte) starts tomorrow with Durham County (Durham) & Wake County (Raleigh-Cary) order to start shortly. There are a laundry list of exceptions so perhaps not enough but a very good start. Durham's order: https://durhamnc.gov/DocumentCenter...ayor-Emergency-Dec-Second-Amdmt-3-25-20_FINAL

In FL,
Orange County (Orlando) also issued one so in addition to Miami, two of the largest cities will have orders in place. There is discussion that Collier (Naples-Marco Island) and it's adjacent county Lee (Ft. Myers) may soon enact one as well.

Last edited:
It's in recruitment phase. There's zero evidence for it. Why would they mention something that is still in recruitment?

I'll be more blunt - enough with the conspiracy nonsense and distractions. I've avoided moderating this thread but I'm perfectly capable of changing my mind.

There is no reason for the CDC to publicize a trial in recruitment, but you think it's a conspiracy.

You're welcome to post factual information and link to studies. I see zero value in discussion of conspiracy in this thread. It only lowers an already tenuous signal to noise ratio.

You and @KarenRei are not remotely alike. She's a valued, contributing member who's posts are always well-reasoned and based on more than (at best) anecdotal evidence.
Speaking of @KarenRei , it now feels like we could really need someone more familiar with trolls over here.
By homeopathic principles, do you scientific guys think it is sufficient that her posts were here before, and have since been mightlity diluted ("potentiated" is the term of art, AIUI) ? ;)

Last edited:
saw an interesting thread on another forum.

so many big businesses pay little to no taxes (looking at the likes of amazon, intel, cisco, etc). they have not helped pay for the infrastructure that we all count on (roads, electrical grid, water, all the common things).

well, how about this: companies asking for bail-out money get a proportion based on how much taxes they have contributed to the economy. if you used all those legal loopholes that only the mega rich can use, ok - but you get no bailout or help.

checks and balances, people. its time for those to return. its the only way to correct bad behavior.

I'm surprised that everyone seems to have missed that this paper found that taxifolin was effective in treating covid. I haven't heard any discussion of it anywhere.

Inhibitors for Novel Coronavirus Protease Identified by Virtual Screening of 687 Million Compounds

shilling for the company? second time you have posted the same information and link.

Someone did reply to you:

Because it's an in silicon study (i.e. computer modelling). It hasn't even started the in vitro study (i.e. test tube). I won't say it's "missed", but you do understand that only 1 in 10 to 1 in 100 compounds tested in vitro (i.e. a testtube) show the same activity in vivo (i.e. in a person)? The number that are viable starting from computer modelling is even lower.

It's a good start, but this is way way early to put any hope in. Once it gets past a Phase 1 clinical trial and shows efficacy, then we can have hope.

There is plenty of evidence for the efficacy of high-dose vitamin C against Coronavirus, which I already linked. No one puts a clinical trial in recruitment phase based on zero evidence.
If there is plenty of evidence, why even have a clinical trial ?

The way to look at it - as I wrote before - is that it "sounds promising". Just like so many battery chemistries sound promising. Then you do a proper clinical trial - and only a few (just like battery chemistries) - get validated.

Ofcourse - unlike batteries - people can continue to say x or y "supports" immunity without ever explaining or quantifying what that means. In traditional Indian / Chinese / European medicine - I hear the same thing. x or y "helps" or "supports" something or the other. Said with zero proof or explanation.

Reactions: deonb and Lessmog
It's in recruitment phase. There's zero evidence for it. Why would they mention something that is still in recruitment?

I'll be more blunt - enough with the conspiracy nonsense and distractions. I've avoided moderating this thread but I'm perfectly capable of changing my mind.
My demigod-like (compared to @ohmman) powers have also not actually gone away, despite my own request to relinquish them. Maybe I should change my screen name to "grrrr" and resume moderation. Unless people start being more civil to one another like it was, lo, those many days ago.

so many big businesses pay little to no taxes (looking at the likes of amazon, intel, cisco, etc). they have not helped pay for the infrastructure that we all count on (roads, electrical grid, water, all the common things).

well, how about this: companies asking for bail-out money get a proportion based on how much taxes they have contributed to the economy. if you used all those legal loopholes that only the mega rich can use, ok - but you get no bailout or help.

checks and balances, people. its time for those to return. its the only way to correct bad behavior.

Interesting concept but of course the companies you mentioned are hugely profitable and won't need aid ( please note that there are plenty of taxes paid by those companies beyond Corporate but fair point ).

I haven't looked at their operating results but I'd think the Airline Industry has worked through their '08 era Lehman shock losses and are paying taxes; similarly, the cruise and hotel industry probably do as well.

Having said all that, another $3T of USA debt will probably be added this year (although financing cost will plummet for short term Treasuries) and at some point, we're all going have to pony up more to the US Treasury (btw: I'm in favor of a Financial Services trading tax so those "bots" heavily contribute to reducing personal/corporate tax burden).

Last edited:

It's a consideration, but I would prefer that companies that get a bail-out are permanently banned from stock buybacks.

I will be the first to admit that my company benefited greatly from the last tax break, and we used that to expand staff and buy equipment. I didn't see that nearly as much from the big companies. They enriched their shareholders instead. While there is a responsibility to shareholders, they can still add shareholder value without stock buybacks and that would force them to spend money on equipment and personnel, thereby strengthening the entire economy.

My demigod-like (compared to @ohmman) powers have also not actually gone away, despite my own request to relinquish them. Maybe I should change my screen name to "grrrr" and resume moderation. Unless people start being more civil to one another like it was, lo, those many days ago.
Properly chastised, I take a brief pause now. (But I only responded to dangerous silliness!)