Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at the new cases data for Saudi Arabia vs. Malaysia, you'll see that Saudi Arabia is about a week behind Malaysia in terms of discovering the virus within the country as well as topping 100 new cases in a single day. No doubt Saudi Arabia's geography aided it in picking up the virus at a later date than Malaysia. It takes about 15 days on average for people to die of COVID-19. Malaysia's death count is now descending while Saudi Arabia's is still growing. Let's check back in a couple weeks and see how these two countries compare then.
The problem with looking at country data to try to back out efficacy of a treatment regimen is that there are far too many confounding factors to draw a conclusion. The way to answer the question you’re asking is by testing, not by collecting observational cluttered data.

NYC considering using parks as temporary burial sites: city councilman

NYC contingency plan in case they run out of space in freezer trucks:
The chair of the New York City Council’s health committee said on Monday that officials are considering temporarily burying people who die from the coronavirus in local parks.

In a series of tweets, New York City Councilman Mark Levine said that trenches will be dug to hold 10 caskets in a line. The burials will only be temporary, he said, though he acknowledged the gravity of the situation.

“Soon we'll start ‘temporary interment’,” Levine wrote. “This likely will be done by using a NYC park for burials (yes you read that right). Trenches will be dug for 10 caskets in a line.”

New York City has already begun to store bodies in freezer trucks, and restrictions on crematories have been loosened to allow them to operate 24 hours a day.
This is definitely just a normal flu season....

One ventilator might cost as much as a Model 3 to make.

Not even close. They aren't using the most expensive parts of the car: battery pack, motors, inverters, etc.

The main parts they seem to be using are:
  • Model 3 touchscreen
  • Model 3 Infotainment computer (not the FSD computer)
  • Model 3 Left Vehicle Controller/ECU
  • Model 3 Right Vehicle Controller/ECU (for redundency)
  • Model S&X Air suspension tank
  • Heater
They will probably end up being way less expensive than the $35k ones that they are buying and giving away. And if they end up making these long term they could make custom, and much cheaper, circuit boards to only include what they need and to simplify the wiring.

If you look at the new cases data for Saudi Arabia vs. Malaysia, you'll see that Saudi Arabia is about a week behind Malaysia in terms of discovering the virus within the country as well as topping 100 new cases in a single day. No doubt Saudi Arabia's geography aided it in picking up the virus at a later date than Malaysia. It takes about 15 days on average for people to die of COVID-19. Malaysia's death count is now descending while Saudi Arabia's is still growing. Let's check back in a couple weeks and see how these two countries compare then.
In two weeks we'll probably have results from the NYC study. Hopefully it will show that HCQ works.
In the meantime there's really nothing to argue about.

For the armchair arithmeticians amongst us --
I was staring at my Log normal daily mortality per capita graph I post daily and realized that the curve is kinda sorta an ellipse.
Since the area of an ellipse is A*B*Pi, it is easy to calculate total expected mortality once the peak is evident.

Makes one wonder if there may be a role for hyperbaric oxygen.

I suspect most of us have seen the video now. I love that Tesla is making progress on repurposing vehicle parts into a ventilator. It is also quite generous for Tesla to give these ventilators away. But as a shareholder, I have to ask what will this cost us? When Tesla is able to ramp up production, the materials and labor alone will cost quite a bit. One ventilator might cost as much as a Model 3 to make. So is there any way Tesla can be reimbursed for this?
They are using a few Model 3 parts, some labour, and some programming. No way will it cost as much as a Model 3 (unless they only make less than ten or some such). But even if it does, the goodwill gained will sell far more Tesla products than doing nothing unless forced to. My opinion is that short term thinking (what can I get for this right now) is not the Tesla way. Investors focusing on any quarter's performance (like almost every Wall Street Analyst) is a good way to lose money.

In two weeks we'll probably have results from the NYC study. Hopefully it will show that HCQ works.
In the meantime there's really nothing to argue about.

I see you're in the camp of let's not use the treatment until careful studies with control groups come out. In normal situations, this is a very reasonable position to take. Fauci is in the group, and he's a very reasonable man. As the severity of the COVID-19 crisis increases, however, the risk vs. benefit equation changes. That's why in countries such as France, Italy, and Spain, the decision-makers in the health areas of government have opted to go ahead and give a thumbs up to the use of the drug before these controlled studies are released.

The question in the United States is whether we've reached a point where widespread use of HCQ is warranted before those careful studies come out. The federal government has decided to make the drug readily available and leave the decision up to the patient and doctor. I think that's a reasonable position to take, and I'm in that camp.

Not even close. They aren't using the most expensive parts of the car: battery pack, motors, inverters, etc.

• Model 3 touchscreen
  • Heater
They will probably end up being way less expensive than the $35k ones that they are buying and giving away. And if they end up making these long term they could make custom, and much cheaper, circuit boards to only include what they need and to simplify the wiring.
Are they factoring post-pandemic residual value in the collectors market? Joking, but not really. I think you could get a pretty penny for used Tesla ventilators 9 months from now.

If NYC starts declining and there's no glaring need elsewhere in the US, I could see this effort fizzling before production begins. Philadelphia hospitals don't seem too concerned they'll run out of vent capacity. As far as I can tell all the anesthesia vents are still sitting in operating rooms unused.

As with everything, a LOT depends on what happens this week.

Here is the latest IHME projection for California fatalities in graphical form. If this turns out to be accurate, it seems fairly likely that Fremont could be able to open by early May (mid-May at the latest).

COVID_IHME_CADeaths_040620.png

As others have mentioned, the supply chain seems likely to be the limiting factor. The US as a whole lags CA by a couple weeks, but with large error bars. Unless it can make other arrangements, Tesla will be constrained by its slowest suppliers to reopen.

COVID_IHME_USDeaths_040620.png

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Last edited:

• Model 3 touchscreen
  • Heater
Long term, I agree. But short term it is very expensive on a per unit basis to ramp up production of a new product. This, of course, is one reason why they are trying to repurpose parts they can produce or have an existing supplier for.

Whatever the precise cost of the first 1000 units may be, my question is still where can Tesla get some reimbursement.

Now, longer term may make sense if Tesla actually generates revenue on this. So researchers suggest that Covid19 may continue to roll around the globe for 36 months. Also governments are learning that they need to stockpile more too. So the ventilator market may be strong for several years.

I wasn’t surprised unfortunately to see this development. I wonder how his pregnant fiance is (or was it girlfriend?). I thought she also was reported as having symptoms.

BTW the Telegraph site linked in your post pops up with a huge Accept Cookies window on my phone so aggravating as well. Didn’t want to accept so if there’s info beyond what’s discussed please share.

You are cherry picking. There are much larger data sets, and you should remember that boris is fat.

I'll help you: overall 1/4 hospitalized end up on a vent and ~ 80% of those on a vent die.

But at maximum only 20% of those who get it end up as hospital cases. There are quite a few who would be in the hospital in less critical times who are turned away (I know someone who faced this, he did survive, but it was touch and go for a few days). We also don't have a solid handle on how many asymptomatic cases there are. The South Korean data is the best we have and they found about an 80/20 split in mild/serious cases.

Because hospitals under extreme stress are turning away some serious cases that aren't serious enough, the percentage that are actually ending up in the hospital is probably closer to 10% or less. 1/4 of those needing to be on a ventilator would be 2.5%, which is close to the study I cited.

Sadly, this is likely not true. While tests with HCQ are ongoing for COVID-19, we have a lot of data of HCQ with other viruses.

I'm not kidding when I said we've known about the in vitro (test tube) properties of HCQ since the 1960/70s. Unfortunately not in a single instance did that ever translate to helping in vivo (in a person). In fact, in one report I was reading there was decent data that it made influenza worse.

Drugs can do things we don't expect sometimes, but more often then not when someone makes a case that a drug can be used off label to deal with something that isn't obvious, further tests usually show it was a pipe dream.

I have always been in your camp with HCQ. I've been skeptical it was going to work. I've been wondering if it's getting touted so much because someone is making money on the deal.

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson Taken to Intensive Care Unit
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Not good.

Are they factoring post-pandemic residual value in the collectors market? Joking, but not really. I think you could get a pretty penny for used Tesla ventilators 9 months from now.

If NYC starts declining and there's no glaring need elsewhere in the US, I could see this effort fizzling before production begins. Philadelphia hospitals don't seem too concerned they'll run out of vent capacity. As far as I can tell all the anesthesia vents are still sitting in operating rooms unused.

As with everything, a LOT depends on what happens this week.

Every indication I can see shows the South and Appalachia are about to explode with cases. People there are not following any kind of recommendation for social distancing. I have a friend who is a truck driver for Walmart based out of Georgia. He's trying to social distance and do all the right things because while he's not seriously at risk for a bad case, it would probably kill his mother who lives part time at his house. But everywhere he goes people are slapping him on the back and not keeping their distance. He said it's like people are trying to touch others more in defiance of the recommendations.

I think it's Augusta, Georgia that is already seeing a massive outbreak. Per capita it's almost as bad as New York city.

Here is the latest IHME projection for California fatalities in graphical form. If this turns out to be accurate, it seems fairly likely that Fremont could be able to open by early May (mid-May at the latest).

View attachment 529799

As others have mentioned, the supply chain seems likely to be the limiting factor. The US as a whole lags CA by a couple weeks, but with large error bars. Unless it can make other arrangements, Tesla will be constrained by its slowest suppliers to reopen.

View attachment 529800

Gov. Newsome just spoke and said if their projections hold true they expected to push off peak until May. If Peak is in May then I’m not seeing the factory up and running by then.

My understanding is that we will be able to relax social distancing by:
4) After reduction to manageable number of infections, implementation of massive testing, quarantining and contact tracing. (Although I haven’t seen any plans from US leadership along these lines).

Wouldn't contact tracing at this point where there is far less than 1% national infection actually be more of a new vector and less than prophylactic? We don't have 200 million (2018) networked cameras with facial recognition like they do in China, it would have to done with humans.
Several groups are building open source phone apps for contact tracing. Unlike the apps China and other Asian countries use, these attempt to preserve anonymity. I think it's almost certain we'll go this way. I'd love to see a few unlocked states testing these apps. Basic concept illustration from this paper:

F4.large.jpg