Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How was Zelenko debunked? Would love to see a follow up or rebuttal to his claims.

My searches have not yielded results. Do you have a link to more information than the same 669 patients over and over again with no additional documentation?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...622456-8af2-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html
Doctor Who Promoted Malarial Drug Draws Scrutiny of Federal Prosectors

He cannot support his claims, and even says he's "not a researcher". If you try to "publish" on youtube your "research" but then back peddle that you are "not a researcher" . . . things start to smell fishy.

He didn't run COVID-19 tests to check that people ACTUALLY had COVID-19. If you read between the lines he says "they had COVID-19 symptoms". Well, isn't that convenient because many of the symptoms are just . . . . generalized respiratory problems that any virus can cause. Most respiratory diseases are self-limited (i.e. people get better on their own). 100-150 years ago this was the CLASSIC snake oil scam: give someone some special "tonic" to cure their cough and miraculously . . . most people with a cough got better.

I can CLAIM to have cured cancer. The ONUS is on me to PROVE it, not to just make the statement. What he provided as "evidence" is . . . no evidence.

But, apparently we live in country full of suckers, and more are born every minute.

Seroprevalence in Sweden with ~98% sensitive&specific tests was 7%(6-10% 95) in Stockholm and and 4%(2-7% 95) in South and West of Sweden.

That seems real low to me for a country that didn't shut everything down and a virus that spreads super easy with exponential growth. Wouldn't there be a much larger percentage of the population that had been infected? These numbers don't look much different compared to Countries that shut down their economies. Does this mean that shutting everything down doesn't really make much of a difference?

Reactions: MXLRplus
That seems real low to me for a country that didn't shut everything down and a virus that spreads super easy with exponential growth. Wouldn't there be a much larger percentage of the population that had been infected? These numbers don't look much different compared to Countries that shut down their economies. Does this mean that shutting everything down doesn't really make much of a difference?
It also depends on how much distancing is normal. My understanding (from previous posts) is that Sweden has an unusually high amount of social distancing normally.

Sweden did not have "no lockdown". Their reduction of economic activity is comparable to what resulted in Switzerland with a "soft lockdown" (I listed a reference with more detail here earlier). The problem is that Sweden has a very high death toll (nearly double the Swiss outcome). That now remains to be explained and raises of course eyebrows also in Sweden and there are lot of discussions in the Press. If I encounter something more illuminating, I will post references.

Sweden didn't close businesses, but my understanding was they were strongly urged to practice safe social distancing. And I don't ever recall seeing large groups of Swedes parading around with flags and political banners to protest protecting the vulnerable.

Data appears to show it’s the best treatment so far. . .

Bullsh!t. The gold standard is Remdesivir, nothing else has shown to make any statistically significant difference.

But hey, what does the doctor and scientist in this thread know, right? I'm sure your social media doctorate trumps all of that.

Your degree looks like this one, right?
download_20200520_084543.png

LOL.

In normal times pharma sponsors most large studies, but these are not normal times. Instant mega-fame awaits the heroic doctor or researcher who stops the pandemic. Book deals. Speaking tours at $50k/pop. Red carpet treatment at the world premier of the blockbuster movie about his/her life, with Brad Pitt/Emma Stone as the lead. You really think every one of these independent researchers will walk away from all that because big pharma says "don't do it"?

Funding? Ha. How can you think funding is any kind of issue? We've got a president so obsessed with HCQ he takes it prophylactically, for crying out loud. He administers a $5+ trillion budget! Devise a study and Jared Kushner will personally deliver pallets of cash and needed equipment. Heck, he'd probably inject SARS-COV-2 into a couple thousand people just to help you along....

At the elite level science is a team game these days, and has been for a long time, and is actually becoming more and more so. If you're at all skeptical or curious about this go to Medline or Google Scholar and search for seminal papers on any subject, and you will see often times a collaboration between multiple University centers spread across the continents. So it would only be in discrediting the rest of the team that someone would get promoted to Celebrity Status. Not saying that that couldn't happen but it wouldn't really reflect how the process works. For sure the head of the team that is first to a viable vaccine will become justifiably famous. However if they refused to credit or somehow fail to credit their team members, they will become a pariah pretty quickly. At least within their local Circle.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bkp_duke
Portugal (were I was born) is doing well. Perhaps it's because of BCG vaccine Could a 100-year-old vaccine protect against COVID-19? | Live Science
BCG vaccine - Wikipedia

"Rates of protection against tuberculosis infection vary widely and protection lasts up to twenty years."
Hm...
... for TB. BCG is non-specific. The idea is that the immune system is responsive earlier to the virus, so that the total viral load doesn't overwhelm the patient.

I'm also wondering if all the Pediatric MSIS cases are in countries that don't vaccinate for TB. I've only seen reports from the US and Western Europe.

• Helpful
Reactions: AZRI11
Splitting east/west since map shows east/west differ.

Eastern Europe countries doing BCG vaccination in Europe until 1990 or still continuing:

Albania, Czech, Bulgaria, Croatia, Finland, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine.

Western Europe countries doing BCG vaccination in Europe until 1990 or still continuing:

Austria, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Norway, United Kingdom.

Discontinued or no mandatory BCG:

Denmark, Iceland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden.

upload_2020-5-19_19-43-6-png.543210

Source: BCG vaccine - Wikipedia
Would be nice if we had the most up-to-date BCG vaccination data. I've seen that universal vaccination stopped in Spain in 1981, Germany in 1998 and the UK and France in 2005 to 2007.

I like to look at some country pairs like Norway-Sweden and Portugal-Spain, where one has a universal vaccine policy and the other hasn't for a long time. As already noted, Spain's mortality rate is 5x that of Portugal's and Sweden's is 9x that of Norway's. Of course every country's situation is different, but the differences are quite huge. And, Germany is an interesting case with its old East-West split. Even Berlin shows differences between the old East-West Berlin.

Reactions: Christine69420

Maybe it is because there wasn't a political rally on March 8th 2020 that packed downtown Lisbon and then sent those very same people to every nook and corner of Portugal.
Possible. Portugal's elder care facilities weren't hit as hard as other countries. I believe it has more to do with tourism. Spain and Italy attracts far more tourists in February and March than Portugal.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel

Sweden is hardly the libertarian Wild-West so to speak. They actually have done a lot of social distancing, limited the size of at least some gatherings, and they optionally wear masks. And they're more compliant overall with those restrictions even while economic activity continues in some fashion than many Americans appear to be. So in that sense their response still involves a lot of mitigation measures even if it doesn't involve the hammer so to speak of stay-at-home or closed businesses.

We on the other hand have the worst of Both Worlds. Lots of infections, lots of death, and crashed economies. This is all due to the failure of early testing and the inability to discriminate between folks who should be at home and folks who shouldn't.

Last edited:

Sweden is 6th in deaths/million as of 20-May-2020. Unclear what they are considering successful.

Coronavirus deaths per million by country | Statista

FLFSOkI.jpg