Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of 50 amp circuit and Nema 14-50 Plug installation in SFBay area (Oakland)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been receiving estimates to have a 50 amp circuit and nema 14-50 plug installed in my garage. The service panel is just outside the garage so they would just have to drill a hole in the wall and install the plug on the other side. The second option is to run some conduit to the other side of the garage so the plug would be 3 feet from the charge port. Using the Tesla recommended vendors I'm getting estimates of $1800 or so to do this. This price seems super high.

Does anyone have a more reasonably priced electrician they would recommend to do this in Oakland CA?

Thanks!
Same issue in the Seattle area. Not as high as $1800, but $800. I have called around and seeing some differences between bids. The problem is some of these bids we have an owner and then his crew. Everyone seems to need to make some money on the job even though one person is really doing the work.

I went to Home Depot and priced out all the materials. The cost in parts, for example, wiring, breaking didn’t amount to anything more than $100. Getting a permit is also around $100. So basically, I see in my case I am paying $600 in labor which seems too high.

When the electrician is only putting in a breaker and running a short wire a few feet from the box, it seems like a simple job. I would keep looking around. Make sure you have the work permitted and inspected.

I went to Home Depot and priced out all the materials. The cost in parts, for example, wiring, breaking didn’t amount to anything more than $100. Getting a permit is also around $100. So basically, I see in my case I am paying $600 in labor which seems too high.

When the electrician is only putting in a breaker and running a short wire a few feet from the box, it seems like a simple job. I would keep looking around. Make sure you have the work permitted and inspected.
Couple things... No good electrician shops at Home Depot or Lowes, so those prices aren't really relevant. Also, in addition to the physical installation, the electricians is 1) giving you the benefit of his expertise and experience, 2) taking responsibility for the installation if anything were to go wrong. Those two intangibles are what really drives the cost. Do it yourself it you feel comfortable and you will save a ton of $$ but bear in mind that you are now providing both of those things.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
But doesn't that go both ways? The homeowner has to pay so much money for mortgage payments. I live in the Vancouver area, which has an insane housing market, and in my neighbourhood houses are selling between 1.3 and 1.5 million dollars (7 years ago these same houses were $600,000).

I understand higher cost-of-living, but paying $1800 US for a 14-50 is ridiculous!

If I had to pay that much, I would watch enough YouTube videos to learn how to do it myself and then have an electrician come and check it out and do the final connection to the breaker panel, turn on the breaker, and ensure it's considered safe.
Then if something goes wrong, will you step up and tell your insurance company that you did the install, removing their liability in insuring your home? (I already know your answer) As a contractor along with all the municipal licenses I carried, the amount of continuing education, I had to have and maintain along with $2,000,000.00 liability insurance. I also fielded many requests from insurance companies to go out and inspect homes older than 30 years old to then place my insurance in jeopardy, if something ever happened there. I declined every attempt to put my insurance in that position. How old is your home btw?

I think you're missing something. The breaker ALONE is $100, because it has to be a GFCI type by code. Most people who are trying to DIY don't seem to know that.
"The breaker ALONE is $100, because it has to be a GFCI type by code"

If you are installing the Tesla Wall Charger you don't use a GFCI, just a standard 60 AMP breaker. This breaker only cost around $15 and is really available at most home hardware stores.

John

• Informative
Reactions: marx1 and Rocky_H
I am an electrician by trade, if anyone needs an outlet installed I would be happy to help out, and yes you can buy materials for me to install.

I do not have a contractors license but I do have california state certification currently on file, and I currently work as a union electrician..

I am a Tesla owner (soon) and would not price gouge a level 2 installation. its just a 40A outlet install or whatever...

feel free to contact me and ask.
Hi! I would be interested - I'm a new user on TMC so can't pm you, could you pm me?

I've been receiving estimates to have a 50 amp circuit and nema 14-50 plug installed in my garage. The service panel is just outside the garage so they would just have to drill a hole in the wall and install the plug on the other side. The second option is to run some conduit to the other side of the garage so the plug would be 3 feet from the charge port. Using the Tesla recommended vendors I'm getting estimates of $1800 or so to do this. This price seems super high.

Does anyone have a more reasonably priced electrician they would recommend to do this in Oakland CA?

Thanks!
I'm also in SoCal LA area. Would you be able to share your referral? Thank you!
My total cost under $300.

Parts were $65. Conduit, fittings, enclosure box, 14-50 Hubbel socket.
My licensed electrician included the wire and breaker with his fee of $230. PM me for referral to him.

DETAIL:
In my case I had a 30A dryer circuit (with 10-30 NEMA outlet) on my service panel that I re-purposed.
We left the wiring to the laundry room in place, but disconnected it from the panel and replaced the breaker at the panel with a 50A.

It just took 6ft of conduit from the panel thru a wall, into the garage and to a wall enclosure I installed with a Hubbel 14-50 NEMA outlet.
It needed about 8 feet of wiring including the panel length.

Parts were sourced from an electrical distributor and Home Depot.
I used a licensed electrician to do the wiring after I did the physical install on conduit/enclosure/socket.

Here in CAL, electricians know that the local utility will re-imburse EV owners up to $800 for installing a charging circuit.
So they typically offer $800 fee PLUS PARTS as their opening bid.

Reactions: marx1
My total cost under $300.

Parts were $65. Conduit, fittings, enclosure box, 14-50 Hubbel socket.
My licensed electrician included the wire and breaker with his fee of $230. PM me for referral to him.

DETAIL:
In my case I had a 30A dryer circuit (with 10-30 NEMA outlet) on my service panel that I re-purposed.
We left the wiring to the laundry room in place, but disconnected it from the panel and replaced the breaker at the panel with a 50A.

It just took 6ft of conduit from the panel thru a wall, into the garage and to a wall enclosure I installed with a Hubbel 14-50 NEMA outlet.
It needed about 8 feet of wiring including the panel length.

Parts were sourced from an electrical distributor and Home Depot.
I used a licensed electrician to do the wiring after I did the physical install on conduit/enclosure/socket.

Here in CAL, electricians know that the local utility will re-imburse EV owners up to $800 for installing a charging circuit.
So they typically offer $800 fee PLUS PARTS as their opening bid.
New account here so can't PM. Could you message me the referral? Greatly appreciate it :)

That's absurd. Even if that's the going rate for the area I wouldn't pay it. I understand service prices are regional, but I had a 50A circuit run in my garage in Arkansas for less than $300, parts and labor included. Panel is on one side of the garage, cable runs up into the attic, down inside the wall, and to the outlet.
6/3 romex is
You aren't paying for materials at Home Depot though, you're paying for them at your house, at the time they are needed. It's also worth mentioning that there are probably a ton of other smaller parts and pieces required that aren't itemized. I'm also not clear on why electricians are obligated to charge only a "modest fee" while providing a valuable service (which requires licensing and ongoing liability) for owners of luxury vehicles? If I was a business coach for electricians I would say it's not your job to make rich people richer. If you've got training, expertise and availability that is in demand, you should charge what the market will bear. If you don't think that's appropriate, maybe you should invite the electrician to determine much money you should be making.
"200 ft of 12/2 Romex cable" you need stranded 6/3 wire and for NEM 14-50 or tesla charger.

That's absurd. Even if that's the going rate for the area I wouldn't pay it. I understand service prices are regional, but I had a 50A circuit run in my garage in Arkansas for less than $300, parts and labor included. Panel is on one side of the garage, cable runs up into the attic, down inside the wall, and to the outlet.
I'll echo others in recommending a licensed electrician.
I could do it, I'm an electrical engineer by training, but having a licensed professional do it ensures code compliance and insurance coverage if anything were to go sideways.
It's not difficult but I'm covered if the house burns down.

In my case I self-installed a Hubbel 14-50 socket in an outdoor-rated enclosure in my garage and ran conduit from it thru a wall to the service panel.
Then I hired an electrician to do the final wiring and breaker install.