Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customer service appears to be broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget, there are indeed other EV options if you don't want to jump back to ICE. On the cheaper side, you've got Kia, Nissan, and Chevy. On the higher end, Audi and Jaguar are options. You can buy them today with virtually none of the negatives of Tesla. And in many cases, for a lot less.

Or wait a few months to a year and you'll have Polestar, Ford, GMC, and more. There may be some compromises in range and charging network, but just have to weigh the pros and cons, and what works best for your situation.

In either case, there's nothing worse than blind loyalty. Manufactures need to earn your business and money.

Don't forget, there are indeed other EV options if you don't want to jump back to ICE. On the cheaper side, you've got Kia, Nissan, and Chevy. On the higher end, Audi and Jaguar are options. You can buy them today with virtually none of the negatives of Tesla. And in many cases, for a lot less.

Or wait a few months to a year and you'll have Polestar, Ford, GMC, and more. There may be some compromises in range and charging network, but just have to weigh the pros and cons, and what works best for your situation.

In either case, there's nothing worse than blind loyalty. Manufactures need to earn your business and money.

I seriously considered the Audi e-Tron sportback but the range just wasn’t sufficient for my needs. I will say the 2020 model S is vastly improved compared to the 2016 version, the pace of innovation is pretty astonishing.
The consensus here is pretty clear that Tesla willfully ignores customer satisfaction because they can. I think the company has picked up enough momentum that it’s gonna keep rolling through the competition with the model 3 and Y. Which is great for the company but the early adopters and supporters are kindda left behind unfortunately.

Reactions: omegafiler
Steve Jobs and Elon Musk are very different personalities with different skillsets. Can you imagine Apple every telling customers "your brand new, iPhone screen yellowing is normal wear and tear and not covered by warranty or AppleCare". Tesla officially told their customers that, except it was a $100,000 car rather than $1,500 iPhone. Not just that, they sent lawyers to court and arbitration to fight customers who demanded a fix. And yes, the service staff was just following orders, reading from the screen, privately just as stunned as the customers.

I love both products but there are many examples of Steve Jobs doing just that in the early days of apple :).
  • Steve Jobs Responds To The Antenna Issue: Hold It Different Or Use A Case
  • Lots of examples of issues with iMac screens yellowing and MacbookPro retina screens retaining images not being covered by Warranty.
Apple was going to make a car but canceled that project :)

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
Word of mouth on the product is 99% of how Tesla has succeeded and gotten to this point.
Word of mouth on the customer service on support can have just as much impact unless Tesla takes some sort of action. Cant devote 99% of your resources to selling product at the expense of at least decent customer service after the sale.

Im at the point where I am now hesitant to even recommend Tesla to friends and family due to what I've experienced in just the past 6 months service wise. It truly has been at the atrocious level.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
Sad, so very sad. My experience so far (5 years) has been very good, other than one case of very slow roadside assistance. I dread the day when I will encounter the terrible service that I read about here, day after day, but it seems inevitable that I will...

I seriously considered the Audi e-Tron sportback but the range just wasn’t sufficient for my needs. I will say the 2020 model S is vastly improved compared to the 2016 version, the pace of innovation is pretty astonishing.
The consensus here is pretty clear that Tesla willfully ignores customer satisfaction because they can. I think the company has picked up enough momentum that it’s gonna keep rolling through the competition with the model 3 and Y. Which is great for the company but the early adopters and supporters are kindda left behind unfortunately.

I just drove the 2020 Model S today and I would have to agree. It's actually a pretty solid vehicle and of far better quality than the Model 3/Y. Still, more wind/road noise than I'd like, fit and finish needs work, etc. So yeah, it's nowhere near the level of the Audi E-Tron. I would say the price drop is tempting, but with the 2019 E-Trons going for around 30% off MSRP, it's actually still cheaper than the recently reduced Model S Long Range by over $10k.

I didn't need the range and the EA network in the South is pretty solid. It was a reasonable compromise for me. But I would like for my next vehicle to have more range. Refreshed Model S, Cybertruck, Hummer EV, another Audi, who knows!

Sad, so very sad. My experience so far (5 years) has been very good, other than one case of very slow roadside assistance. I dread the day when I will encounter the terrible service that I read about here, day after day, but it seems inevitable that I will...

to give just one recent example:
- Ticket opened for a MCU issue
- Issue was reproducible by the tech at the SC, and documented as such. No dispute on the issue.
- Ticket showed tech performed a process that allegedly fixed the issue
- I Picked up the car (it was there for over a week) and within 3 mins of leaving the SC, exact same issue occurred. Exact.
- Within 24hrs, the issue repeated itself over and over but more frequently. Worse than before. I documented every time/date of the incident and submitted bug reports each time it happened.
- Opened a new ticket with the SC providing an extreme level of detail
- Was asked (Days after submitting the ticket) via text message, to try unplugging my Tesla OEM cell charger from the USB port until a mobile ranger could visit 5 days later. (Analysis showed something plugged into USB was impacting the MCU. Only thing plugged in was the charger, which had been plugged in for months).
- Unplugging the charger seemed to help a bit, but the issue still persisted
-Mobile ranger came out, performed a complete reboot of the car
- Was in a rush, so he left before the reboot fully completed
- Once the reboot completed, I had no cell service/connection (so no NOA, no maps, no streaming services, etc)
-Ticket was still open, so I quickly texted back the mobile technician
-Hour later he asked for pics of the side view mirrors. I sent the pics. (he wanted to confirm no aftermarket covers were on the mirrors, which I never had any such thing)
-Short while later he responds that techs will remotely analyze the issue. No ETA provided.
-Around 2am that next morning, received automated text that the ticket was closed.
-8am went out to the car, still no cell service. I checked the internet myself, and saw that doing a steering wheel button reboot of the MCU might help/reconnect the cell service. (Fortunately it did).

Again, above was just one tiny example of recent service. But there has been a pattern that Ive recently experienced of lack of thoroughness (ie, checking their work) when dealing with the center and their service. And it appears that their service isnt getting better as they focus more and more on pure sales. In fact, one recent Sunday I went in, and all service people were present but focused solely on prep for meeting end of quarter sales quotas.

Here's another example:
About a month prior to my 4 year anniv/expiration of warranty coverage, I contacted service about one of my windshield washers being misaligned.
Mobile tech readjusted it.
A few weeks later, it had drifted out of alignment again. Mobile tech came out to replace the sprayer unit, but brought the wrong part and said it would have to be ordered as the part changed since my car was built (shouldn't they have known that?).
Tech informed me that I would have to pay for the part and service, as the replacement will be done after the warranty period ended.

Unless things dramatically change (which means replacement of Musk), my next car won't be a Tesla.

I’m currently waiting still for parts that were requested in June for the MCU upgrade. Still getting emails twice a week to update the parts aren’t in, but Gmail thinks it’s spam. At this point, I’m worried if something was wrong I’d be SOL and wouldn’t have a driveable vehicle for months.

They may be ahead in tech, but that lead won’t last forever. I can’t wait until the real competition arrives so we have more options.

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
For new vehicle your recourse is not accepting the car delivery until everything is resolved, returning it within the 7 days, or trying to declare it a lemon. The latter two will more than likely get you banned you from ever buying a Tesla again.
Correcting my previous post, 7 day return is no longer an option for Tesla buyers.
Tesla cancels its ballsy 'no questions asked' 7-day return policy - Electrek

So I guess if your roof flies off on your way home, you get to make a service appointment via your app once your car appears in your Tesla account.;)

This morning, I had a rock chip on the windshield repaired on my other (non-Tesla) vehicle at a glass place that my insurance company recommended.

While killing some time, I asked the receptionist if they replace windshields on Teslas. She said they used to, but stopped because it took so long to get the glass from Tesla. Some things never change...

Did they pay you interest, or did was that just a price for letting you drive off with a car?

They didn't pay me any interest. In fact, I had a loan on the car that I had to make payments on, and since the interest is front loaded in payments I ended up paying a lot of interest (just a few hundred dollars probably, but still) on a loan on a car that I had returned months prior