Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted that earlier today and it was downvoted. There were more details about it from wholemars shill.

Oh, didn’t see it! This is hilarious. Anyone paying this is smoking the same stuff Elon is….. absolutely no one is going to be paying premium years from now for a “Foundation Edition”

Maybe if it included the range extender?

What’s this I hear AP and FSD aren’t working on the CT?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Oh, didn’t see it! This is hilarious. Anyone paying this is smoking the same stuff Elon is….. absolutely no one is going to be paying premium years from now for a “Foundation Edition”

Maybe if it included the range extender?

What’s this I hear AP and FSD aren’t working on the CT?
Apparently either some or all of the ones delivered already were these.

I can't recall but Elon is being quoted that the CT/911 drag race was a 1/4 mile. The question needs to be raised. Elon, do you have no sense of decency sir?

Last edited:
I can't recall but Elon is being quoted that the CT/911 drag race was a 1/4 mile. The question needs to be raised. Elon, do you have no sense of decency sir?

And there's no reason to. The 1/8 mile is impressive. Why mention the 1/4 mile (who knows, maybe it beats it there, too) when the video is of half that distance?

He very carefully never says "quarter" before the video. The race video is clearly to the 1/8 mi (first set of markers). The 1/8 video plays. On the screen says "1/4 mile time <11s". He then says "It can tow a Porsche 911 across a quarter mile faster than a Porsche 911 can go by itself".

So presumably it will do both? The tri should be good to 130 mph top speed which I don't think it will break in the 1/4 with a trailer based on the videos I've seen.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
lol man, how blinkered do you have to be to actually believe this.

Elon touted the glass as being able to resist a steel ball being thrown at it, and then it failed on both attempts to do so. Are you seriously suggesting that this was some kind of in joke or something? That it's actually a masterstroke to show your product failing at something you said it could do?

In the "delivery event" they threw a baseball at it with the softest of throws. There's even some debate as to whether it was actually a baseball given how high it bounced afterwards.

Pretty much all of the commentary - even on pro-Tesla subreddits like /r/teslamotors, /r/cybertruck was that the event was a mess and a disappointment to those who had been waiting for more info. The prices (which are still estimates) are all significantly higher than promised, the ranges are significantly lower than promised, etc.

Staggering credulity really.
I think you get the word of the day award:

1701734571325.png

He very carefully never says "quarter" before the video. The race video is clearly to the 1/8 mi (first set of markers). The 1/8 video plays. On the screen says "1/4 mile time <11s". He then says "It can tow a Porsche 911 across a quarter mile faster than a Porsche 911 can go by itself".

So presumably it will do both? The tri should be good to 130 mph top speed which I don't think it will break in the 1/4 with a trailer based on the videos I've seen.
Gotta love it. Details matter right? Just shows that the videos were click bait for the fanboys to continue to promote the brand regardless of whether the details actually pan out to be true. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. 😂

Yes - but how many normal people actually know that .45ACP is subsonic? Not many people really. They see those videos along with the false claims that this thing is bulletproof from the CEO, and that's good enough for the average person. I wonder if the order agreement or warranty will actually have verbiage to offset this issue. It seems like this could be a real liability issue on some level. That's really what surprises me more than anything. In today's litigious society making claims like this can be risky IMHO.
I knew, here are other subsonic rifle cartridges:
7.62mm Thumper
8.6mm Blackout
9×39mm
12.7×55mm STs-130
.45 Raptor
.300 AAC Blackout
.300 Whisper
.338 Whisper
.375 SOCOM
.458 SOCOM
.500 Whisper
.510 Whisper

This truck is Fugazi Bullet Proof

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
The thing is, even at subsonic speeds, I wouldn't trust a .300 AAC at 220gr to not penetrate... Twice the mass (and energy) of the 9mm 115gr they were shooting in a 20% skinnier bullet. That's why the supersonic/subsonic thing isn't really the definitive feature.

The thing is, even at subsonic speeds, I wouldn't trust a .300 AAC at 220gr to not penetrate... Twice the mass (and energy) of the 9mm 115gr they were shooting in a 20% skinnier bullet. That's why the supersonic/subsonic thing isn't really the definitive feature.
that's why putting that into a demonstration video and having the CEO making bold statements at delivery event was incredibly irresponsible. My guess is that if you park your Cybertruck in a bad part of town - it will look like one of those country street signs in rural areas....

Show me a more capable, faster, and better handling truck for less money.
The Ford Lightning. More capable, speed is a wash vs the Dual Motor CT, and the Ford will handle better off road.
Did people seriously expect they were going to launch with 2018 40k pricing? Prices are exactly in line with what I had expected...
I expected the top of the line to be $100k (I am on record saying that here on TMC for years now) but I did expect it to have 500 miles of range for that price. Instead Tesla both cranked the price and sunk the range. The absolute worst of all worlds.
No, you will have to go to Lucid for that.
The Ford Lightning as massaging seats.
To be fair…

The Ford’s frunk is a vestige of a truck designed with a huge engine up there. With undoubtedly a large penalty aerodynamically. I doubt that a ground-up Ford design will have as huge a frunk. Imagine the CyberTruck design with a huge rectangular bump in the hood to accommodate a similarly huge frunk. Yuck.
You are wrong. The range between the Lightning and CT are very close (320 vs 340 and the CT will never get 340 in the real world while the Ford gets much closer to its rated range) and the battery size is very close (126kWh for the CT and 131kWh for the Ford). So where is this huge aerodynamic penalty for the large frunk?
What's so obvious from the video? Do you see any disclaimers in these videos that they're only using subsonic rounds? I sure don't, and the CEO constantly uses the term bulletproof over and over again - even Franz used the term bulletproof in the video clip I linked to - only to have Lars correct him - likely to level set expectations so that Tesla isn't sued later down the line when making such false statements. There's the hype, and then there's the reality.
frankly... they should get sued after making those claims at an official launch event including a demonstration video...
To be fair the video does include the muzzle velocity in the video. Supersonic is ~1,200fps (depending on altitude, etc). My point being any suit will be thrown out because Tesla only demonstrated subsonic rounds and they showed that in the video. Ignorance of how firearms work is no defense.

The Ford Lightning. More capable, speed is a wash vs the Dual Motor CT, and the Ford will handle better off road.

I expected the top of the line to be $100k (I am on record saying that here on TMC for years now) but I did expect it to have 500 miles of range for that price. Instead Tesla both cranked the price and sunk the range. The absolute worst of all worlds.

The Ford Lightning as massaging seats.

You are wrong. The range between the Lightning and CT are very close (320 vs 340 and the CT will never get 340 in the real world while the Ford gets much closer to its rated range) and the battery size is very close (126kWh for the CT and 131kWh for the Ford). So where is this huge aerodynamic penalty for the large frunk?

To be fair the video does include the muzzle velocity in the video. Supersonic is ~1,200fps (depending on altitude, etc). My point being any suit will be thrown out because Tesla only demonstrated subsonic rounds and they showed that in the video. Ignorance of how firearms work is no defense.
Agree with everything except the Ignorance of firearms. Elon has said maybe 20 times that it will "stop pretty much any hand gun". He's also said it's bullet proof to a 9mm round. He didn't qualify the subsonic or fps.

If we just throw out Elon statements, sure, but I think if someone was shot through the door with a 9mm, they could cite Elon, no?

Agree with everything except the Ignorance of firearms. Elon has said maybe 20 times that it will "stop pretty much any hand gun". He's also said it's bullet proof to a 9mm round. He didn't qualify the subsonic or fps.

If we just throw out Elon statements, sure, but I think if someone was shot through the door with a 9mm, they could cite Elon, no?
What a CEO says or writes, should carry a lot of weight and accountability. With Elon, that doesn't seem to apply, as he is "above all of that," in the eyes of many.... and is never held accountable (yet)....