Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam Feature Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="CameronB, post: 2284788, member: 54754"

If you were me and already had a brand new Blackvue camera (still sealed in box), but have heard of this future dash cam feature, would you still go ahead and just install it now or would you wait to see how the software version is first? And if you'd wait, how long would you wait?

i'd install the camera. Its kind of fun, and an accomplishment to do so. Especially if you conceal the cable to the rear cameras across the hatch.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's kind of the way I'm leaning. I like the (slight) DIY challenge. I still have a few weeks to wait until my recently tinted windows are fully "cured" before I attach the cameras to them. Thanks for the encouragement!

...not playing a video game!!

My current BlacVue dash cam don't even have a screen for me to play with!

I don't think most would look at their dash cam while driving.

I use it as a silent witness in case I need to call one for accident or vandalism report.

I am exciting about Tesla Service because I won't need to worry about hauling another third party equipment.

Who cares???? Why the heck do people think they need a dash cam?? You're driving a car for Pete's sake, not playing a video game!!

Certainly not everyone needs one. I haven't had any on my previous cars. But that was at least partially due to the fact that most dash cams I had seen up until that time were ugly, big and had too-low resolution. Then I came across (thanks to this site!) Blackvue's low profile cameras in a dual channel (front and rear) format. There are some other good ones too, including Thinkware.

I am personally interested in a dash cam for A) accident recording (particularly if rear-ended), B) chance (though not great) to get footage of any break-ins (there have been an increasingly number of these smash and grab (or at least 'smash and explore for things to grab') and C) record some good AutoPilot footage. This third reason may be atypical but since I seem to have much better success with AutoPilot (2) than what others on this forum report, I thought it would be nice to record some footage of AP2 driving for 90+ mins at a time (accomplished multiple times) with no input - including 'smooth as silk' lane staying and driving around sharp corners at 75mph (Anxiety-inducing? yes. Nevertheless amazing: Yes!).

They do (especially dual channel ones) take some work to install and/or payment of additional $ to a professional installer to install. I think that factor limits popularity. If there were power connectors built into the rear-view mirror housing and a connecting wire to the rear already installed in the car (which would make installing a dual channel dash cam setup more of a 5 minute affair), I think the popularity would shoot up an order of magnitude. So I suspect that having, essentially a software dash cam solution (for Tesla) could be immensely popular.

Who cares???? Why the heck do people think they need a dash cam?? You're driving a car for Pete's sake, not playing a video game!!

Venus Williams was involved in an accident in June that resulted in a man's death, and she was initially ruled at-fault by the police. She faced possible jail time and almost certainly a hugely expensive wrongful death lawsuit/settlement from the man's family.

It wasn't until weeks later that the police found video footage from a security camera down the street that exonerated her and showed that she was not at fault. She got really lucky in that respect (if you could even say that, given the circumstances). It's not hard to believe that the police would not have done as thorough of an investigation for an average citizen.

If she had a dash cam she would have been exonerated right away. And given that Teslas already have all the necessary hardware to provide the functionality of a dash cam, it seems like a no-brainer that such a feature should be made available, even if it requires an activation fee. It would have been priceless in that situation.

Venus Williams was involved in an accident in June that resulted in a man's death, and she was initially ruled at-fault by the police. She faced possible jail time and almost certainly a hugely expensive wrongful death lawsuit/settlement from the man's family.

It wasn't until weeks later that the police found video footage from a security camera down the street that exonerated her and showed that she was not at fault. She got really lucky in that respect (if you could even say that, given the circumstances). It's not hard to believe that the police would not have done as thorough of an investigation for an average citizen.

If she had a dash cam she would have been exonerated right away. And given that Teslas already have all the necessary hardware to provide the functionality of a dash cam, it seems like a no-brainer that such a feature should be made available, even if it requires an activation fee. It would have been priceless in that situation.
jsmay good response. Dash cams are more then helpful they could also reduce your insurance. Witnesses aren't always a good source of what exactly happened in an accident, a video would much better. I've also noted that dash cams are pretty common in Europe.

If you were me and already had a brand new Blackvue camera (still sealed in box), but have heard of this future dash cam feature, would you still go ahead and just install it now or would you wait to see how the software version is first? And if you'd wait, how long would you wait?

I would just install it. The Blackvue will probably be a higher quality, more mature product, and you'll have the video coverage instead of waiting for Tesla's.

It's hard to imagine Tesla's built-in solution will have much video coverage -- where would all the video be spooled to? I'm imagining something at best, "view the last ten minutes on demand, with auto-saving if the car detects an emergency or break-in".

I would just install it. The Blackvue will probably be a higher quality, more mature product, and you'll have the video coverage instead of waiting for Tesla's.

It's hard to imagine Tesla's built-in solution will have much video coverage -- where would all the video be spooled to? I'm imagining something at best, "view the last ten minutes on demand, with auto-saving if the car detects an emergency or break-in".
I just received my Model S AP2 to DashCam which I purchased on eBay from China via DHL.
I chose it because included a polarizing filter to avoid glare and reflections from the windshield.
I also feel it is more elegant design than the topfit aesthetically speaking. I also checked out the app which seemed much better as well.
I initially tried to order it, however the seller informed me that Tesla had revised the housing for the Model S AP2 mirror several times affectind how well it fit . He had me remove the housing and send him the part number.
Then he ordered that part from Tesla so they could modify their parts for a perfect fit .
After more than a month of waiting he had me re-order it and it arrived today .
I have included photos of all packaging and components.
The packaging and documentation is extremely high quality and well designed.
I will attach pages from the instructions on another post.
I will attach pages from the instructions on subsequent posts
After I have attempted to install it, I will post additional information.
View attachment 245899 View attachment 245889 View attachment 245891 View attachment 245892 .

Check out my thread referenced in this post.
Not waiting for Tesla built-in Camera DashCam functionality either. I just installed an IRO AP2 Dash Cam. Limited features. No power when parked. No GPS. No rear camera. Installed in under 5 minutes myself. Nearly invisible. No wires cut... Can be uninstalled just as quickly. I don't imagine Tesla built-in Camera DashCam functionality would offer much more than this solution does.

I just wish they would make easily accessible 12v always on, 12v switched, and ground available front mirror and back.

It would make dash cam an easy add on and one could shop the features they want.
I noticed a 12v socket in the back of the X. Now to determine if it's always on or switched. I understand some came switched and some were always on.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Here is an article that shows some of how the initial version of the Tesla dashcam is going to work in V9: Here’s how Tesla’s new dashcam feature using Autopilot cameras works

I don't think people will be totally happy with it...

heh... "Note: When connected, the flash drive is dedicated to dashcam only. It cannot also be used to play media files."

That's the part I'm least happy about... now I've got to buy a second power/data splitter cable and a second big USB key.

Most of the rest of the not-so-great bits in the feature can/will be improved (more cameras, recording when car is off, etc) given Elon specifically said the v9 dashcam is early beta and 9.1 will be a ton better.

Sticking a USB stick in and creating a folder with a specific name? It’s very clear that this feature was rushed and a last minute thing. Everyone needs to chill out, this will be vastly improved over time.
I wonder if it matters what usb port you use. Does it have to be one of the ones in the front, or would it be okay to use one of the usb ports in the back?