Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dear Elon: just remove navigation from your cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I'm happy to see that my wife and I can still have the Google maps (going forward, Tesla nav) vs Waze debate every time we go somewhere. I'm the former, she's the latter. I just don't like the video-game experience of the Waze UI. And I don't really care if there is another Wazer right next to me. And I don't want to earn points for anything.

I believe the car gets traffic data from Google, I find that Tesla vs Waze is usually spot on, unless something very recent happened where Waze user data hasn't been updated to Google Maps either.

Agree.

Not to say that they are accurate. Just matching. Those two things are different.

I get all kinds of red / orange traffic indications in local neighborhoods that are completely ridiculous.

Reactions: Snow Drift
Comparing it to other manufacturers' nav systems is fair, but it's also not the complete picture. Clearly Tesla has provided an API to developers to port their software to the Tesla system (the arcade alone is evidence of that). I imagine it would be almost trivial to allow Google Maps (and/or Waze, and/or ABRP) to be ported, which raises the question of why they haven't, and instead are insisting on writing their own, inferior nav system.

The biggest reason I like Waze is the speed trap warnings. It was also useful in Atlanta when a section of I-85 collapsed. The are the best at off-highway navigation.

I don't understand why Tesla refuses to have CarPlay. It clearly has functionality that the Tesla OS does not have.

Plus pretending their cars are self-driving so they don't need smartphone integration is a stupid argument. If it were true then they should make FSD standard instead of a $10k option.

Apple owned the smartphone market, and then lost a lot of market share because Steve Jobs refused to make screens larger than 3.5 inches. This feels like that.

Reactions: patnshan
I like Waze, as reported, for the police warnings. But, I don't know how Tesla would incorporate Waze navigation as the Tesla routing takes into account not only traffic/time but also battery efficiency. They would need to use Waze until they saw it would impact range, which could be confusing. Unless they just added the Waze sightings and didn't use the navigation data.

Or perhaps Waze won't or can't share sightings since they aren't native in Google Maps. I still don't understand why Waze hasn't been absorbed into Google Maps to offer one application.

Reactions: patnshan
This platform or security argument is non-sense. Implementing Carplay/Auto would be no harder than Hulu/Netflix/gaming that Tesla seems obsessed with. My car is for driving. A bunch of options while parked is a waste of time. Face it, Tesla wants an ecosystem filled with cult-like devotees. Supporting other ecosystems would make the coolaide taste suspiciously like almonds.

This is not true. If you didn't notice, Netflix etc take over the whole screen, which isnt a big deal when you are parked or supercharging. For the M3, though, CarPlay would need to be much more subtly inter-mixed with stuff like speedometer, AP view, warnings etc etc. While possible, this is vastly more complex than just "stuff on CarPlay and be done". And, priority-wise, I'd rather they focused on FSD. I have an iPhone, and use CarPlay in other cars, and like it, but I dont think its a life-or-death thing that it's not on my M3.

My (2018) BMW Nav was slightly better IMHO, it supported more options, and of course HUD integration was excellent. But Tesla is way better than just about any other integrated nav I had on any other brand.

One feature I think would be useful (apart from adding waypoints and alternative route selection) is to indicate the delay due to traffic. Should be very simple to add that, it allows to make your own decision about e.g. waiting a bit until the traffic clears, or taking an alternative route that the navigation system doesn't like.

Just curious, how often does everyone use the nav? I'd say that I know exactly where I'm going 99% of the time, and the other 1% I'll ask Siri to ride shotgun.

I suppose there's value in real-time data of traffic and hazards, but most of the time I can judge the conditions and respond appropriately.

To be fair, the last 12 months of driving have been atypical lol

I've used so many nav systems, in-car and add-on and they all have their pluses and minuses. The Tesla one is not bad, though the one thing I would like to see are route options.

But I do use Navigation even when I know where I'm going because you can't NoA without it.

Reactions: CyberGus
This is not true. If you didn't notice, Netflix etc take over the whole screen, which isnt a big deal when you are parked or supercharging. For the M3, though, CarPlay would need to be much more subtly inter-mixed with stuff like speedometer, AP view, warnings etc etc. While possible, this is vastly more complex than just "stuff on CarPlay and be done". And, priority-wise, I'd rather they focused on FSD. I have an iPhone, and use CarPlay in other cars, and like it, but I dont think its a life-or-death thing that it's not on my M3.
Agreed. Carplay and Android Auto is a lot more work than Netflix. Netflix is just an app in the system, but both of those options need a lot more integration to work well.

In comments previously Elon entertained the idea of screen mirroring of some sort, so it's not like Tesla is fundamentally opposed to the idea of something similar, just that likely all their attention right now is focused elsewhere.

I've used so many nav systems, in-car and add-on and they all have their pluses and minuses. The Tesla one is not bad, though the one thing I would like to see are route options.

But I do use Navigation even when I know where I'm going because you can't NoA without it.

+1 .. and I dont think that will change any time soon. And with FSD coming along (well, hopefully), the built-in nav will be far more critical. I dont see any way Tesla would ever allow a 3rd party nav app to provide directions to the car when on AP (liability issues).

Reactions: CyberGus
I disagree with the original post.

In my experience the Tesla nav is better than my previous cars. Audi was OK but would often change routes unnecessarily (I ignored it many times, no impact on my journey) and Landrover seemed to have a built in algorithm to route me over single lane dirt tracks, again unnecessarily, obviously it liked to use its 4x4 skills :)

I find the Tesla nav easy to use, the Google earth mapping looks good (I’m glad I have premium connectivity for this reason primarily) and the integration with the supercharger network is invaluable. It’s rerouted me a few times to miss traffic jams and done so accurately ie. when actually needed. No complaints here. Other than (1) I’d like to get route alternatives like my Audi nav and (2) The only time it failed me was when trying to find a Tesla service centre in Bristol (UK), which I found quite funny

Agreed. Carplay and Android Auto is a lot more work than Netflix. Netflix is just an app in the system, but both of those options need a lot more integration to work well.

Netflix and the games require tons of processing power. Auto/Carplay just requires a little screen real estate to window to your phone that does the heavy lifting.

Tesla just wants your $10/mo or even more as they ask for FSD be added to the monthly fee. Maybe another $1/mo for heated seats, etc. Just a way to get more dollars out of fanbois.

Netflix and the games require tons of processing power. Auto/Carplay just requires a little screen real estate to window to your phone that does the heavy lifting.
I'm not talking about processing power, I'm talking about the software development effort and the APIs necessary to make it work properly with the car infotainment system.

Automotive  |  Android Open Source Project

Adding Android Auto and/or Carplay is a lot more effort than writing an app for the Tesla system (which would use their own internal APIs).