Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be the vampire charge, but 10 miles is pretty significant if your car finishes charging from a scheduled charge at 3:30 am. Perhaps the car didn't charge this morning? Tesla can tell you if you work with the service center, but it might be something you wait to determine until later.

Have you checked your charging level slider to determine whether it was accidentally set lower? Perhaps try a range charge to 100% to see where it ends up, if it seems to be set to the right amount?

A call to the service center would allow them to pull logs and look to see if there's a problem after you try those steps.

Thanks, I contacted Tesla and Service center is pulling the Logs and looking at it.
I verified that the charge limit was set to 90%.
Hopefully, it is just that the Scheduled charging didn't start.
Otherwise Range Loss and Vampire Drain will make it a larger problem.

I have understood that the "extra" range (above spesifications) drops fast. I have thought that Tesla purposly puts some extra milage in battery because there's fast drop in the beginning. I don't see any problem with that. After few cycles degradation tapers.

That hasn't been my experience with the Roadster - it still charges to the same level today as when the battery was fresh out of the factory four years ago.

The Model S has gone through several changes in firmware which makes it tough to compare capacity over time. Tom Saxton is gathering data for a Model S battery study which should shed some light on it. So far the results aren't showing an initial drop.

Plug In America

Battery Study Updates | Plug In America

85kw battery
18,000 miles.
90% = 220 miles
100% = 242 miles

Not much of a change since my last posting. I'm going to start charging to 90% to see if that changes anything. One thing to note is that the miles drop off quickly @ 90%. Which means that after driving 1 actual mile, I see 2 or 3 rated mile drop. After a 10 mile trip, I've usually used about 15 rated miles @ 290 kw/mile. It gets accurate after the driving 10 miles or so.

Thanks, I contacted Tesla and Service center is pulling the Logs and looking at it.
I verified that the charge limit was set to 90%.
Hopefully, it is just that the Scheduled charging didn't start.
Otherwise Range Loss and Vampire Drain will make it a larger problem.

I'd say that likely it either didn't start the charge at all or it just charged a small amount, due to being so close to the selected charge limit already.

How can this study be useful if, as you say, the firmware versions change the reading?
The Model S study will just be a mess, since there has been quite a few firmware changes coupled with both A and B packs, which tend to have different readings. I really cannot see how an accurate conclusion could be made.

After 15 months and 21k miles, my B pack gets 228 rated to 90%, and 262 to max range(still on FW 5.8).

Just reporting back. I've had to range charge to 100% every day last week due to extensive driving and draining of my 60kW pack. Now, like I had mentioned, I was getting 199 to 203 (if lucky) with 5.11, literally a overnight change from 5.9. Now, this morning, I magically hit 205 and it was still charging at 8 amps (1 minute remaining.........) I had to hit the road, I timed it so it should have been done about a hour to 1 1/2 hours before leaving, so something caused it to keep er goin. I was pleasantly suprised. I was at just a hair under 31,000 miles on my 60 pack, 1 year 2 week-ish of ownership. So the software seems to be re-calculating my range again, though, it took MANY (about 16) 100% charges then it used to to recalculate. In the past, would (seem to) recalculate after 2-3 100% charges. And I did drain it relitively low last week a number of times. So we will see what happens. I have decided, by request from my viewers for my growing youtube channel, that I will report 100% range every approx 1,000 miles from this point on, as I have a "fairly" high mileage 60 pack compared to most.

I have been consistently getting 240 - 242 rated range on 90% Charge.
However, Yesterday, I plugged the car in with 230 miles rated range left.
I have scheduled charging and it starts at 3:30 AM at 22 miles/hour (I charge at 30 AMP)
Anyway, This morning, my car was at 230 miles rated range and it showed charging complete.
I was wondering, if I can somehow find out, whether it started charging or not?
Was this a Vampire loss from 3:30 AM to 7:30 AM?
OR Did I lose 10 miles of rated range overnight?

Can anyone help me understand this?
I have 4600 miles on the car and It is just shy of 1 and half month old.

Thanks

Reporting Back, I had restarted both Consoles and reset the charge limit again to 90% before plugging the car back in yesterday evening.
This morning, It was charged correctly to 240 miles.
So, I guess, it didn't start the charge yesterday or the charge limit was somehow changed (I have 6 yr old son and he likes to play with the center console)
Everything is well with the car and battery.

Reporting Back, I had restarted both Consoles and reset the charge limit again to 90% before plugging the car back in yesterday evening.
This morning, It was charged correctly to 240 miles.
So, I guess, it didn't start the charge yesterday or the charge limit was somehow changed (I have 6 yr old son and he likes to play with the center console)
Everything is well with the car and battery.

You were only 10 miles below 90% when you plugged in. If it's already really close, it usually won't bother charging. Also, if you're really close, you usually don't get the same charge level. I assume it's because the pack never gets warmed up. For instance, my 80% is usually 160-162 miles. If I plug in with, say, 145 miles remaining, a lot of times I only have 156-158 miles after it tops up to 80%. The next time I charge the usual 60 or so miles, it ends up back in the 160-162 range.

You were only 10 miles below 90% when you plugged in. If it's already really close, it usually won't bother charging. Also, if you're really close, you usually don't get the same charge level. I assume it's because the pack never gets warmed up. For instance, my 80% is usually 160-162 miles. If I plug in with, say, 145 miles remaining, a lot of times I only have 156-158 miles after it tops up to 80%. The next time I charge the usual 60 or so miles, it ends up back in the 160-162 range.
I can second this as I've seen similar in my car. I find that within 10 miles, it for sure doesn't charge. I also wonder if this tricks the calculation to believing 90%/100% is lower than it was before and helps speed up the "degradation/miscalculation" issue.

I can second this as I've seen similar in my car. I find that within 10 miles, it for sure doesn't charge. I also wonder if this tricks the calculation to believing 90%/100% is lower than it was before and helps speed up the "degradation/miscalculation" issue.

What about if you unplug and re-insert the charge cable? I swear I have filled up to 90%, got a few miles of vampire loss, and recharged back to 90% again (after an unplug/replug cycle).
I thought that unplugging the charge cable reset the "Charge Complete" state that prevents the charger to re-engaging when close to charge complete.

What about if you unplug and re-insert the charge cable? I swear I have filled up to 90%, got a few miles of vampire loss, and recharged back to 90% again (after an unplug/replug cycle).

I have found that I can accomplish this by setting the charge percentage to 100% on the mobile app then, after the charge cycle begins, I put it back to 90% or wherever it was before.

I thought that unplugging the charge cable reset the "Charge Complete" state that prevents the charger to re-engaging when close to charge complete.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it not charge even after driving a few miles and plugging back in.

Another range update from this weekend's road trip. My car now has over 29,000 miles on the original battery and 1 year of ownership. My range charge still yields 209 rated miles (238 Ideal).

After one year of ownership, I am still floored at how fantastic this car is.

Tesla 8-10-14.jpg

Edit: I guess it's due for a dash cleaning.

Another range update from this weekend's road trip. My car now has over 29,000 miles on the original battery and 1 year of ownership. My range charge still yields 209 rated miles (238 Ideal).

After one year of ownership, I am still floored at how fantastic this car is.

View attachment 56154

Edit: I guess it's due for a dash cleaning.

That's is insanely good. Congrats. My 60 only got 208 when brand new.
I have 35k miles and I get 198 on a full range charge.

What's your secret?