Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ lots of deep cycling?

Actually, no. I do most miles with lots of shallow cycling. My daily commute 75-100 miles, but I usually charge both at home and work, so typically 35 to 50 miles per cycle twice a day. However, I do deep cycle from full range charge to near empty at least once every month or two months. Did a lot of traveling and range charges during July. During the summer months I have started setting the charge slider down to about 80% most of the time (winter always 90%). After doing this for a while it will bring the max rated range down to about 205ish. I have long ago found I can restore some range buy letting the battery spend a cool night on a range charge. If I do that a couple of times it will bring the range back up to at least 208. If I range charge to completion on a supercharger, it's really effective at restoring range. It's not just temporary either, I did more range charges on a cold battery from a 90% charge and it still went right up 209 rated miles using the umc. (see pic below)
Tesla_8-10-14.jpg

Actually, no. I do most miles with lots of shallow cycling. My daily commute 75-100 miles, but I usually charge both at home and work, so typically 35 to 50 miles per cycle twice a day. However, I do deep cycle from full range charge to near empty at least once every month or two months. Did a lot of traveling and range charges during July. During the summer months I have started setting the charge slider down to about 80% most of the time (winter always 90%). After doing this for a while it will bring the max rated range down to about 205ish. I have long ago found I can restore some range buy letting the battery spend a cool night on a range charge. If I do that a couple of times it will bring the range back up to at least 208. If I range charge to completion on a supercharger, it's really effective at restoring range. It's not just temporary either, I did more range charges on a cold battery from a 90% charge and it still went right up 209 rated miles. (see pic below)View attachment 56167

thx for summary!

After a year of never seeing more than 262 miles rated after a Range Charge, I was charged at the Service Center last week and the car showed 272 Rated when I picked it up...go figure.

How is that even possible? I though 265 miles was the top Rated miles for a Range Charge.

When mine was new, I could get 263 to 265 Rated miles, but now I'm at about 240 if I'm lucky (32,000 miles / 15 months).

After a year of never seeing more than 262 miles rated after a Range Charge, I was charged at the Service Center last week and the car showed 272 Rated when I picked it up...go figure.

This synchs with my 90% charge experiences. My 90% had dropped to 225 or so, 100% to 252. Now (since 5.11 I believe) my 90% is now 235. I have not done 100%, but that extrapolates to 262. Big jump, I'm presuming either from algorithm change or from better balancing implementation in BMS.

I'm at 17k miles and 15 months. My full charge is 136 miles, sometimes 135. It's been very consistent since the firmware correction earlier this year that bumped it back up from the low 120's. Whether I can actually get 136 miles at 300 Wh/mi is another story, but it's close. When I first got the car I think it read 145 fully charged. They did some decent work to get a more realistic number displayed there, and the prior versions of firmware were probably misreporting.

I have 11,550 miles on my 60 Kwh Model S. Purchased in Feb 2014. The rated range charge in miles has decreased from 209 to 184. The biggest drop (206-194) came after the 5.9 firmware update. Tesla service cannot explain.

Have you ever checked to see where the slider is for the charge level? Someone may have moved it, or a change with an update.

Actually, no. I do most miles with lots of shallow cycling. My daily commute 75-100 miles, but I usually charge both at home and work, so typically 35 to 50 miles per cycle twice a day. However, I do deep cycle from full range charge to near empty at least once every month or two months. Did a lot of traveling and range charges during July. During the summer months I have started setting the charge slider down to about 80% most of the time (winter always 90%). After doing this for a while it will bring the max rated range down to about 205ish. I have long ago found I can restore some range buy letting the battery spend a cool night on a range charge. If I do that a couple of times it will bring the range back up to at least 208.

Leaving you pack overnight with a range charge is a very bad idea. Never do this. When you need to range charge time it so the charge finishes when you leave. About the worst thing you can do to a pack is leave it fully charged.

Leaving you pack overnight with a range charge is a very bad idea. Never do this. When you need to range charge time it so the charge finishes when you leave. About the worst thing you can do to a pack is leave it fully charged.

I am certainly aware of the cell degradation curve with respect to cell voltage. Being at 100% charge or a 0% charge gives the most cell degradation with respect to time, so yes you are correct in that you don't want to leave your battery like this for any longer than you need to. The times when you need to do this is when you need the range and when you want to balance the battery to maximize potential range. I wish I could fully balance the battery without having to do the 100% charge, but its what it is. I have had success doing "short" balances, just going to 100% then quickly bring it back down. But in my experience the most effective balancing was done as an "overnight" or at least an hours long session at 100%. Especially if the battery is way out of balance. Also keep in mind 100% charge is probably only around 4.1 Volts to 4.15 volts at the cell. I believe Tesla doesn't ever go to a true 100% 4.2 volts during charging (it may get that high during regen after doing a range charge). The only other thing I will say is I have been doing many range charges and long balancing sessions. I have over 30K miles on my original battery. I still get 209 miles rated range.

Edit: I will also mention that high temperature + high cell voltage is extra bad. So when I do the "overnight range charge" session I make sure I do it on a cold battery. My car in my garage sits at a stable 63 F (garage is built into the basement of the house), so this helps.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to do range charges so that they would finish or just be finishing at the time I leave. Not any more. If I'm leaving in the morning I don't even give it a second thought and just let it charge up the night before. The advantages outweigh the costs as it is the only way to get Tesla's BMS to balance apparently.