Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a few examples why looking at 'rated range' as a measure for battery degradation isn't working:

when my car was new it showed 271 miles at 100%, a few weeks later it only went up to 265 but didn't start counting down miles for the first few miles I drove. A few months later I starts to count down normal.
Last week I had 44 miles left, started driving very gently and it dropped down 7 miles of me driving only 3 miles.
Temperature and several other things are factored into the miles prediction the car shows.
As mentioned by Tesla, the battery gauge is a mathmatical model that considers a lot of things to make a best guess on how many miles you will be able to get. It is not a simple kWh measure. The algorithm has been adjusted and changed over the different firmware versions. It cannot be used as a gauge to tell battery aging.

So you have confidence that the rated calculation has changed but that ideal never will? Interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll just have to (hopefully) agree to disagree here.

When I get, say, 200 miles of range per charge and metric A says I should be getting 221 and metric B says I should be getting > 250 then I like metric A better.

"What's really in your battery" is not of interest for this purpose.

And for the record, once again, Projected got it better than either Rated, Ideal, Typical, or anything else Tesla has done with my firmware since. I wish I could get Projected back on my instrument cluster, but Tesla owns all the cards here. I'm powerless in this regard.

This thread is about battery degradation, not about providing you with a reliable range estimate. If battery degradation is your concern, ideal miles will provide you with the best estimate of your battery's capacity. If you don't believe me, contact Tesla and they will tell you. Or you can reference the many posts on this subject earlier in this thread or others. It's a well known fact that ideal range is the preferred metric to determine whether your battery capacity has changed.

This thread is about battery degradation, not about providing you with a reliable range estimate. If battery degradation is your concern, ideal miles will provide you with the best estimate of your battery's capacity. If you don't believe me, contact Tesla and they will tell you. Or you can reference the many posts on this subject earlier in this thread or others. It's a well known fact that ideal range is the preferred metric to determine whether your battery capacity has changed.

No offense, but this thread is actually about decreasing rated range. It's the title of the thread.

No offense, but this thread is actually about decreasing rated range. It's the title of the thread.

No offense right back at you, but this is from the very first post of this thread:

Hi all - so my car has 4200 miles and I noticed that over the past week my rated range has dropped. Used to say 241-243 miles after a std charge. Now, it's showing 236. Is that degradation in play? Only 4200 miles...

Try not to let the boldface portion hit you in the face.

If my advice doesn't apply to you, skip it. No need to argue about it, right?

Posts like yours are why I spend more time at TM forums than here. The interactions are much more civil over there. Here, you get picked on for offering up information that might be helpful to others, even when that information relates directly to the question asked by the thread author. A little less hostility would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reporting in some stats:
1yr, 9 months old, 24k miles, 60kWh "A" pack
100% rated range = 198 miles, range mode off
90% = 178 miles
ver 6.0

I generally charge to 90% and have a 16 mile round trip commute with 400ft up and 800ft down on the way to work.
Road trips are through superchargers (tahoe, LA) and have max charged about 15-20 times.

Reporting my stats:

1 year and 6 months, 60 kWh A pack
80% (150 miles vs 166 miles original)...
ver 6.0
Major drop in range happened after V5.6 and is constantly dropping. I range charge very rarely. And when I do, I don't see all the miles coming back but I see the strange behavior of charging continuing long after the estimate and mikles being capped. When I drive, the miles are not coming down right away but only after a few miles.

Tesla needs to fix this. This is freaking out all of us. One of the many things the Service Center will check on Thursday for me.

My stats:
1 yr 8 months, 60 kWh A pack
90% 176 rated miles, range mode on
ver 5.12

I normally charge to 75% until 4 weeks ago when my 90% range fell to 172 miles - changed schedule to doing 90% charges twice a week and have recovered a mile of range each week. Will continue this routine for a few more weeks....

Interesting about the Range setting. I hadn't considered that would make a difference. I'm going to have to play around with that and see what I get.

...It's a well known fact that ideal range is the preferred metric to determine whether your battery capacity has changed.

Mike: See what numbers you get with rated and ideal when you turn range on and off. I'm curious how linear the relationship between rated and ideal is. I always thought ideal was just the rated figure multiplied by a constant, that is, until I read Amped's note.

Bill

Mike: See what numbers you get with rated and ideal when you turn range on and off. I'm curious how linear the relationship between rated and ideal is. I always thought ideal was just the rated figure multiplied by a constant, that is, until I read Amped's note.

Haven't tried it yet, but my question is this: Do you have to set the Range Mode on first, then charge or will you see a change in the car's display right as you toggle between Range and Normal?

Haven't tried it yet, but my question is this: Do you have to set the Range Mode on first, then charge or will you see a change in the car's display right as you toggle between Range and Normal?
I haven't tried it either, but Bighorn seems to know how that works. I've never kept track of both rated and ideal at various SOC's, so I'm curious how they behave re Amped's post. You do a lot more driving than I do, over a wider range of SOC's. My only driving today has been in front of a hay baler...

You can see a difference if you toggle back and forth--may take part of a minute to recalculate.

I have been toggling range mode on/off to see the difference in miles and to see what my ideal miles are at different levels (90, 80, etc..). I have notice that it always recalculates from On -> Off (loses 1-2 miles) but when toggling it back, it doesn't always recalculate. I am not sure if this is a bug and then hurts my rated range numbers - but it seems as though it sits at the lower value longer to accommodate.

I seemed to have lost a bit of range pretty quickly but switched to 80% charge level early on in ownership, which I assume means its pretty out of balance. At delivery, I got 191-193 miles @90% and got 213 @100% on a range charge that very first week. Since then, I have seen 90% drop to 178-180 and 199 @100%. I recently started charing back to 90% and did a range charge recently which only got to 199.

199 @100% Rated
179 @90% Rated
5 Range charges (213 -> 211 -> 207 -> 204 -> 199)
7200 mi / 4 months
60 kWh

Reporting in some stats:
1yr, 9 months old, 24k miles, 60kWh "A" pack
100% rated range = 198 miles, range mode off
90% = 178 miles
ver 6.0

I generally charge to 90% and have a 16 mile round trip commute with 400ft up and 800ft down on the way to work.
Road trips are through superchargers (tahoe, LA) and have max charged about 15-20 times.

My stats are very similar for my 60 kWh: 1 year, 9 months, 24.5k miles; 90% SOC - 176 or 177, range mode off; I haven't done a 100% charge since late August and was at 198 rated then; ver 6.0. My numbers have been very constant over the past several thousand miles and months.

- - - Updated - - -

Reporting my stats:

1 year and 6 months, 60 kWh A pack
80% (150 miles vs 166 miles original)...
ver 6.0
Major drop in range happened after V5.6 and is constantly dropping. I range charge very rarely. And when I do, I don't see all the miles coming back but I see the strange behavior of charging continuing long after the estimate and mikles being capped. When I drive, the miles are not coming down right away but only after a few miles.

Tesla needs to fix this. This is freaking out all of us. One of the many things the Service Center will check on Thursday for me.

Try charging to 90% consistently for a month and see if your numbers improve. I don't think your numbers are that much different than other 60 owners. Who is the "us" that is freaking out? Seems like a lot of 60 owners are reporting very similar numbers and that the numbers seem to be in a narrow range for those of us charging regularly to 90% SOC.

Last edited:
You guys are making me want my original 60kW pack back :( My replacement pack is not holding up nearly as well. Damn contactor going out......
34,000 miles and 1 year 2 months on my original pack I was still yielding 204+ miles easily on 100% rated, and 184+ on 90%
My replacement pack has 6,000 miles on it, and started at 211 when installed, at 2,500 miles it was down to 205ish and hovering around that point. my 90% charge on my replacement pack is still about 181-184.

My original pack had 150+ range/100% charges done. ~3x/week for 100%, though never left sitting at 100%, always used within 1 hour of charge completion.