Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreasing rated range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pre-6.1, I averaged 229-231 miles (rated range) at 90% and 252-254 at 100%.
Immediately after installing 6.1 (2.2.113), my first four charges yielded 242 (90%), 256 (100%), 230 (90%), and 230 (90%) - settling back to my prior averages quickly.

Today I installed a 6.1 update (2.2.115) - and immediateky after the update my rated range jumped by 15 rated miles (from 205 to 220).

I have 19k miles on my A battery.

Pre-6.1, I averaged 229-231 miles (rated range) at 90% and 252-254 at 100%.
Immediately after installing 6.1 (2.2.113), my first four charges yielded 242 (90%), 256 (100%), 230 (90%), and 230 (90%) - settling back to my prior averages quickly.

Today I installed a 6.1 update (2.2.115) - and immediateky after the update my rated range jumped by 15 rated miles (from 205 to 220).

I have 19k miles on my A battery.

Exact opposite for me and my A-pack. No difference in Rated Miles at all. I reported this many times before... most recently the other day when I got 6.1 (2.2.113). Last night I got 2.2.115 and this morning my 90% charge was exactly the same as it was before at 217 miles. I have about 41,000 miles on the car.

So why do I never see this? I have an A-pack and about 41,000 miles in case that matters. As posted above I see zero change over these firmware updates. Really curious to know why this is. I have also never seen the snowflake icon/blue bar on my power meter either even though the car may have sat unplugged at near 0 F for 8+ hours. I will have a Re-Gen Disabled message and a Power Limit line, but no snowflake. It's not a problem for me as far as I can tell, but what could possibly be different with my car???

I've also never seen a range bump since the early 5.x releases. There was a 5.x release, I believe, which did bump up the range a bit for everyone. But since then, nada for me.

Yes you posted it many times before. If you repost it each time someone posts contrary you will be busy. Earmark this for snappiness, I don't mind.

No worries. I simply post my experiences to further the body of knowledge on these cars and to possibly find out why things seem to work differently for different people. I have seen a few others jump in and say they've experienced no range bump either. There must be some reason for it. The first time I do see a range bump when my firmware is updated, I'll be sure to post that too :smile:

I have about 36,000 miles on my S and I've seen some pretty significant range reduction. Is this normal? I'm trying to attach a photo from this week.

Tuesday - 222 @ 90%
Wednesday - 218 @ 90%
Thursday - 215 @ 90%
Friday - 215 @ 90%

2j161br.png

I have about 36,000 miles on my S and I've seen some pretty significant range reduction. Is this normal? I'm trying to attach a photo from this week.

Tuesday - 222 @ 90%
Wednesday - 218 @ 90%
Thursday - 215 @ 90%
Friday - 215 @ 90%
I have 27k miles and 222 @90% is what I get also.

did you drive it at all those days? If it sits day after day at 90%, I've noticed sometimes it seems to skips a charge if the battery isn't drained far enough.. not sure what the threshold is... Also of note, there is a bug in v6.1 which causes slacker to start playing tunes when the car is supposed to be asleep.. could it be that it did that for a while and drained some juice from your battery? I'd drive it down to less than 100 miles rated or so and then charge back to 90% and see what you get.

I am at 36,000 miles on an "A" battery and my 90% charge is 225 miles rated range. I have not done a full range charge since last summer. After charging the number is consistent, but once driving it varies. Sometimes the rated range will drop 10 miles in the first 3 miles of driving. I am not sure how much is due to degradation and how much is the algorithm since it has been a while since doing a range charge.

I am at 36,000 miles on an "A" battery and my 90% charge is 225 miles rated range. I have not done a full range charge since last summer. After charging the number is consistent, but once driving it varies. Sometimes the rated range will drop 10 miles in the first 3 miles of driving. I am not sure how much is due to degradation and how much is the algorithm since it has been a while since doing a range charge.

The sudden range change you see is a good indication that the number of rated miles is based on a computer model and is synced on the fly as you drive. Lots of factors play into the usable capacity. Some of these factors change as you drive. I have seen it both ways. I have seen it drop 3 or more miles within a short distance driven and I have seen it stay or only drop very little while driving many more miles. Usable capacity depends a lot on how aggressive you drive and temperature. And it might well be that from the moment when charging is finished to when you actually drive the car, things change. So the rated range display is really a good guess, not an actual measurement.

Last few firmware updates, I've had the phenomena where - at first - my rated range at whatever % is proportional to 265 @ 100%. Then, it has slipped down after a few charges and some trips. Usually to full charge ~251.

However, with 6.1, which I've now had about a month, I've had multiple trips, daily charges, a couple of range charges, a couple of "calibration" runs down to <25%. And, it hasn't gone down. Range charge last weekend was 265, and every intermediate charge is still proportional to ~265.

If anything, I'm also seeing slightly better WH/MI than I have previously gotten in same conditions. Is that improved driving habits? Bad memory? Who knows. At any rate, I'm not seeing anything to indicate the increased rated range is at expense of reduced WH/MI bogey.

So, who the heck knows. Clearly they continue to mess with the algorithm. Is it better or worse? I don't have the tools to tell... maybe will request a full diagnostic next time at Service Center. Though I understand they are wont to share any details beyond "your battery is within spec".

Last few firmware updates, I've had the phenomena where - at first - my rated range at whatever % is proportional to 265 @ 100%. Then, it has slipped down after a few charges and some trips. Usually to full charge ~251.

However, with 6.1, which I've now had about a month, I've had multiple trips, daily charges, a couple of range charges, a couple of "calibration" runs down to <25%. And, it hasn't gone down. Range charge last weekend was 265, and every intermediate charge is still proportional to ~265.
Matches my experience.

Tried another Range Charge yesterday. This time using the 80 amp charger at work. I am on the .140 flavor of v6.1 firmware, which had been updated at the Service Center from .116 the day before. Once again, I cannot seem to get it to "finish". This is after several hours of "1 minute remaining". I even stayed an extra hour at work to see if it would complete, but it didn't so I just unplugged and left. As soon as I pulled out, the range started to drop. Nothing had changed for me once again over a firmware update.

I did ask Service to check and advise on my battery status and they reported back that all is "normal" and the degradation I am seeing is also normal and expected for a two year old car with 42,000 miles.

IMG_0189.PNG

32 amps is an awfully high current draw at circa 100%. Mine is usually down to <10 amps after 99%.

There could have been some pack heating running (not cabin heat). Temps were really cold at a bit below 0 F all day, but yes I was getting worried at that much current going in to an apparently "full" battery for so long.

- - - Updated - - -

You got to do a couple of full charges and give it lots of time to finish.. Your battery is out of balance.
My guess is that you routinely charge to less than 90% and haven't done a range charge for ages

I actually charge to 90% daily and tried a Range Charge a couple of weeks ago with the same result of it never finishing. Can you define "lots of time to finish"? I thought a couple of hours at the 1 minute remaining mark was "lots" but I guess I could be wrong.