Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet that percentage wise, all these luxury brands experience less complaints and service calls regarding panel gaps, trim issues, and wind noise/highway noise, creaks/and rattles compared to Tesla though.

If I spent $80k on a vehicle, it better be great build quality, and have excellent QC.

I guess what's leaving a sour taste in the mouth is that it is clear that Tesla IMO is nickel and diming everything- it costs probably several extra dollars to make the cup holders not feel flimsy, or the carpets better, but yet, choose to make them as cheaply as possible. It doesn't cost much to add back USS, which was working well as parking sensors and for the FWD or a front bumper camera, but they choose not to because they want to cut costs, even if it only cost them a hundred or two.
Nickle and dime you say.....

But yet people find it acceptable that BMW, MB, Porsche as such luxurious and experienced car builders get to charge for heated seats/wheels, sunroofs, stitching colors, basic driver aid functions, etc. for example in $80k models in 2023. But as long as you can rub yourself on those sexy plush mats though.... 🙄

Last edited:
I bet that percentage wise, all these luxury brands experience less complaints and service calls regarding panel gaps, trim issues, and wind noise/highway noise, creaks/and rattles compared to Tesla though.

If I spent $80k on a vehicle, it better be great build quality, and have excellent QC.

I guess what's leaving a sour taste in the mouth is that it is clear that Tesla IMO is nickel and diming everything- it costs probably several extra dollars to make the cup holders not feel flimsy, or the carpets better, but yet, choose to make them as cheaply as possible. It doesn't cost much to add back USS, which was working well as parking sensors and for the FWD or a front bumper camera, but they choose not to because they want to cut costs, even if it only cost them a hundred or two.
My parents bought a 2023 Porsche Macan S. The base price was something stupid like $70k,, but with all the “options” (which on Lexus, BMW,, shocker, even Tesla most of them would come standard) which raised the actual sticker to close to $85k.

It’s a great car, and I can definitely feel the difference when driving it,, but I almost killed myself on the highway trying to turn the heated seats on, because the entire damn front panel is comprised of smooth touch sensitive buttons,, and there is no feedback, nor nubs to figure it out.

Tesla may nickel and dime by doing stupid cutbacks,, but you know what? They do stand by most of their warranty issues if you develop a good relationship with your SC. Also,, the 64 software updates that my 3 has received since June of 2020 (FSD Beta since Oct 2021) far outcry the 1 software update my 2017 Lexus received. Out of those 64 updates, only one made the car non driveable, and that was the 2nd beta release, which they fixed within a day.

I’m not a Tesla fanboy, but, even with some of their cutbacks, you also at a point have to realize that you’re paying for more of the technology (battery, AND driving tech) vs luxury in a Tesla. You have to place some sort of trade off value on the ease of charging that Tesla has, or the ability to fix issues on the fly via a software update without ever stepping foot into a dealer, or the fact that a good 70% of warranty fixes can be done from your own driveway or office parking lot.

My X will be my 3rd Tesla, and after taking it on an overnight test drive,, even if this will be my first model without USS, the X still felt exactly like my Lexus inside,, the seats were far more comfortable than my 3/Y, and the Lexus F sport seats were by far some of the most comfortable car seats i’ve ever driven in. It was quieter, still not lexus quiet for road noise, but whatever, and the interior felt just as plush, but I know down the road, in 3 years, my actual day to day experience of driving the car won‘t change, but, my experience of operating the car with the latest features/technology/whatever will, and at the end of the day, no other OEM can match Tesla’s agility in that department yet.

Last edited:

I waited over a year for a broken driver seat on a Porsche Cayenne. My experience at my SC has been a million times better. Everyone's experience is going to be different. As far as vision vs USS, they're using vision to train their robot. That became clear to me in their most recent video on it. Not defending the decision because I love USS but they're not putting USS on their robot lol

I waited over a year for a broken driver seat on a Porsche Cayenne. My experience at my SC has been a million times better. Everyone's experience is going to be different. As far as vision vs USS, they're using vision to train their robot. That became clear to me in their most recent video on it. Not defending the decision because I love USS but they're not putting USS on their robot lol
Yeah I hope they do a better job without USS, but my test drive of the Model X showed that Tesla Vision definitely needs a lot more improvement. I was being warned of obstacles too early when parking. It would say stop when the vehicle was three feet away from the object.

Yeah I hope they do a better job without USS, but my test drive of the Model X showed that Tesla Vision definitely needs a lot more improvement. I was being warned of obstacles too early when parking. It would say stop when the vehicle was three feet away from the object.
Yeah I honestly don't know. I think it will improve over time but I just don't know how long it will take. Hopefully less than another year. Maybe it will pickup once the CT releases. I know it's frustrating but we are pretty much beta testers for the tech when it releases. That could be good or bad depending on who you are.

The other thing I thought about. Our Cayenne had a terribly horrid brake/suspension moan every so often. It was super loud and embarrassing. I took it into service and they claimed it was normal and within spec. They claimed the high performance brakes cause it. If that's the case why had I not heard it or seen other people talk about it on the 718 or 911? According to my research online, it's fairly common and has been so for years on the Cayenne and Porsche refuses to fix it. Trust me when I say it sounds the opposite of "luxury" and no $95k car should sound like that when driving through a Starbucks. Other than that and the seat issue car was all good, but im pretty glad to be rid of it, plus I didn't want to pay for out of warranty Porsche parts.

Yeah I honestly don't know. I think it will improve over time but I just don't know how long it will take. Hopefully less than another year. Maybe it will pickup once the CT releases. I know it's frustrating but we are pretty much beta testers for the tech when it releases. That could be good or bad depending on who you are.

The other thing I thought about. Our Cayenne had a terribly horrid brake/suspension moan every so often. It was super loud and embarrassing. I took it into service and they claimed it was normal and within spec. They claimed the high performance brakes cause it. If that's the case why had I not heard it or seen other people talk about it on the 718 or 911? According to my research online, it's fairly common and has been so for years on the Cayenne and Porsche refuses to fix it. Trust me when I say it sounds the opposite of "luxury" and no $95k car should sound like that when driving through a Starbucks. Other than that and the seat issue car was all good, but im pretty glad to be rid of it, plus I didn't want to pay for out of warranty Porsche parts.
Yeah I get it. My complaints with Tesla really are the build quality and cheap feeling internal parts. I was also checking on how thin those A pillar interior covers were on my Model Y, compared to my Acura MDX and there was a stark difference.

Maybe I had good luck with my MDX, but the only issue so far with my Model Y was that on delivery, there was a small dent in the rear right quarter panel probably on the door and loud wind noise on the highway from the right rear passenger door.

Also, I don't see why Tesla cannot put armrests on the 6 seater version of the Model X? Kind of makes no sense to me there.

Ordered Date: 9/3
Build: MXLR | Midnight Silver | Black Int | 5 seats | steering wheel | 20" wheels
EDD: Sept-Oct
EDD2: Oct-Nov
EDD3: Oct 2 - Nov 6

Pickup Location: Plano, TX
VIN: TBD
Just got pushed out further, won’t be making Q-end

Ordered Date: 9/3
Build: MXLR | Midnight Silver | Black Int | 5 seats | steering wheel | 20" wheels
EDD: Sept-Oct
EDD2: Oct-Nov
EDD3: Oct 2 - Nov 6
EDD4: Oct 19 - Nov 30

Pickup Location: Plano, TX
VIN: TBD

The other luxury brands like BMW, MB do experience higher complaints regarding reliability issues with their engine, infotainment etc . The redesigned X7 has been plagued with drivetrain and brake booster issues.
Agree. A family member runs an auto repair business and hates working on MB. They never think about repairability. He mentioned the instructions on a fuel pump replacement started with "remove rear seat, located feed line, cut a hole in sheet metal ..."

Yeah I get it. My complaints with Tesla really are the build quality and cheap feeling internal parts. I was also checking on how thin those A pillar interior covers were on my Model Y, compared to my Acura MDX and there was a stark difference.

Maybe I had good luck with my MDX, but the only issue so far with my Model Y was that on delivery, there was a small dent in the rear right quarter panel probably on the door and loud wind noise on the highway from the right rear passenger door.

Also, I don't see why Tesla cannot put armrests on the 6 seater version of the Model X? Kind of makes no sense to me there.
Not having captain's chairs with arms has been a complaint on the 6 seat X since day one. I don't think they are going to change.

For me, having owned an original Model X with three powered adjustable pedestal seats in the second row, the bench seating second row of the newer ones are a huge letdown. The middle seat is not even adult appropriate. (Yes, I understand the 6-seat config also has powered adjustable, fuller seats. But, that’s not part of the $80K deal and I need 3 across in the second).