Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the new Tesla incentive announced yesterday, I’m assuming the only MX that qualifies for the federal tax credit is still the base model with the default gray and black interior because it’s based on the MSRP of the vehicle correct? Or is Tesla somehow able to qualify MXs with upgraded colors and interiors and still subtract the federal tax credit at POS?
Since the MSRP would be higher, it wouldn’t qualify. There is a banner on inventory cars that do qualify.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
If you are talking about the email some of us got for free upgrade of color or interior it’s hard to say since it says the cost of the paint or interior will be waived, technically the mark is the same but it’s discounted at the end. Not sure how that works with the tax credit.
Hmm I received an email that I could take another available X but no mention of a discount etc.

Hmm I received an email that I could take another available X but no mention of a discount etc.
It looks like this IMG_0317.jpeg

If you are talking about the email some of us got for free upgrade of color or interior it’s hard to say since it says the cost of the paint or interior will be waived, technically the mark is the same but it’s discounted at the end. Not sure how that works with the tax credit.
I talked to someone at Tesla corporate and my local store, MSRP is still the same for other colors, they just discount the $1,000 or $1,500 off, so it wouldn’t qualify still.

Took delivery of my MX today. Build was 3/24-- No apparent camera or RGB lighting. The build quality is superb. Driving this versus my 2017 MX is a different world. Like the color though it shows more dirt. I live on a 2-mile dirt road complete with washboards. ruts, and potholes. Car solid as a rock. Acceleration exceptional. The feel of the road very solid--drives much more sporty. Stalkless will take some terracing of muscle memory. I'm finding my use of voice commands much greater. All the cameras, Screens, and responsiveness MUCH quicker and b=higher res. I had upgraded to HW 3.0 and MCU 2, but this is another level. I was surprised that there was a distance warning in the garage. Front camera calculated distance pretty closely. All in all I'm thrilled. This is like computers--always changes after you buy no matter when. BUT Tesla does a much better job than most companies in retro fitting as much as they can. My 2017 was quite advanced over whenI bought it 7+ years ago. BTW--FSD and USCharging applied immediately. Very happy camper. BTW my 2017 MX sticker www $118.000 this much better car was 72K-- that is quite a difference for a much better car.

Took delivery of my MX today. Build was 3/24-- No apparent camera or RGB lighting. The build quality is superb. Driving this versus my 2017 MX is a different world. Like the color though it shows more dirt. I live on a 2-mile dirt road complete with washboards. ruts, and potholes. Car solid as a rock. Acceleration exceptional. The feel of the road very solid--drives much more sporty. Stalkless will take some terracing of muscle memory. I'm finding my use of voice commands much greater. All the cameras, Screens, and responsiveness MUCH quicker and b=higher res. I had upgraded to HW 3.0 and MCU 2, but this is another level. I was surprised that there was a distance warning in the garage. Front camera calculated distance pretty closely. All in all I'm thrilled. This is like computers--always changes after you buy no matter when. BUT Tesla does a much better job than most companies in retro fitting as much as they can. My 2017 was quite advanced over whenI bought it 7+ years ago. BTW--FSD and USCharging applied immediately. Very happy camper. BTW my 2017 MX sticker www $118.000 this much better car was 72K-- that is quite a difference for a much better car.
Congrats! Post some pics of the Stealth Grey! I got the “tax edition” too and patiently waiting until March 21-28 for delivery.

After reading your post and seeing the pics of Mr Dmitry’s stealth grey, i’ve decided i’ll probably just accept my Model X whenever it’s ready and not cancel if the lighting/front bumper cam isn’t ready yet. I don’t want to wait. ;)

Multiple positive posts about the good build quality coming out this quarter is heartening to hear.

Did you mean 2/24?

After reading your post and seeing the pics of Mr Dmitry’s stealth grey, i’ve decided i’ll probably just accept my Model X whenever it’s ready and not cancel if the lighting/front bumper cam isn’t ready yet. I don’t want to wait. ;)
It's a matter of choice and priorities. I'll use FSD and Superchargers frequently and there was time window on getting them transferred. It is possible Tesla will offer the incentive again, but nothing guaranteed. I struck while the iron was hot. But holding out is a choice if you are not needing tp beat the 3/31 window. My reasoning was that the ambient lighting will probable get old/sated and really does not do anything useful. The front camera seems like an easy add if the posts regarding pre-wiring are accurate. I'm not sure what I would do if the FSD and Unlimited free SC-ing were not in play. BTW my 2017 MX was of a high-maintenance cycle and warranty vanishing soon--so timing was perfect for me.

Reactions: brouck
It's a matter of choice and priorities. I'll use FSD and Superchargers frequently and there was time window on getting them transferred. It is possible Tesla will offer the incentive again, but nothing guaranteed. I struck while the iron was hot. But holding out is a choice if you are not needing tp beat the 3/31 window. My reasoning was that the ambient lighting will probable get old/sated and really does not do anything useful. The front camera seems like an easy add if the posts regarding pre-wiring are accurate. I'm not sure what I would do if the FSD and Unlimited free SC-ing were not in play. BTW my 2017 MX was of a high-maintenance cycle and warranty vanishing soon--so timing was perfect for me.
Good call. We have RGB lighting on the wife’s RX350 and her prior Audi. It’s on the dash and door panels. It’s a cool feature for about 5 minutes and then you forget all about it. Bells/whistles.

Kinda of, not really, lol. The recent yolk with the horn in it to replace older, malfunctioning yolks, they also retrofit MCU2 computers for folks who wanted to upgrade their older, slower, MCU1 computers. They have also replaced older door handles with newer revisions with different wiring. I’m sure there’s more but I don’t know if anything was as involved as the camera and lighting would be but I suppose if it ended up being not terribly difficult or time consuming for the service center and they could turn a big profit doing it, they might, especially if it turns out features like the new summon and auto park won’t work without it, then people would pay top dollar to upgrade so they would be able to do these things.
If I remember right, the older Model 3 and Y had a retrofit offered to convert from the regular cabin air filter (and filter box/plumbing) to the HEPA one for a fee.

Ha! I had a feeling this was BS from the start! For those of us that have dealt with Tesla know that they keep a very tight lid on stuff. They also rarely proactively call customers. I have a hard time even believing that Tesla "corporate" would even call to apologize...the only believable part is the $250 refund because that's the most Tesla would ever do!

Ha! I had a feeling this was BS from the start! For those of us that have dealt with Tesla know that they keep a very tight lid on stuff. They also rarely proactively call customers. I have a hard time even believing that Tesla "corporate" would even call to apologize...the only believable part is the $250 refund because that's the most Tesla would ever do!
Wait, so Tesla both "confirmed Tesla Model X & S are NOT being produced with camera and lighting as of right now" AND they "have no statement on the situation"? I think this guy is just FOS, and looking for attention.

Even Teslascope stated "STARTING RIGHT NOW, Model S and X are being produced with it", and then later weaseled out of it saying "thats not what i meant, I meant that the changes could start any time from that point" which is BS. I know if I had inside information I was confident of, I'd just wait until its proven then reply back to the doubters with an "i told you so", not get so defensive as he has done in the comments here.

Wait, so Tesla both "confirmed Tesla Model X & S are NOT being produced with camera and lighting as of right now" AND they "have no statement on the situation"? I think this guy is just FOS, and looking for attention.

Even Teslascope stated "STARTING RIGHT NOW, Model S and X are being produced with it", and then later weaseled out of it saying "thats not what i meant, I meant that the changes could start any time from that point" which is BS. I know if I had inside information I was confident of, I'd just wait until its proven then reply back to the doubters with an "i told you so", not get so defensive as he has done in the comments here.
Too be honest I'm the one that feels like a fool. I could've had my MX last Thursday, but I was like let me wait it out and see if this is true. Now I have to wait until the end of the month.