Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery chaos continues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all the conversations over the past week, I with I woke up this morning to a Final Invoice (including assigned VIN) in my Tesla Account page. That is 3 weeks sooner than I was told I would recieve it 2 days ago (was told early August). Incidently, I also got the sign off on my Scottish Resident zero interet loan yesterday as well... :)

Anyone else wake up to that today?

No delivery date though other than the estimated "second half of Aug"

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: RjbT3 and dst87
Very excited for you! What was the timeline like on the Scottish loan? We’ve applied and heard someone say that they got it approved on the 15th working day, just on the edge of the estimate.

We’re only 10 working days in just now, so time to go I suppose.

Yesterday would have been the 13th working day for me.. its a weird process as you don't hear anything from them throughthe process other than a thumbs up or down. I also haven't yet receved a formal notification I was approved, but if I log into the EST site the status changed to "loan approved" yesterday. The statuses went from "credit being checked" to "application being checked" to "loan approved" over the past 3 days.

I have a colleage who did it last year for a e-golf and it took him much longer, but that is because his dealership wouldn't issue him with a booking invoice on headed paper.

• Informative
Reactions: alexp2 and dst87
Those of us, like me, who are new to Tesla and new to this forum are, I think, shocked at how utterly inefficient Tesla's back office operation is. Those who have been familiar with Tesla for years seem to have been ground down into recognising it as normal and even almost acceptable.

We're into the second half of July and the website is still indicating August delivery. As an experiment I've just phoned three Service Centres (I won't name and shame), told them that I'm interested in the M3 and is it true, as the website indicates, that I'll get the car in August? The first bloke I spoke to said there was no chance of August, and delivery would be in September or more likely October. The second bloke said there is a huge backlog of UK orders and if I was lucky I'd get the car by the end of the year. The third bloke said there are two vehicle carriers coming over in the next few weeks with zillions of M3s, and if the website says August then I'll get a car in August.

The most amusing thing is that none of them said "I'm not sure but . . . .". They all spoke with absolute certainty as if they knew exactly what they were talking about. Which, of course, they don't. Or, at best, one is right and two are wrong!

Those of us, like me, who are new to Tesla and new to this forum are, I think, shocked at how utterly inefficient Tesla's back office operation is. Those who have been familiar with Tesla for years seem to have been ground down into recognising it as normal and even almost acceptable.

We're into the second half of July and the website is still indicating August delivery. As an experiment I've just phoned three Service Centres (I won't name and shame), told them that I'm interested in the M3 and is it true, as the website indicates, that I'll get the car in August? The first bloke I spoke to said there was no chance of August, and delivery would be in September or more likely October. The second bloke said there is a huge backlog of UK orders and if I was lucky I'd get the car by the end of the year. The third bloke said there are two vehicle carriers coming over in the next few weeks with zillions of M3s, and if the website says August then I'll get a car in August.

The most amusing thing is that none of them said "I'm not sure but . . . .". They all spoke with absolute certainty as if they knew exactly what they were talking about. Which, of course, they don't. Or, at best, one is right and two are wrong!

How long did you have to wait till you got to someone?

Yes Tesla is rubbish at communication. I haven't come across anyone who thinks this is acceptable, but you do have to live with it or look elsewhere.

The chaos of initial M3 delivery was totally predictable given the sheer number of orders and then the subsequent price and spec changes. Anyone who thought it would be easy getting into an early M3 must have been pretty naive given the demand and obvious strain on Tesla uk resources. I placed my M3 order (reservation and current owner priority too) thinking it might not turn up before the end of the year. Now looks like I might get one in September (not holding my breath though). Top tip: totally ignore website delivery estimates and make the assumption that none of the uk sales staff know any more than what is discussed on these forums and quite probably less! Some of the delivery team would know a little more, but often not until the last minute. It's only worth getting excited once the delivery team start actively chasing you.

• Disagree
Reactions: RjbT3
Top tip: totally ignore website delivery estimates and make the assumption that none of the uk sales staff know any more than what is discussed on these forums and quite probably less! Some of the delivery team would know a little more, but often not until the last minute.
Agree, over the phone I was supposed to have an early July delivery ;-) but i dont see that happening before late Aug ...and that assumes I dont change anything in the meantime, especially after these new changes and dis-continuance of the P- etc..
As you say I dont see this getting better before the backlog is caught up...

Agree, over the phone I was supposed to have an early July delivery ;-) but i dont see that happening before late Aug ...and that assumes I dont change anything in the meantime, especially after these new changes and dis-continuance of the P- etc..
As you say I dont see this getting better before the backlog is caught up...

Yeah, I've changed my order several times now purely because of the price/spec changes. First I was forced to switch to a black interior to get the first P+ price drop when the white interior was temporarily deleted. Then when the white interior option came back I switched back. Then when P- became an option I switched to that to save another £3,700. Now I've just gone back to my original P+ spec which is now £900 cheaper than the white P- I previously ordered! It's a complete and utter shambles, but at least it's getting cheaper with every change! I'm wondering what change is coming next? I'm going to put money on the P- option again, a 19" wheel option again and possibly a towbar option for P-

Reactions: -DB-
At the current rate of change of price drops at +- 7k in 2 months model 3 will be completely free in 14 months, September 2020

They will have stopped selling them by then because every car will be needed for the promised robotaxis and FSD upgrades will cost £100K. Two years later no-one will be allowed to use a self-drive car, the automotive industry will collapse and anyone not bowing down before the great and glorious Musk will have to pull a rickshaw. The displaced unemployed will all work inside giant hamster wheels generating power in exchange for soup. Your delivery date will finally be announced but without a guarantee.

Those who have been familiar with Tesla for years seem to have been ground down into recognising it as normal and even almost acceptable.

I disagree with you in the sense that old timers don't consider it acceptable or normal. I do find it surprising that newcomers keep saying that existing users say that it is acceptable, I'm not aware of existing owners who do. But for sure it is what it is.

But it has been like this for years. There is an outside chance that Tesla have no idea that it is bad ... personally I think the chance of that is zero.

So: Tesla know, and have not fixed it. It is possible they are working on a big computer system replacement which will fix it ... and of course that could arrive tomorrow ... or next year.

Plenty of Model-3 owners ranted here continuously that it was unacceptable. Whilst no argument from me on that point, so what?

By all means complain to Tesla. I am confident you will be one of many, but hopefully adding to the weight causing management to do something about it. But unless there happens to be a fix coming imminently (and it hasn't appeared in the 3 years I have owned mine) then you've got two choices:

Put up with it
Go elsewhere

No other suggestion I can make. This forum is jam-packed with endless chatter about presence/absence of VIN number hidden in the source code of the web page. Why? because there is no other source of information to give any indication of what delivery date might be.

People are making crowd-sourcing spreadsheets of order data looking for some statistical analysis that will reveal some useful nuggets. I think that's a great effort ... and now Tesla have changed the model-lineup ... again ... to confuse the Data Mining :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no difficulty with this, but I'm not sure it adds any worthwhile data to the process, but I do understand that in the absence of any useful COMMs out of Tesla then something ... anything? ... becomes the alternative

If Tesla just said to you "You car will arrive on 99-MMM-2019 at 10:30AM" everyone would at least know and could plan. But Tesla don't do that (no I have no idea why, and I understand the frustration, and inability to plan selling existing car / etc.) Heck, it even causes resentment that someone who is perceived as being lower down the queue has got, or appears that they might get, a car sooner. Heck-2 I got an M3 in the first delivery batch and I am not a reservation holder. I have no idea why I was allocated (but I can guess: Unpopular colour & model, chose Heathrow, existing owner [which Tesla has always prioritised - the one thing about owners is that they expect to have to sit tight ...])

Perhaps all this is deliberate by Tesla? (I may be giving them too much credit!) It is creating lots of column-inches of content ...

The text we all seem to have got essentially said you won't get your car before the 1st August. At least this is an accurate estimate because even delivery in 2020 would be after this date.

As a new release, it would have helped if they had released the car in another country to iron out the production/delivery process, got potential customers to place a reservation deposit and have an online ordering system so they can identify the demand.

But of course, they had all of this and yet gave delivery estimates they must have known to be wrong and months after placing an order are still unable to give any delivery estimate other than after 31 July. Order a car today, the delivery estimate is August, potential customers really should be advised not to trust Tesla's communications.

With changes to prices and models, you have to feel for the UK Tesla team who must be swapped with calls and emails from the thousands of unhappy customers.

Lots of speculation, but the chaos continues.

Reactions: RamsfanJim
But it has been like this for years. There is an outside chance that Tesla have no idea that it is bad ... personally I think the chance of that is zero.

But unless there happens to be a fix coming imminently (and it hasn't appeared in the 3 years I have owned mine) then you've got two choices:

Put up with it
Go elsewhere

No other suggestion I can make.

I think we all agree, we have two choices. I consider what I have read/seen it is an amazing car and will be delivered a lot quicker than almost every other car. Plus the Supercharger network, this is the benchmark others are trying badly to aspire.

But had I known this when I ordered the car, I would be happy now. I would have known the delivery estimate was unrealistic, the phone call I got from Tesla to say congrats, can you pick your car up in a few weeks was a "gotcha, just kidding". When they told me that there were cars being loaded on a ship in an email, what they meant was that was only in their imagination etc etc

Tesla is either ignorant of how they are perceived by many thousands of UK customers who reserved cars, has no idea how to fix or just does not care. I suppose when you have a world-class product, you can treat customers like that.

So the issue is, do we raise awareness so that potential customers can prepare themselves or do we try and cover up the chaos?

So the issue is, do we raise awareness so that potential customers can prepare themselves or do we try and cover up the chaos?

Is 12 pages and other multiple threads not enough awareness yet? That and the obvious demand backlog after waiting 3 years for uk launch. Only someone newly arrived from Mars would be unaware of the delivery situation at present.

• Disagree
Is 12 pages and other multiple threads not enough awareness yet? That and the obvious demand backlog after waiting 3 years for uk launch. Only someone newly arrived from Mars would be unaware of the delivery situation at present.
Erm, I think you'll find only a minuscule percentage of potential Tesla owners read this- or any - Tesla forum. I have a reservation for 3.5 years, and only seen this forum in the part few months. 99% of potential owners will have no clue about Tesla customer service. They will have seen the press, the reviews, the hype and will go on to the website and see August delivery - and place an order. In think it is our duty as Tesla supporters to correct the misinformation and prevent more disappointed customers.

Assuming Tesla only wants to sell to fans and members of this site, then I agree with you. But I suspect their ambitions are a little broader.