TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Diagnostic Port Index

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Krash, Sep 23, 2017.

1. SilverSp33d3r

SilverSp33d3r Member

Enough to build a new cable? If so how much?

- in Socal

2. petersv

petersv Member

I have the plug and pins. I'm in Norway, so will be around 25 USD shipped. This is cost price of parts plus s&h.

3. JWardell

JWardell Member

Hi folks.
    Recently discovered the Model-S style diagnostic port in Model 3 and I'm actively attempting to decode powertrain CAN messages.
    I could use some help with data or even opinions and ideas looking at graphs.
    If anyone thinks they can help have a look over at the M3OC thread where I am slowly going through the data, starting at this point:
    Diagnostic Port and Data Access

• Like x 4
  4. JWardell

JWardell Member

I have several messages confirmed at this point, but my biggest need is to make a real pass-through harness where I can plug in and pull off the CAN busses. Has anyone found a place that sells both the male and female Sumitomo 6098-5622 plug and socket? I've ordered the smaller connector from Nexelec but they don't stock the 20-pin. There are also two new style adapters mentioned in the first post, but there are no pictures, I assume these are not passthrough but plug in and adapt to OBDII correct?

5. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

6. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

7. JWardell

JWardell Member

Nexus carries the male but not the female. I don't think we've found anywhere to source the female.
    It might also be easier to 3D print something good enough (I don't remember if we can source both genders of pins as well)

8. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

I did not know that Nexus had the male. I guess I will focus on the female variant. They *do* have both genders of pins.

9. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

Took a couple iterations but I finally got a female connector printed that fits pretty well. It is on Thingiverse here and can be ordered from Shapeways here for $12. I have not tested the print from Shapeways yet so you might want to wait a couple weeks until I get my print and check it out. In the image below I printed it on a Peopoly Moai using their clear tough resin.

[​IMG]

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  10. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

11. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

12. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

They guy on eBay seems a bit expensive when the male from Nexus is $2.49. But then I looked at the cost of the pins. There is a minimum for each pin type so it adds up quickly.

upload_2019-1-30_12-32-39.png

13. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

Yeah but if you're like me, you'll need a few extras... ;-)

14. b0n3z

b0n3z Supporting Member

So I placed an order for the following:

upload_2019-1-31_7-36-58.png

I then realized that Nexus Electronics is not that far from me. Digging down the rabbit hole a bit more on the female connector that Nexus doesn't have in stock (part number 6090-5622), I looked back at all the parts on the first page of this thread.

The following link is for the reference of the original parts needed for a Model 3 - Male (6098-5613) and Female (6098-5622).
    https://www.dalroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/SUMCO-1.pdf (look at the 20way on page A-07)
    upload_2019-1-31_7-51-53.png

@Krash mentions the part Sumitomo 6098-5629 (appleguru referenced part). In this link appleguru mentions this:
    "This on the car connector is a Sumitomo TS Series 6098-5629. From what I can tell, the only difference between this and 6098-5613 (which seems more readily available) is the color; the -5629 seems to be blue, while the -5613 is white/natural."

If you look at part with a picture, you will notice that it is also a 20 pin Female connector (not Male).
    6098-5629
    upload_2019-1-31_7-50-28.png

upload_2019-1-31_7-50-53.png

So I looked back on Nexus Electronics for this part... They have it in stock (96 at the time of this post) and minimum purchase quantity is 5. So I'm trying to reach out to Nexus if I can will-call my order (drive is going to suck, but that's what EAP is for) and check this Sumitomo Female part 6090-5629.

My logic:
    I believe there are two Sumitomo companies. These blue parts are made by a US company:
    SEWUS

Where as the the others are made by by a Japenese company:
    Sumitomo Wiring Systems

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. JWardell

JWardell Member

Usually different colors of connectors are keyed differently, but sometimes it's easy to modify the key by cutting some plastic. Worth a try

16. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

bump

• Funny x 1