Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I spoke with the people at gpstrackingamerica. They said their shipping price is high because they primarily sell to businesses and with higher quantities. They ship out of Vegas and Canada but the shipping cost is the same because they use only ship with FedEx, ups, or puralator.

I asked about the 2019 cable and they said it's available now.

I placed and order for a 19 harness. These guys now have $9.99 flat shipping rate. I guess they saw our feedback.

Reactions: scottf200
FYI, these guys claim US (new york), but ship from Canada (according the person chatting me on the chat window) and have crazy shipping prices...

$30 cable and $27 shipping cost! crazy...

Adapter Cables

PLEASE NOTE: We have flat rate shipping of $9.99 and many satisfied clients.

Thanks,
2012-2015 Tesla Model S Adapter – HRN-CT06A1
2015+ Tesla Model S & Tesla Model X Adapter – HRN-CT06A11
2018 Tesla Model 3 Adapter (2018) – HRN-CT20T1
2019-2020 Tesla Model 3 Adapter (2019) – HRN-CT20T11

Last edited:
NOTE: We have flat rate shipping of $9.99 and many satisfied clients.
That is not what I was charged. I was charged $24.54. See below:
RP3962z.jpg

yFxs75I.jpg

That is not what I was charged. I was charged $24.54. See below:
RP3962z.jpg

yFxs75I.jpg

The flat rate $9.99 USPS shipping was introduced after your purchase of 2.Nov. We did not have USPS prior to this time. Faster shipping options, like you received are still available today. You received a faster turnaround shipment than USPS. If you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund. Thanks.

The flat rate $9.99 USPS shipping was introduced after your purchase of 2.Nov. We did not have USPS prior to this time. Faster shipping options, like you received are still available today. You received a faster turnaround shipment than USPS. If you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for a full refund. Thanks.
Thanks for your explanation. We were happy with the product. It was high quality and I recommended it on this and other forums. (P.S. As I recall, the amount on the UPS package I received was for shipping was a lot less than the $24.54 you charged <wink>).

Hello, this is very cool and I want to try it on my car.

Does anyone have a feel of whether there is any risk of voiding the warranty if Tesla finds out this CAN sniffing is being done...? Or upsetting Tesla in another way? What is their general feel on this activity?

Hello, this is very cool and I want to try it on my car.
Does anyone have a feel of whether there is any risk of voiding the warranty if Tesla finds out this CAN sniffing is being done...? Or upsetting Tesla in another way? What is their general feel on this activity?
I've never heard of a problem. I take mine out or just unplug the OBDII adapter and leave the cable and everything there when I take it in for service.

Aside: On our Chevrolet Volts there have been cases where On-Star has trouble communicating with your car when you have an OBDII adapter plugged in. I've had that happen as well and OnStar was able to talk to the car (read error codes) after I unplugged it.

Maybe this isnt the right place to ask but I am wondering who is working on hacking MCU2. It really sucks that we have a car that cannot be serviced by anyone other than Tesla. It sounds like MCU1 has been hacked but not 2. Is someone out there close to cracking it?

So I spoke with the people at gpstrackingamerica. They said their shipping price is high because they primarily sell to businesses and with higher quantities. They ship out of Vegas and Canada but the shipping cost is the same because they use only ship with FedEx, ups, or puralator.

I asked about the 2019 cable and they said it's available now.

I ordered an OBD adapter for my 3 yesterday, and it's apparently shipping out of Toronto even though I'm in California - guess it's not available at their Vegas warehouse.

Has anyone discovered if the OBD2 connector fitted to the Model 3 offers a permanent power supply?

This would then be a clean way of tapping the bus with existing connectors, for example to provide power for dash cams in Parking Mode.

Has anyone discovered if the OBD2 connector fitted to the Model 3 offers a permanent power supply?

This would then be a clean way of tapping the bus with existing connectors, for example to provide power for dash cams in Parking Mode.
The Model 3 doesn't have an OBD port. You have to tap into the main loom at the rear of the centre console with a special cable to be able to plug in an OBD/BT adaptor. You might then be able to take power from that but there are probably less messy ways to get power for a dashcam.

You have to buy a harness to add an OBD port (with CAN but no OBD), and that provides 12v power via the accessory circuit in the console (not permanent).

If you need permanent 12v you might need to research where to tap. The obvious one is the large 12v bolt under the rear seat.

Switched but safe.

Ingineerix
19.5K subscribers

This video shows how to safely get a switched 12 volt line for powering up to 10 amps of accessories in you model 3. It's located on the driver's side under the dash. This output has no other devices on it, and is electronically protected from overcurrent, so it's the safest place to tap 12v for auxiliary use.

I recommend a non-insulated 5mm spade connector, such as these from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2AAKq9P

I tested this for 10A continuous load, and it "trips" at 15A, so as long as your wiring can handle up to a 15A fault current, no fuse is needed. The car can sense a fault much faster than a fuse can blow!

Please see the update for clarification:

Title: Tesla Model 3 - How to safely get 12v for accessories

Reactions: Krash