Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.
Recently discovered the Model-S style diagnostic port in Model 3 and I'm actively attempting to decode powertrain CAN messages.
I could use some help with data or even opinions and ideas looking at graphs.
If anyone thinks they can help have a look over at the M3OC thread where I am slowly going through the data, starting at this point:
Diagnostic Port and Data Access

I have several messages confirmed at this point, but my biggest need is to make a real pass-through harness where I can plug in and pull off the CAN busses. Has anyone found a place that sells both the male and female Sumitomo 6098-5622 plug and socket? I've ordered the smaller connector from Nexelec but they don't stock the 20-pin. There are also two new style adapters mentioned in the first post, but there are no pictures, I assume these are not passthrough but plug in and adapt to OBDII correct?

Wouldn't it be both of these parts and just create a wire harness of your own?

自動車用部品:Sumitomo Wiring Systems, Ltd
自動車用部品:Sumitomo Wiring Systems, Ltd

Let me know if you find a place to source these. I would like to create a wire harness to access this information also.

Nexus carries the male but not the female. I don't think we've found anywhere to source the female.
It might also be easier to 3D print something good enough (I don't remember if we can source both genders of pins as well)

Took a couple iterations but I finally got a female connector printed that fits pretty well. It is on Thingiverse here and can be ordered from Shapeways here for $12. I have not tested the print from Shapeways yet so you might want to wait a couple weeks until I get my print and check it out. In the image below I printed it on a Peopoly Moai using their clear tough resin.

5622_bottom-jpg.21028

So I placed an order for the following:

upload_2019-1-31_7-36-58.png

I then realized that Nexus Electronics is not that far from me. Digging down the rabbit hole a bit more on the female connector that Nexus doesn't have in stock (part number 6090-5622), I looked back at all the parts on the first page of this thread.

The following link is for the reference of the original parts needed for a Model 3 - Male (6098-5613) and Female (6098-5622).
https://www.dalroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/SUMCO-1.pdf (look at the 20way on page A-07)
upload_2019-1-31_7-51-53.png

@Krash mentions the part Sumitomo 6098-5629 (appleguru referenced part). In this link appleguru mentions this:
"This on the car connector is a Sumitomo TS Series 6098-5629. From what I can tell, the only difference between this and 6098-5613 (which seems more readily available) is the color; the -5629 seems to be blue, while the -5613 is white/natural."

If you look at part with a picture, you will notice that it is also a 20 pin Female connector (not Male).
6098-5629
upload_2019-1-31_7-50-28.png

upload_2019-1-31_7-50-53.png

So I looked back on Nexus Electronics for this part... They have it in stock (96 at the time of this post) and minimum purchase quantity is 5. So I'm trying to reach out to Nexus if I can will-call my order (drive is going to suck, but that's what EAP is for) and check this Sumitomo Female part 6090-5629.

My logic:
I believe there are two Sumitomo companies. These blue parts are made by a US company:
SEWUS

Where as the the others are made by by a Japenese company:
Sumitomo Wiring Systems

So I spoke with the people at gpstrackingamerica. They said their shipping price is high because they primarily sell to businesses and with higher quantities. They ship out of Vegas and Canada but the shipping cost is the same because they use only ship with FedEx, ups, or puralator.

I asked about the 2019 cable and they said it's available now.