Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did Tesla make a weirdmobile? Comparison 3 BMW 3 dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are absolutely correct if you just need to get around town. There is absolutely no need to own a car in a major metropolitan area. If on the other hand - you need to travel distances - the super charger network combined with driver assistance and ultimately automated driving is a different altogether. I recall driving from NY to Ohio when my navigation system told me next turn in 450 miles - boy was I excited to be behind the wheel.
This is why AP and Superchargers are lost on me (although I enjoy watching their progression). I wouldn't mind giving up control in stop and go traffic (but not at that price).

I rest my case.

My score sits at 3. I'm counting the 17 more I haven't gotten as a hypothetical. FSDC probably kicks in before I even reach 9. And I have never ever been "that guy" who gets passed on the right side for putzing around in the left lane "at the limit".

There are drivers and there are obstacles. If I had it my power to write the laws, left lane would be passing only.

Reactions: Runt8
The reason for the floating touchscreen is that they wanted to have parts commonality between the left-hand drive and right-hand drive versions (for Australia, the UK and Japan). If the screen was integrated, they would need two versions of the panel that holds the screen. That complicates the production process, part stocks during production and part stocks for repairs. The RHD version duplicates the parts count of lots of parts so they wanted to make sure they eliminated the RHD version differences as much as they could. This also explains why the Model 3 screen is smack bang in the middle and is not angled towards the driver.

kYd3wB4.jpg

The reason for the floating touchscreen is that they wanted to have parts commonality between the left-hand drive and right-hand drive versions (for Australia, the UK and Japan). If the screen was integrated, they would need two versions of the panel that holds the screen. That complicates the production process, part stocks during production and part stocks for repairs. The RHD version duplicates the parts count of lots of parts so they wanted to make sure they eliminated the RHD version differences as much as they could. This also explains why the Model 3 screen is smack bang in the middle and is not angled towards the driver.

That is quite likely one reason (of many) for this. I would say they had many more reasons as well. Cost overall as well, but most importantly pursuit of a simple design philosophy. You don't end up with a Model 3 dashboard without a strong dose of religious determination.

Understanding all that doesn't really help a driver who'd prefer a driver-centric dashboard, though. Understanding why they did it is different from liking it every day you are driving...

The dashboard is just fine. Renault has a dashboard like this since 2002:

renault_10espaceminivan_4b_dashboard_nb-298.jpg

To all who think speed etc. in middle is unpractical; It's actually better than behind the wheel and always visible, not hidden behind the steering wheel, also in the field of view when looking at the street.

I did not find any con about the central display after driving cars with it for about 4 years.

The dashboard is just fine. Renault has a dashboard like this since 2002:

renault_10espaceminivan_4b_dashboard_nb-298.jpg

I keep repeating this, but that is not an apples to apples comparison. A speed on top of the dash, close to the view outside the windshield could be very different from a much more closer to the driver located screen protruding from the dash (as on the Model 3).

I keep repeating this, but that is not an apples to apples comparison. A speed on top of the dash, close to the view outside the windshield could be very different from a much more closer to the driver located screen protruding from the dash (as on the Model 3).

That's true, but I'm 100% sure tesla engineers have figured this out. From looking at the pictures it seems like the top half of the display is the same height as the instrument cluster in the espace, but after all we can only be sure after sitting in the car.
p4010533-1.jpg

It's impossible to be 100% sure from the pictures because of the angles.

Buttons are easier because there are just 1 press for a functionality. With touch screens, sometimes it's 2 or 3 nested menus away which is distracting.

Buttons are also easier to find when not looking.

Case in point: turning on and off seat ventilation in my Audi A8 was super easy. It had its own button that I could find without looking. On the Model S/X, it is tiny icon that you have to keep hitting... no way could I do it without looking and concentrating.

Seat heating another such thing, especially for the rear. In the Audi A8, each passenger simply had a button. On the Tesla I have to press Settings, press Cold Weather and then press the seat... for a rear seat passenger. The same route to heat the wheel, where Audi A8 just had a button on the wheel.

You learn to deal with these, of course, but the reality is an optimal solution would be to have some buttons. For example a few more software assignable hardware buttons for common tasks would be very useful.

That's true, but I'm 100% sure tesla engineers have figured this out. From looking at the pictures it seems like the top half of the display is the same height as the instrument cluster in the espace, but after all we can only be sure after sitting in the car.
p4010533-1.jpg

It's impossible to be 100% sure from the pictures because of the angles.

I am concerned about both how high up the speed is (or more like is it high enough), but also how close to the driver it is - i.e. how big of a difference in adjusting your eyes to it vs. the road one must do. This is actually the potential some central instrument clusters have is that they can be placed higher up on the dash (due to the curvature of the glass)... so they can be sort of semi-HUD-like... But Model 3 is not going that route, instead of being close to the windshield, the speedo (screen) protrudes towards the driver from the dash so further away from the windshield...

I agree it is too early to say anything conclusive. We shall see in time.

Reactions: slipnslider
I think it might be a more difficult sell to the 35+ group, that is conditioned with the "complexity = luxury" mindset. But the younger group has grown up with the iMac "luxury = simple and clean" ethic. They might really buy into what Tesla is doing. And I wonder if Tesla is on the leading edge of a wave.

As a 23 year guy i can assure you, i absolutely love the minimalistic look!

Reactions: LoL Rick and cdub
Can't wait 'til some of you take the Little Mrs. to ride in one of these. And who gives a sh*t whether Tesla has to buy two different pieces of trim to support steering wheels on both sides of the car? Been on a boat lately? Lots of good looking, minimalist dashboards that don't look like this. We even have a friend that strapped an iPad into his golf cart. Looks about the same, maybe better. :eek:

Compare to the interior of the C class.

Buttons are easier because there are just 1 press for a functionality. With touch screens, sometimes it's 2 or 3 nested menus away which is distracting.

[ Waiting for an EV with Tesla's technology and torque with Mercedes's quality interior and features with much faster charging ]

If you don't mind me saying, you really ought to be waiting for the MB EV due soon. Mercedes to unveil electric hatchback concept at Frankfurt | Autocar

Very unlikely Tesla be interested in or try take interior design cues from the current bunch. Their market share however Tesla will be very interested in :)