Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion : All discussion regarding Model 3 and Tax credit in model 3 subforum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would contact Tesla directly or go to one of the dealerships, when you add it to the cart it still charges you the $250 and the $1390 for destination charge. Those should be waived if it's sitting on the lot. It's more than likely just an oversight, give them a shout and see what they say.
You also are not getting destination charged waved, that isnt happening for this or any other car dealer.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
I want a new M3P to take advantage of federal tax credit of $7500 + reduced pricing for in-stock. There a plenty of in-stock here in Florida, making every possible M3 combo available same day, any config.

However... if I want any non-white plus white interior, the MSRP = $55,240
If I want Red with black its also over $55,240.

I am forced to get a black interior, or a white exterior to get msrp under $55,000. With all the price jiggering Elon has been doing, why not a little adjustment to get ALL his M3's eligible for $7500. Its so frustrating. Also, why is tax credit on msrp, not sales (discounted) price?? That is also eff'd.
You can't always get what you want (jagger richards)

Tough question here, what if you qualify for the the CVRP for the $7500 because of low income then you married someone couple of months after. Now do you need to file joint? And due to higher income from both of you, you probably be qualified for the $7500 fed rebate. With this scenario, can you get the full $15k refund?
Yes saw someone on Twitter get their CVRP approved in your exact situation. Federal tax incentive is totally seperate so you can claim both.

Reactions: Michael24
I want a new M3P to take advantage of federal tax credit of $7500 + reduced pricing for in-stock. There a plenty of in-stock here in Florida, making every possible M3 combo available same day, any config.

However... if I want any non-white plus white interior, the MSRP = $55,240
If I want Red with black its also over $55,240.

I am forced to get a black interior, or a white exterior to get msrp under $55,000. With all the price jiggering Elon has been doing, why not a little adjustment to get ALL his M3's eligible for $7500. Its so frustrating. Also, why is tax credit on msrp, not sales (discounted) price?? That is also eff'd.

Lol I was trying to trade in a 2021 red M3P with white interior, but no dealer in East Bay Northern California would touch it. They said the car was tainted because potential future buyers of the used vehicle will think all M3 Performance qualify for the IRA. But informed folks like you and me know the moment someone options a new M3P to be red with a white interior, it no longer qualifies for the IRA.

Since the potential future buyer of the used vehicle won't be as sophisticated around the IRA, the used car showroom simply refuses to touch a 2021 M3P that's red with white interior. Imagine having Carmax, and a dozen new car showrooms tell you that the M3P is untouchable. An optioned M3P is basically a cancerous leper that smells of elderberries when you try to sell it.

Then it would zero out what you owe, so unless you come to the end of the year with $7500 sitting around to pay off what's owed; then no longer owe, the money isn't just appearing.
what.gif

As many of you already know starting in January 24 EV's can be purchased using a $7,500 instat rebate off the price of the car vs a Tax Credit that you take off your Federal taxes at the end of year(providing you have a Tax liability).

So as a Uber driver I write off roughly 40,000 miles a year = $24K and leave myself with a very small Federal Tax liabilty . The currect Tax Credit of upto 47,500 is of essentially no use to me. Now the Tax Rebate of up-to $7,500 the other hand is huge .

I am finding really good deals on the Model 3 new right now at 38K , if it were Jan the price with the Tax Rebate would be $31,500 !!!! So I am really trying to have some patience and wait until Jan.

Here's what I see coming though, Tesla brings out the new upgrade , facelift and some tweaks on the Model 3 and pushed the price back up into the mid $0k and I am screwed again.

Do I purchase now and hope the presuure from the New EV's like the Equinox and Blazer for 2 help keep entry level Model 3 below 40k ? (Equinx base starts at 30k, Entry level Blazer starts ar 40k)
Howdy OneEV, Always great comments and feedback from you on this forum. The Tesla pricing and discount programs change fast and I am sure are related to the market in general. It is very hard to say and I feel for you- I, too am in Minnesota. Since my Model 3 lease is up in a few weeks- July 1- I need another Model 3 right away. Since I already extended for 6 mos the extension option is off the table. The current discounts off the base Model 3 is nice, the $7500 tax rebate is nice- but a long wait! Minnesota has passed a new $2500 incentive but I cannot figure out when this can be applied. Does it cover EV's purchased now in June of '23 or is it not in effect yet? Since you are active here and from MN I thought you may have the right answer - Cheers-

I want to make sure I understand the credit correctly. Let's say I usually get back $1,000 for federal taxes, does that mean I would get back $8,500 now?

Nope. You would still only get $1,000 back.

If you OWE 8500 at tax time, you would only owe $1000 come tax time.

I’ve heard that next year it becomes a “at time of purchase 7500 discount” instead of a tax credit which makes it much easier for most folks.

-Paul

I want to make sure I understand the credit correctly. Let's say I usually get back $1,000 for federal taxes, does that mean I would get back $8,500 now?

Yes this is correct, assuming your tax liability is atleast $7500.

It DOES NOT matter what you owe at the time of tax return. It only matters if your overall tax liability is over $7500. Salaried workers pay taxes throughout the year every paycheck. Business owners may pay only at the time of tax return. None of that matters.

I’ve heard that next year it becomes a “at time of purchase 7500 discount” instead of a tax credit which makes it much easier for most folks.
The time of purchase discount will only be if you meet the criteria as I believe it currently exists, so assuming they would look at your income and see if you would meet the normal criteria that is currently used, then would give you the discount accordingly.