Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you suggesting that further price cut is possible?

I have been critical of Tesla's Pieces for months and even I can't think they can go down any further. But nothing would surprise me. WoW.
Depending on the Fed’s interest rate policy and what happens with the economy, I’d say anything is possible and a pendulum that swings violently in one direction tends to swing back violently.

I totally feel the pain and will try to get some from Tesla if I were one of the new owners.

However, I am pessimistic about the outcome. Although FSD looks like a free software add-on, the development costs a lot, and you may potentially buy it in the future (probably at a higher price!). Hence, it is not free to Tesla. Also, if they provide free FSD to new owners without FSD, how can they deal with the ones with FSD? The simplest solution will be to give nothing to be fair.

Tesla is just removing the "increases" in the past 2 years. As the car market becomes stable and the economy is bad, they definitely need to do that although I don't expect the drop will be that significant in a single step.

Glad I decided to do some Tesla price checks this evening! I originally ordered a MY in February of last year, but had to cancel in November due to my trade value crashing. I have been shopping for used ever since.

Now I can order a new MY for less than my original order last February? Sold!

This past year has been a roller coaster for sure with prices, demand, and wait times, and I am sure there are more to come in the months ahead.

Being lucky is a lot of times, better than being good. If you are lucky tomorrow, you will be a billionaire :)

Congrats on your purchase and luck.

Reactions: PewPew
I get being pissed off, but based on past history, Tesla never gives any bones to previous owners for price drops, just like other manufacturers don't either. In general, manufacturers have no obligation to always continually raise prices or to maintain a minimal price. After all, given all the price increases, if Tesla were to raise the price, would you be paying them a few thousand dollars when they do so? If not, why do you expect you should get anything when they lower prices?
I'm not pissed, I'm disappointed in Tesla's seemingly arbitrary pricing. The car I received 30 days ago costs basically the same to build as the car that is being delivered tomorrow, despite the $13k less tomorrow's owner is paying, FSD included. We're taking about MSRPs, not dressing up that dealerships do. And we _hate_ dealership games that result in different car owners getting different prices, and I would hope that Tesla stayed out of that company.

Further, if Tesla would have allowed me, for example, to pay with credit card, like I would have been able to do for a $80k television/AV/seating at, say, Best Buy, I'd be able to take advantage of price drop protections, offered both by Best Buy and my credit card. But that's another story.

Basically, it's going to be hard for Tesla to pretend you're buying experience is different that other makes when at the end of the day, you get screwed anyway.

Yeap, they are balancing what they can give and cannot. MSM paint is not free anymore either so you've got to pick and choose carefully what to absolutely get at order and what to get after.
It’s really interesting how strategic Tesla was with this. With the new pricing you can either get:

-Model Y in any color (even the most expensive red) with Gemini wheels

Or

-Model Y in white with upgraded black wheels (the most popular spec)

Any of these configurations magically puts the total MSRP $10 shy of hitting the cap.

SAVAGE

I get being pissed off, but based on past history, Tesla never gives any bones to previous owners for price drops, just like other manufacturers don't either. In general, manufacturers have no obligation to always continually raise prices or to maintain a minimal price. After all, given all the price increases, if Tesla were to raise the price, would you be paying them a few thousand dollars when they do so? If not, why do you expect you should get anything when they lower prices?

GM gave Bolt buyers $6k credit back (or whatever the price drop was) after the price cut. Some manufacturers give price protections if they were pushed to a new model year due to not getting the old model in time. Ford Lightning EV folks get their old price if they ordered at old price, etc.

There are other problems at times with the old model and good and bad with both.

Of course it’s possible.
Yep.

Based on price history Model Y LR used to be as low as $49,990 (when they did a $3k drop back in mid 2020), so they certainly have room to drop it down to that low (this is even ignoring the return of an SR/RWD version which is also a possibility).
Tesla reduces Model Y prices, now starts below $50,000

Even though there is inflation, Tesla had continually be working hard to reduce costs, so I am presuming that mostly cancels out.

I'm not pissed, I'm disappointed in Tesla's seemingly arbitrary pricing. The car I received 30 days ago costs basically the same to build as the car that is being delivered tomorrow, despite the $13k less tomorrow's owner is paying, FSD included. We're taking about MSRPs, not dressing up that dealerships do. And we _hate_ dealership games that result in different car owners getting different prices, and I would hope that Tesla stayed out of that company.

Further, if Tesla would have allowed me, for example, to pay with credit card, like I would have been able to do for a $80k television/AV/seating at, say, Best Buy, I'd be able to take advantage of price drop protections, offered both by Best Buy and my credit card. But that's another story.

Basically, it's going to be hard for Tesla to pretend you're buying experience is different that other makes when at the end of the day, you get screwed anyway.
Yet people will tell us we don't have grounds to be upset/disappointed, and it's our fault for not waiting for Tesla to lower the prices. I hope they lose 20k in one day and be happy with it; that's life-changing money for some people.

Yeah, there's no sugarcoating it, it really sucks if you just purchased recently at the 68k price. That's why it was a bit frustrating to see people on here pushing people parroting "best time to buy a Tesla is now" and pumping Tesla on every thread speculating on price drops. They got a lot of people burned. Just be aware a lot of folks on this forum are Tesla stockholders, they aren't your friends they mostly care about their own (and Tesla's) pocketbook.

Ultimately this price cut is needed, and is a great thing for EV adoption and Tesla as a whole IMO. ucmndd said it well, ripping the bandaid off.

It's misleading to suggest they did it for altruistic reasons or that this is a common thing. They did it related to the Bolt battery fires. Basically you had to sign off on waivering any claims related to the battery fires.
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/that-6000-chevy-bolt-discount-theres-a-catch/

I can't say I know all the fine print, but will some of the folks here be willing to sign a waiver and get back $14k? I think a lot would sign that if given the option.

GM gave Bolt buyers $6k credit back (or whatever the price drop was) after the price cut.
No, they didn’t. They bought people off to keep them from suing over their spontaneously combusting cars. Please stop conflating these things.

Some manufacturers give price protections if they were pushed to a new model year due to not getting the old model in time. Ford Lightning EV folks get their old price if they ordered at old price, etc.
Yes, which is very reasonable - but once you’ve signed the contract and taken delivery, you’re done.

GM gave Bolt buyers $6k credit back (or whatever the price drop was) after the price cut.
Responded to your post as did others. It was just a measure to avoid lawsuits based on the battery fires.

Some manufacturers give price protections if they were pushed to a new model year due to not getting the old model in time. Ford Lightning EV folks get their old price if they ordered at old price, etc.

There are other problems at times with the old model and good and bad with both.
That's the opposite thing, which Tesla offers too. If you put in an order, you get to keep the old price on a Tesla, even when Tesla raises the price. You also get the new lower price if Tesla lowers the price up to the price it is to delivery. However, after you take delivery, the transaction is over.

This is different than what people are discussing here. It's a price drop that happened after delivery and people want compensation for the price drop.

Last edited:
The same price cut dances have been done before for Model 3/S. When Teslas' stop qualifying for tax credit in March tax rebate halves in March and demand drops, you can expect another price drop, possibly for more than $7,500 $3,750.

Tesla is not in the business of giving money back, and they are simply not financially stable enough to do so. Giving free FSD and such will add liability which they can't do ether.

I sold my Model 3 back in August, and now I'm now looking to trade in my Model X for a Model Y. The important question for me is what are the chances USS/radar will be added back in before March?

Last edited:
Their sales model has always been “everybody who buys on the same day pays the same price”.

I’m good with that. Expecting that prices aren’t going to change over time - either in your favor or not - is not a realistic expectation.