Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I meant, is why are some of the exact same configs discounted at 10% and some are at 7% with the exact same specs. Why and when do the listing drop to the lower 10%. Is it how long they sit in inventory? Oddly enough the 10% off listings were added to inventory yesterday and the 7% off exact same config in my area has been there for 2 weeks
Tesla probably has pretty good data about demand for various configs and even colors, and more specifically LOCATIONS.. so some may be location based either total inventory, region, state or city. I noticed many are in TN, which MIGHT not have the same demand profile as CO, CA, or AZ. There could also be STATE based incentives that are changing 1/1/24, some going away or down, some going UP and moving product in those states NOW might be the right move.

Or, someone at Tesla just wanted to be able to walk around and say “this one goes to eeeleven!

What I meant, is why are some of the exact same configs discounted at 10% and some are at 7% with the exact same specs. Why and when do the listing drop to the lower 10%. Is it how long they sit in inventory? Oddly enough the 10% off listings were added to inventory yesterday and the 7% off exact same config in my area has been there for 2 weeks
Standard Tesla practice here. Some have claimed it has to do with time in inventory, but I don’t believe that is the case. It’s a basic sales strategy to make buyers feel like they need to make a decision now and to make them feel like they got a good deal.

We still have 3+ weeks in the month, I think we may see one or two more $400 discounts by the last week putting prices close to 34K.

Tesla probably has pretty good data about demand for various configs and even colors, and more specifically LOCATIONS.. so some may be location based either total inventory, region, state or city. I noticed many are in TN, which MIGHT not have the same demand profile as CO, CA, or AZ. There could also be STATE based incentives that are changing 1/1/24, some going away or down, some going UP and moving product in those states NOW might be the right move.

Or, someone at Tesla just wanted to be able to walk around and say “this one goes to eeeleven!
That makes sense, at least for CA. The CA CVRP funds are depleted, so there is no more $2,500 rebate. Combined with the Federal Tax Credit, some got upwards of $10k in incentives here in CA.

Remember that the Highland version will increase demand all on its own. There are plenty of people passing up on these incredible prices just for a chance to get Highland without even knowing the price.

It is entirely possible that Tesla raises the Highland price $1,000-$2,000 like parts of Europe did even if the tax credit is cut in half. The demand for Highland will still be there because of the improvements.

Don’t forget that they sell more Model Ys than Model 3s. You might see the discounts shift to the Y before Juniper comes out.

Don’t be surprised if Highland prices get A LOT more expensive than current Model 3 prices in the US. I can even imagine a scenario where Highland Model 3s are the same price as inventory Model Ys(before Juniper).

While possible. It is hard to imagine a world where Tesla is selling Model 3 Highland at a much higher price than the Model Y. The average consumer, including myself would lean to the Model Y.

Let’s assume a $1,000 price increase. That places the Gray RWD at $39,990. Reduce $3,750 via EV credit with an out the door price of $36,240.

At the same time a Gray RWD Model Y is $43,990. Reduce $7,500 via EV credit with an out the door price of $36,490. For those that don’t NEED a vehicle and can wait for December 2024 incentives, they could walk away with a purchase somewhere between 31K-33K. Insane.

While possible. It is hard to imagine a world where Tesla is selling Model 3 Highland at a much higher price than the Model Y. The average consumer, including myself would lean to the Model Y.

Let’s assume a $1,000 price increase. That places the Gray RWD at $39,990. Reduce $3,750 via EV credit with an out the door price of $36,240.

At the same time a Gray RWD Model Y is $43,990. Reduce $7,500 via EV credit with an out the door price of $36,490. For those that don’t NEED a vehicle and can wait for December 2024 incentives, they could walk away with a purchase somewhere between 31K-33K. Insane.
We have both MY and M3, and they drive very differently. That said, I agree, a value-seeking buyer who doesn't even care much about test driving both vehicles, will likely get the Y at the same price point as the 3. But many people who already own the 3 or the Y, or both may be considering a new 3 and waiting for the Highland even at a higher price point.

Can you provide some details?
I own a Y, have never driven the 3.
Thanks!
Not relevant question for this thread. Plenty of threads on this topic, if you take the time to search for it.

For example:

Reactions: flixden

Tesla also says that the Model Y may get the tax credit reduction on January 1st.

They are saying that the Model 3 definitely gets the tax credit reduction because they know that the second they tell you the Highland will be available in the US nobody will buy the old one.

I think there is a distinct possibility that all Tesla vehicles will have the tax credit cut in half on January 1st 2024 for purchases. They might also remove all price reductions for inventory cars that day too.

We might see a $6k-$8k price increase across the board for Model 3 and Model Y on January 1st. That certainly would help resell values for those looking to upgrade to Highland.

Tesla also says that the Model Y may get the tax credit reduction on January 1st.

They are saying that the Model 3 definitely gets the tax credit reduction because they know that the second they tell you the Highland will be available in the US nobody will buy the old one.

I think there is a distinct possibility that all Tesla vehicles will have the tax credit cut in half on January 1st 2024 for purchases. They might also remove all price reductions for inventory cars that day too.

We might see a $6k-$8k price increase across the board for Model 3 and Model Y on January 1st. That certainly would help resell values for those looking to upgrade to Highland.
I’ll take that bet.. ;-)

I read Highland is priced abroad at $40k US; probably no inventory pricing for a bit too, at least not until the end of whatever quarter its released here. I’ve also been reading about similar complaints on fit and finish as all Tesla vehicles with some firmware glitches. So it’s still a Tesla.
Still, the updated body and suspension is enticing.

I placed an order for an M3 RWD on Sunday (Dec 3) priced at $36,260. All paperwork was completed on Tuesday (Dec 5) and was scheduled to pick it up today (Dec 6). This morning, there were one or two M3 RWD priced at $35,090. I asked if they could match the price but was told that prices are VIN-specific, but was allowed to switch to a VIN that had the lower price but had to wait one week before it is available - well worth the $1.2k additional discount.

I was not even looking to purchase another Tesla - but the $2,730 (now $3,900!) "inventory" discount, the $1,000 CT reservation discount, and the $7,500 tax credit were hard to ignore.

FWIW: The M3 is replacing a 2012 Prius PHV - which I paid almost the same price (in 2013) as the M3 RWD - and that is before the tax credit!

Also, the VIN of the $36,260 was 692xxx and the $35,090 was 688xxx (~4,000 units apart) - so I am thinking that the pricing is BASED on the VIN, with earlier VIN's receiving the larger discounts. Although the 692xxx VIN was ready to be delivered this week and the 688xxx VIN was still in transit.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: alexgr and mpgxsvcd
I placed an order for an M3 RWD on Sunday (Dec 3) priced at $36,260. All paperwork was completed on Tuesday (Dec 5) and was scheduled to pick it up today (Dec 6). This morning, there were one or two M3 RWD priced at $35,090. I asked if they could match the price but was told that prices are VIN-specific, but was allowed to switch to a VIN that had the lower price but had to wait one week before it is available - well worth the $1.2k additional discount.

I was not even looking to purchase another Tesla - but the $2,730 (now $3,900!) "inventory" discount, the $1,000 CT reservation discount, and the $7,500 tax credit were hard to ignore.

FWIW: The M3 is replacing a 2012 Prius PHV - which I paid almost the same price (in 2013) as the M3 RWD - and that is before the tax credit!

Also, the VIN of the $36,260 was 692xxx and the $35,090 was 688xxx (~4,000 units apart) - so I am thinking that the pricing is BASED on the VIN, with earlier VIN's receiving the larger discounts. Although the 692xxx VIN was ready to be delivered this week and the 688xxx VIN was still in transit.
This is exactly my thinking…don’t NEED a second car right now but likely will in the next year and the inventory discounts, full fed tax credit and cybertruck discount are making me think we won’t ever see it this cheap again. Looks like the cheapest inventory cars have all gotten snagged at $35,090 while I’m waffling on what to do.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
we test drove the RWD just because I assumed it would feel so slow - we owned a performance and AWD model 3 previously. But we were surprised how it still felt like it has plenty of power.

I'm still on the fence if this is the best time to buy - part of me is saying yes - with the $1k CT discount, $7500 tax credit, and discounts...but I also wonder if I might regret it the second the highland models come out next year. lol...I'm torn...

we test drove the RWD just because I assumed it would feel so slow - we owned a performance and AWD model 3 previously. But we were surprised how it still felt like it has plenty of power.

I'm still on the fence if this is the best time to buy - part of me is saying yes - with the $1k CT discount, $7500 tax credit, and discounts...but I also wonder if I might regret it the second the highland models come out next year. lol...I'm torn...
If you're wondering that now, you likely will regret it. There are some folks who couldn't care less about new or refreshed body styles. Then there are others who would be bothered by constantly pulling up at the light right next to the new style, which they know they could have had for just a few thousand more. If you're in the former camp, better to wait and buy the Highland.

Reactions: flixden