Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my mobile connecter shipped is that an indicator that a vin is coming soon?
My mobile connector shipped last week and arrives today. Still no vin. The ship date of the connector doesn't mean the vin is coming.

I know a few people that also ordered wall connectors and also received those before vin was assigned.
It's more of a when did you order the vehicle and connector. Mine shipped about 2 weeks after my OD. EDD hasn't changed since the first update.

All - as we wait for updates, has anyone been tempted to switch to the MY AWD (Standard Range) that have been showing up in inventory - particularly yesterday? Or LR is the way to go?

I for one have been tempted...and currently do have the option to switch to a Standard Range but knowing myself, my range anxiety may kick in sooner than expected!

Curious if others have thoughts on this?

FYI. I got my VIN 2 days after a 2-week EDD window was assigned. It's comi

All - as we wait for updates, has anyone been tempted to switch to the MY AWD (Standard Range) that have been showing up in inventory - particularly yesterday? Or LR is the way to go?

I for one have been tempted...and currently do have the option to switch to a Standard Range but knowing myself, my range anxiety may kick in sooner than expected!

The one thing that Tesla owners will agree upon is that you shouldn't have range anxiety. Charging options are always plentiful...

Also, Tesla recommends charging the 4680 cells to 100% whereas they say the Lithium battery in MYLR shouldn't be charged more than 80% for regular use.

80% of 330 is 264, which is same as standard range RWD

So you'll only see range difference of 50-60 extra miles in the first segment of a long trip (where you'd start MYLR with 100% battery from home)

Get MYLR is you want the AWD, otherwise RWD is practically the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: DKS37 and PewPew
The one thing that Tesla owners will agree upon is that you shouldn't have range anxiety. Charging options are always plentiful...

Also, Tesla recommends charging the 4680 cells to 100% whereas they say the Lithium battery in MYLR shouldn't be charged more than 80% for regular use.

So you'll only see range difference of 50-60 extra miles in the first segment of a long trip (where you'd start MYLR with 100% battery from home)

Thank you for your insight. I was not aware of the recommendation to charge the 4680 cells to 100%. I was aware of charging Lithium batteries to 80%-90%.

Interestingly enough the MY Standard Range is also AWD (which would have been a deal breaker for me if it had not been). Now I am seriously considering switching!

Question to the ones who already took the delivery; did you get any additional paper work to claim EV tax credit? since the Bill says you can claim either for 2022 (proceeding year) or 2023, just wondering anyone considering to claim the credit for 2022 tax year?
We are claiming an EV tax credit for the purchase of my wife's 2022 Volvo C40 Recharge last year. All my CPA needed was the purchase contract to file the credit. However if you do your own taxes there is probably an extra step.

For local driving, it won't make much difference if you have the option to charge at home or work. I routinely drive less than 50 miles a day and top off every night at home.
For trips, super chargers are widely available and the navigation will let you know what your charge rate will be at each stop along the way and you can pick other chargers if you don't like to see it get down to 25% or less.
The biggest impact would be if you routinely take long trips as it could amount to an extra charge stop or two.

Reactions: MNONTHEROAD

You save $2000 and lose a significant amount of range. I don't really see any reason to switch unless $2K makes a difference to you or you are worried you won't get your current MYLR before the tax credit rules (might) change.

Reactions: WyoDude

Are you sure about the 100% charging recommendation? I thought that was only for the LFP batteries that are in M3 SR RWD and MY SR RWD (overseas only). I thought that the 4680 was still the same chemistry as 2170 just in smaller packaging per cell.

EDIT: Just checked the MY manual and the only recommendation for charging % I can find in the manual is that LFP batteries (4680 is not LFP) should be charged to 100% once a week. They actually have no mention of an 80% recommendation for charging in general. At least none I could find in the charging section of the user manual. I realize this has been common knowledge and probably was in the manuals at some point...I'm surprised I can't find it in there anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: scionbox
You save $2000 and lose a significant amount of range. I don't really see any reason to switch unless $2K makes a difference to you or you are worried you won't get your current MYLR before the tax credit rules (might) change.
The Tax Credit will make some people consider switching to ensure they receive the $7500. I'm going to hold out for the LR and hopefully this will pay off.

The tax credit rules (maybe) changing is the main reason why I was contemplating switching to MY Standard Range. I just checked again and it seems like all that's left in inventory locally is the MY Standard Range with Induction Wheels (I did not opt for these earlier) so I'm essentially swapping range for wheels now. Decision made - sticking with my original design!

Thanks to all for your input - I appreciate this community!

Are you seeing EDDs for the SR? All I see is “coming soon”.

Stepping back, more range at the same price is much better in the long run.

Some said coming soon while 1 MSM I saw last night said available for local delivery!
Interesting. I hope they focus on building custom orders before making a bunch more SRs for inventory.

A lot of what I read says the credit may be cut in half if battery sourcing requirements go into effect. If that happens and irs provides effective dates that are before EDDs, I think that’s when you’ll see cancellations or changes to SR

Figured I would jump in to the conversation, as I have delivery anxiety in order to get the $7500. Hopefully the EDD changes in my favor.

MYLR Gray/Black/19, No adds

OD: 1/26(AM)
EDD.5: Jan-March
Had a trade-in 'pending review' and the app kept telling me I didn't finish my tasks. Got rid of trade later that night and it "completed" with a new EDD
EDD1: Feb-March
Changed from Gray to Blue on 1/31, got a new EDD
EDD2 (1/31): March 14 - March 31 😰

Fingers crossed that I get it before the battery requirements come out and reduce the incentive. Should have ordered before the $500 hike because I wanted a tow hitch and now it's above the cap for me. I can always add after, but maybe tow hitch would have moved up the EDD (or made it worse).

Thank you for your insight. I was not aware of the recommendation to charge the 4680 cells to 100%. I was aware of charging Lithium batteries to 80%-90%.

Interestingly enough the MY Standard Range is also AWD (which would have been a deal breaker for me if it had not been). Now I am seriously considering switching!

Thank you both the insights into the new battery variant! I had to look it up to learn more. My thoughts:

1. Range for daily driving is about the same (4680 charged to 100% vs 2170 charged to 80%) (Correction: both are recommended to charge to 80% or 90% daily, still not going to impact the daily driving)
2. Effeciency: about the same (4680 is slightly better since it is slightly lighter than 2170)
3. Price is about $2,500 cheaper with 4680. Though the available inventory MYSRs mostly have an add-on (20" wheel and/or tow, paint) which bring it closer to the MYLRs
4. Super charging rate with MYLR (2170) is faster than MYSR (4680) in terms the miles per minute (from 10% to 80%). This will only make a difference if you use supercharging often (for business use locally or road trips)
5. 4680 MYSRs are made in Austin if this matters.
6. 4680 cells will become the majority in future Tesla cars.

Last edited:
Figured I would jump in to the conversation, as I have delivery anxiety in order to get the $7500. Hopefully the EDD changes in my favor.

MYLR Gray/Black/19, No adds

OD: 1/26(AM)
EDD.5: Jan-March
Had a trade-in 'pending review' and the app kept telling me I didn't finish my tasks. Got rid of trade later that night and it "completed" with a new EDD
EDD1: Feb-March
Changed from Gray to Blue on 1/31, got a new EDD
EDD2 (1/31): March 14 - March 31 😰

Fingers crossed that I get it before the battery requirements come out and reduce the incentive. Should have ordered before the $500 hike because I wanted a tow hitch and now it's above the cap for me. I can always add after, but maybe tow hitch would have moved up the EDD (or made it worse).
Do you think it’s still worth it if the credit changed to $3,750? I’ve come to terms that it is and ready for that possibility. Not sure how I feel if the entire $7,500 goes away, though lol