Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who used to be in the automotive styling industry, let me give some insight on PPF and ceramic coating. Just to give some context I’m in SoCal and have been out of the business for 2 years now but still have plenty of friends in the business that I talk to frequently.

Over 50% of our clients were Tesla owners. The most popular package that we sold was a full front PPF (front bumper, hood, front fenders, headlights, fog lights, mirror caps, trunk lip) and ceramic coat the rest of the car (also did chrome deletes before they changed to black trim). Just the front end PPF was just over $2k that we charged. I would suspect anything over $1500 is normal for a full front. Anything less than that I would second guess the qualify of work you’re getting. Also if they’re pre cut kits and they don’t wrap around the edges and don’t require any disassembly that would be significantly cheaper and faster for the installer but you would see dirt accumulate around the corners and edges very quickly. Also lifting on those spots was common. As a for profit business we have to cover our overhead so we need to charge a fair amount that keeps us profitable. If you find someone that works out of their own garage that may be the most cost effective way but I sure hope he has experience.

Point about ceramic coating a lot of people don’t take into consideration is the paint correct step before applying the coating. Applying coating is very simple and straightforward but even a brand new car from any manufacturer will have paint defects. If you don’t paint correct before applying the coating then whatever imperfection (swirls, scratches, damages, etc.) will be embedded in the coating. Later on it would require having to remove the coating to get to those imperfections and make the whole process a lot more costly and risky. Most of the cost will be the paint correction process. Pricing for this also varies the most between shops but be sure to ask about whether or not they will do a paint correction before applying the coating.

Ceramic coating on top of PPF is nice but not necessary IMO. It does make the car easier to clean and theoretically would prolong the life of the PPF from yellowing but I have yet to see a car with it on long enough to definitely say how much more life you will get.

Maintenance is key for anything you do, whether it’s PPF, ceramic coating or vinyl wrapping. A car that is garaged and not directly in the sun will last significantly longer than one that is. If you live by the ocean that will degrade the material much faster as well. Cleaning the car regularly is a big emphasis on maintaining all the work you paid to have done. Most PPF films have a 10 year warranty but be mindful when you remove it it may peel the paint off. Tesla doesn’t have the best quality of paint so I wouldn’t recommend keeping the film on that long. Maybe replace it every 5-7 years depending how much damage it has suffered.
Thanks for the insights. Do you mean to do a good job, they would have to take the panels apart to cover the edge? It seems quite some work for DIY then. I am struggling on deciding it. Material costs around $1k for full front. A professional service costs around $2k. Not sure if DIY is a good idea though. How difficult could it be to install a film?

Thanks for the insights. Do you mean to do a good job, they would have to take the panels apart to cover the edge? It seems quite some work for DIY then. I am struggling on deciding it. Material costs around $1k for full front. A professional service costs around $2k. Not sure if DIY is a good idea though. How difficult could it be to install a film?
From various videos I’ve seen on “better than most” PPF jobs, they don’t pull the metal body panels off, but they do pull bumper covers, various plastic trims and lights.

You don’t “have” to do that, depending on how you trim cut the PPF, but it’s probably better if you. Still DIY-able… if you’ve got the patience and confidence.

Reactions: NJ08809
+1.
My personal opinion and observation: I was in the market for a Kia Telluride before ordering Model Y and experienced the same thing with Kia. People in other parts of the country were getting the deliveries earlier than in the PNW area. The wait time for me was around 6-8 months whereas, in Florida, Georgia was getting cars in 1-2 months max.
For the current MYLR order, no update since the last update. EDD Feb 28 - March 31. ODD 1/22 Profile Completion: 1/25
I’m same as you.
Seattle
OD 1/29
MYLR white/white 19’ no other extras
No VIN
EDD: 3/12-3/31

I came to know today that if we chose inventory vehicle, then new pricing will be applicable to us. But if our SA chose the same inventory vehicle then old pricing will be honored. Have seen a MYLR7 in inventory today and was very interested to take it, but came to know this. So thought of sharing with you guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goobers and fishers
I’ve got a PF668xxx coming in the same configuration. Hope the quality holds!
So upon further inspection, I noticed a few small issues. Scratches on the hood, they’ll get buffed out when the PPF gets installed on Wednesday. The back wheels, camber seems to pretty deep, I’m concerned they’ll wear out on the inside. To close the frunk you have to slam it, way too hard.

Made an appointment for the alignment and frunk issue.

Reactions: Jeff-4