Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am debating between Nema 14-50 vs. Tesla wall connector? This video explains the differences. Any comments on which one do you prefer?

Do both!

I bought a Mobile Connector and installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle not long after I ordered my Model Y. It just hung there on the wall teasing me with the TESLA logo illuminated unnecessarily for three months. I glared at it at least twice each day with impatience while getting into my gasoline-powered vehicle. I was giddy when I actually get to use it for the first time on the day I took delivery!

I normally drive less than 40 miles per day and it takes about 1.5 hours to recharge each evening with the Mobile Connector, which is more than adequate for my needs. A full charge from 0-100% would take about 12 hours. A Wall Connector reduces these times to 1 hour and 8 hours, respectively, because it allows 50% faster charging.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a Wall Connector for my brother-in-law. I went ahead and ordered and installed one for myself even though I didn't need it for two reasons:

• I like the capability to charge at home as quickly as possible in case the need ever arises.
  • I like having a second charging solution in case one fails (there are no L2 or L3 chargers near me, so I rely on home charging).

If I had to choose either a Mobile Connector or a Wall Connector, I would choose the Mobile Connector because it is portable - a Wall Connector isn't.

If I had to buy one before the other, I would again choose the Mobile Connector.

Ultimately, I would recommend both so that you could charge at home as fast as possible, have a backup charging method, and the ability to keep the Mobile Connector in the car in case you need to charge away from home.

Even though I'm charging using the Wall Connector now, I left the NEMA 14-50 receptacle in case I need to use the Mobile Connector as a backup or maybe another Tesla or EV owner needs to charge at my house. Or, maybe I'll decide to buy a second clothes dryer or range or take up welding as a hobby and will already have a place to plug something else in. :)

In the interest of transparency, it cost me less than $150 in materials (breakers, receptacle, wire, conduit, fittings, etc.) and a few hours of my time to install both a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and a Wall Connector because I have the ability to do my own electrical work and my circuit breaker panel is in my garage. If I had to pay someone hundreds or thousands of dollars for this work, my recommendation might be different.

343584950_236956482350116_2058457015559376_n.jpg

Do both!

I bought a Mobile Connector and installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle not long after I ordered my Model Y. It just hung there on the wall teasing me with the TESLA logo illuminated unnecessarily for three months. I glared at it at least twice each day with impatience while getting into my gasoline-powered vehicle. I was giddy when I actually get to use it for the first time on the day I took delivery!

I normally drive less than 40 miles per day and it takes about 1.5 hours to recharge each evening with the Mobile Connector, which is more than adequate for my needs. A full charge from 0-100% would take about 12 hours. A Wall Connector reduces these times to 1 hour and 8 hours, respectively, because it allows 50% faster charging.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed a Wall Connector for my brother-in-law. I went ahead and ordered and installed one for myself even though I didn't need it for two reasons:

• I like the capability to charge at home as quickly as possible in case the need ever arises.
  • I like having a second charging solution in case one fails (there are no L2 or L3 chargers near me, so I rely on home charging).

If I had to choose either a Mobile Connector or a Wall Connector, I would choose the Mobile Connector because it is portable - a Wall Connector isn't.

If I had to buy one before the other, I would again choose the Mobile Connector.

Ultimately, I would recommend both so that you could charge at home as fast as possible, have a backup charging method, and the ability to keep the Mobile Connector in the car in case you need to charge away from home.

Even though I'm charging using the Wall Connector now, I left the NEMA 14-50 receptacle in case I need to use the Mobile Connector as a backup or maybe another Tesla or EV owner needs to charge at my house. Or, maybe I'll decide to buy a second clothes dryer or range or take up welding as a hobby and will already have a place to plug something else in. :)

In the interest of transparency, it cost me less than $150 in materials (breakers, receptacle, wire, conduit, fittings, etc.) and a few hours of my time to install both a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and a Wall Connector because I have the ability to do my own electrical work and my circuit breaker panel is in my garage. If I had to pay someone hundreds or thousands of dollars for this work, my recommendation might be different.

343584950_236956482350116_2058457015559376_n.jpg
Thanks!

I need to call a local place about ceramic coating. I do not think I want to do PPF as I do not have time to hand wash my car and no touchless car washes anywhere close to where I live.
:)
Great - a new rabbit hole to go down:

Also

Great - a new rabbit hole to go down:

Also

I get it and have done all my research. I live in a climate where half the year it is cold and no way I am going to do it myself then. I have stuff to wash the car and I have washed my M3 myself once so I could do it but just not as often as some people I read do it.

The automatic car wash I have is pretty good. They do not use the normal material to wash the car (towel like) and use this foam stuff. Supposedly it stops the dirt and grime sticking and my car has not been damaged yet.

This may diminish how long the ceramic lasts. I can always get it done one more time. My guess if I get a 7 year ceramic it will hopefully last 4-5 years using an automatic car wash.

I believe in NJ you need to install a Gen 2 charger which I believe has wi-fi. The new Tesla wall charger meets that requirement.

The mobile connector does not.
As I remember only ChargePoint and JuiceBox are eligible for off-peak prices - some models may share information about energy consumption (requires additional setup with pse&g). Tesla wall charger was not in the list - unfortunately, I can't find it now, but I recommend to check ev chargers with additional $250 rebate from nj: EV Charger Incentive | Charge Up New Jersey

Reactions: erktrek and imgcs
As I remember only ChargePoint and JuiceBox are eligible for off-peak prices - some models may share information about energy consumption (requires additional setup with pse&g). Tesla wall charger was not in the list - unfortunately, I can't find it now, but I recommend to check ev chargers with additional $250 rebate from nj: EV Charger Incentive | Charge Up New Jersey
I think it (Telsa wall connector) qualifies for the PSEG $1500 but not the off-peak prices.

I do not believe the Tesla wall connector qualifies for the $250.

Reactions: imgcs
In light of this discussion, I just checked again and discovered that Tesla's Wall Connector became Energy Star certified on March 15, 2023.

That now qualifies me for a $250 rebate from my utility company. Including the 30% federal tax credit, my net cost for the Wall Connector is $72.

This rebate applies to SWEPCO customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: imgcs and Skunis
You can install NEMA 14-50 with wall charger and get a refund (PSE&G)
And lower bills with some charger models
To be eligible to receive the residential Made Ready incentives, the customer must be using a Level 2 smart charger.
  • To be considered a smart charger, a charging station must be capable of sending and receiving communications via Wi-Fi or a cellular network.

https://nj.myaccount.pseg.com/myservicepublic/electricvehicles

• Informative
Reactions: erktrek
That's for a rebate from the state; this is seperate from PSE&G's charging and installation cost offset program.

Reactions: erktrek