Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a strange vin at this point. My VIN that I rejected on 1/20 was A053333. That was over 2 weeks ago.

This is a strange vin at this point. My VIN that I rejected on 1/20 was A053333. That was over 2 weeks ago.
Did you get assigned with new ViN after rejection, I am in the same boat rejected on 02/04, still waiting for assigning with new one, OD is 01/13..

That's exactly where I don't get it. A repaint could be so much better than spending five, six thousand dollars for a film. I only heard this PPF thing after looking for a Tesla.

Repainting a car is not always done right. It comes to two factors, Owner of the car and the body shop. When I mean by owner of the car, its how they upkeep your details on your car. Over time, the clear coat and paint will fade, ever after the first year without proper details. (Subject to SUN, UV RAYS, Acidity of the rain, salt from roads, and etc.) You get into a fender bender after 2-3 years, you rarely detail/Maintain your car, and you get your front end repainted. That new paint will not match with the rest of the car due to not maintaining your car. (ive been in the auto industry in the past and see the mismatch paints all the time)

People who get PPF, are either looking to change colors or keep that stock look without damaging the paint. But even with PPF, you still need to maintain it.

Today's paints are very soft. They are soft because of the brilliant of colors not because the manufacture is cheap. Most Cars these days are made with MICA, Pearl, Metallic and other lusters to make their unique color/shine. Because of this type of paint, PPF has been a top priority to people who care about detailing and looks.

Regards to price, $600 is extremely cheap. i saw someone on this thread calculated that it would be 5 hours to get it done, i am sorry, but that person would not be in business if they are charging that cheap unless they are cutting corners. If you are looking to properly PPF you car, a full Color Correction is highly recommend, especially on a Tesla due to their quality control of their clear coats. I am sorry, but 5 hours or 1 day to PPF your car, I wouldn't take my car their.

Reactions: NJ08809
That's exactly where I don't get it. A repaint could be so much better than spending five, six thousand dollars for a film. I only heard this PPF thing after looking for a Tesla.

Fully wrapping a car with PPF is not usually done on something like a Tesla. It's typically done on very expensive exotics, where keeping the original paint is very important and respraying of anything may seriously affect the car's resale value by tens of thousands of dollars. In those cases, the cost of full-body PPF is well justified.

The cost for a frontal PPF job, which I regard as reasonable in the $1500-2000 range depending on the size/complexity of the vehicle, is *about* what it costs for a good quality body shop to respray one panel plus blending. I'm not talking about Joe's Body Shop or local/regional/national chains. Those guys will not produce an adequate color match and they cannot afford to hire good techs for proper disassembly/assembly. I'm not saying that there is no market for these lower-quality body shops - there are plenty of people for whom a $600 resprayed bumper that looks off-color and with noticeable tape lines in the seams is just fine with them.

Model: MYP, Midnight Silver Metallic
Order Date : February 3 (before price increase)
Financing Approved last night
Delivery Date: Feb-March ; Unchanged from when I placed the order

Can't wait to get a narrower delivery window as am planning to sell my 2019 4Runner around the same time and have interested buyers wanting a potential pickup date..Any idea when one an expect a date change? And is there any chance that this gets delivered by the end of February ahead of the March decision by the IRS?

I'd be really weary of these $500-$1000 PPF quotes.
Be prepared for the risk of getting your car back with knife marks through to the metal. Also no way those jobs are wrapping edges so be prepared to have it peeling back and yellowing within the year...basically looking 10x worse than whatever small rock chip the PPF may have helped avoid.

As an example, see the damage the PPF installer did to this Porsche :oops:

Reactions: ArizonaFish
110EB299-1C39-43E2-8258-67399410D6E1.jpeg

They selling demo cars now lol

Model: MYP, Midnight Silver Metallic
Order Date : February 3 (before price increase)
Financing Approved last night
Delivery Date: Feb-March ; Unchanged from when I placed the order

Can't wait to get a narrower delivery window as am planning to sell my 2019 4Runner around the same time and have interested buyers wanting a potential pickup date..Any idea when one an expect a date change? And is there any chance that this gets delivered by the end of February ahead of the March decision by the IRS?
I’m in the same boat . I ordered 1/25/2023 planning on selling my 2020 4 runner around the time I get my vin#. I got my first EDD a week after ordering . Gave me two week window 3/20-3:31 was edd. Now it changed yesterday to 3/15-3/31. Hopefully delivery will be closer to the 15th lol

A bit more background about my question:

I asked this, because someone from Colorado got the same done in $600, whereas Bay Area rates are 1800+ for the same.

The material may retail at $500, but the shops getting uncut rolls would probably get better rates.

Moderately experienced worker would take around 5 hrs to this job.
I don't know the hourly labor rate, but think $50 per hr isn't unreasonable, the shop workers aren't paid more than 100K per annum, even in Bay Area.

This $50/hr is the rate actually paid to the worker, shop owner's profit is separate.

I won't need paint correction for a brand new car, and paint defects aren't very loud in Pearl White.

So my calculations for reasonable was:

Material $ 400
Labor. $ 250
Profit. $ 250
------------------------
Total. $900

With this calculation, I think Bay Area shop owners are adding an additional $900 Tesla tax, taking their profit to $230 per hr (which is way more than most of Bay Area Tesla owners' salary)

Sir, politely, your business experience is showing. Employee cost is typically 1/3 to 1/2 the operating cost of any business. Employee umemploment, health insurance benefits, and etc are generally another 30%. Building, power, support staff, insurance, debt service, etc are 2, to 3 times employee cost. Most businesses would kill for a 15% net profit, you can almost ignore profit.

100k per employee
30k cost per employee loading
130kto 260k remaining operating costs

Typical business cost per profit generating employee is $260k/390K per annum. 2080 hours/ year. $125 an hour for a small efficient shop to $187 for something with lots of high cost support staff.

What you want to pay for is Chinese film, somebody working out of their garage, installed fast, and no warranty. Yep, $900 totally reasonable then, even less. I bet I could find somebody using $300 worth of film, taking $40 per hour under the table on weekends, and slapping it on in 5 hours. Heck, I've actually been stupid enough to make those decisions in years past. Experience is a harsh and costly teacher.

Here in the midwest, with techs making 40% less, I'm assuming $600 for quality film, $125 an hour for 6 hours installed in a professional setting, and a $100 equipment use/depreciation cost. I want to use an established long-term business with proven warranty support. And yes, I expect to pay a premium for premium products and services.

Good luck to you and all that, but I personally I don't expect success in your plan.

-d

Reactions: Cyclone
It would seem that if you don't spend a grand or five on it the car will fall apart from the weight of the bugs and rock chips it will accumulate over its life :)

That's simply not true. Even my grandma knows that the weight savings due to the paint that chips off more than offsets the additional weight of accumulated bug carcasses. In fact, this weight savings actually helps offset the normal battery degradation and improves efficiency over time! :D :D :D

Tesla paint is notoriously soft.

Replace "Tesla" in that sentence with any other brand and use it in a Google search and you'll never stop reading. ;)

I’m in the same boat . I ordered 1/25/2023 planning on selling my 2020 4 runner around the time I get my vin#. I got my first EDD a week after ordering . Gave me two week window 3/20-3:31 was edd. Now it changed yesterday to 3/15-3/31. Hopefully delivery will be closer to the 15th lol

Thanks. I think MYLR have a longer lead time..I initially ordered a MYLR on 02/01 but had a March-May EDD so cancelled it fearing no chance of it being delivered ahead of the IRS announcement. With MYP's estimated delivery showing Feb-March I'm hoping it comes through..