Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Tesla store yesterday and one of the sales rep was saying that MYLR batteries are made in US and the credit works for MYLR even after March whereas M3 batteries are made overseas as per the rep.

I thought the incentive is also based on a % of US made materials that are within the battery. Thus the reason why the ruling got pushed until March for manufactures could produce the materials. unless i am missing something.

MYLR
Red/Black Interior/19wheel
OD : 1/16
EDD1 : 2/26 - 3/31
EDD2 : 2/9 - 3/9
EDD3 : 2/17 - 3/3 (changed on 2/9)

No VIN assigned yet

Today, EDD window shrink from 4 weeks to 2 weeks window. So, I guess VIN will get assign soon?

I saw same config MYLR, OD 1/15 got VIN assigned recently.
That's what happened to me, but it took about 3 days after the two week window update before the vin came. Also note that if the vin is assigned late at night it will update on the web and app, but you most likely won't get a text/email until 7am. I imagine being on the east coast like me, after vin, your delivery range will narrow to a 7 day window starting about 7 to 10 days after vin assignment.

Reactions: CP4966
I was at the Tesla store yesterday and one of the sales rep was saying that MYLR batteries are made in US and the credit works for MYLR even after March whereas M3 batteries are made overseas as per the rep.
I thought the incentive is also based on a % of US made materials that are within the battery. Thus the reason why the ruling got pushed until March for manufactures could produce the materials. unless i am missing something.
Ghuie32 is on the right track here. While assembly in the US is a requirement, the unknown is about sourcing of the materials used in assembly.

Reactions: Byce007
That is basically correct. It got pushed back as the law didn't specify what materials and what is a free trade partner. That is what the IRS is waiting to clarify. They aren't waiting until things are mined in the US, but giving incentives to push for sourcing in the US.

That's what happened to me, but it took about 3 days after the two week window update before the vin came. Also note that if the vin is assigned late at night it will update on the web and app, but you most likely won't get a text/email until 7am. I imagine being on the east coast like me, after vin, your delivery range will narrow to a 7 day window starting about 7 to 10 days after vin assignment.
I’m also with early AM OD 1/16 with a current EDD of 2/15-3/15 in NJ. MYLR MSM/Black 19”

What we have here is typical government overpromising (Oh, they'll [always someone else]be able to do it) and not being able to deliver.

It's like passing a law that makes a gallon of auto gas contain 175K BTU's, or declaring that the maximum anybody weighs is 175#.

Now they have to figure out what to do about it and who to blame it on.

I waited 9 months for a VW ID4 only to have the price raised on me twice. Cancelled the order while it was on a train to CA when Tesla dropped their prices.

I have no problem waiting a few more months for delivery, and am thankful Tesla will honor my reservation price.

MYLR 5 MSM Black 19 TOW
OD: 1/23
EDD: 3/12-3/31
I also cancelled by VW ID4 when Tesla reduced prices. MY OD 1/18 a MYLR. Just waiting and looking forward with excitement to the Model Y.

Aside from the income requirements, taxpayer is eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credits if the car purchased has met the two requirements:
  1. Critical mineral requirement - $3,750
  2. Battery component requirement - $3,750
Tesla "made/assembled" their batteries (4680/2170) in the US. This is why Tesla will be able to meet the second requirement which will make their cars eligible for the $3,750 credits.

However, the first test require that the "critical minerals" in the battery have to have certain % in terms of value (a) to be "extracted or processed or recycled" (b) in the US or other country with a free trade agreement with the US. As you can imagine, most of these minerals are coming from the countries that do not have free trade agreement with the US. To identify the activities in the process (b) above is not an easy task and will involve all the suppliers in the process. I think that's why it takes so long for the treasury to come up with the guidance on this.

Regardless what the guidance treasury will come up with, it is presummed that none of the auto makers will meet this requirement. That's why it is anticipated that Tesla buyers will lose the $3,750 credits when the treasury guidance on the critical mineral requirement is released.

If you are interested, here is the treasury white paper that I based off.

Last edited:
I also cancelled by VW ID4 when Tesla reduced prices. MY OD 1/18 a MYLR. Just waiting and looking forward with excitement to the Model Y.
My friend also cancelled his ID4 order last week and ordered a MYLR. ID4 availability seems to be much worse in Canada and even though he’d had his order in for 6 months or so they were now telling him Q1 2024😳
However ID4 is still many thousand cheaper than MYLR in Canada as VW keeps the price below the federal rebate so you get $9K in combined rebates. MY only qualifies for $4K provincial rebate after the price drop.

Reactions: notanid4
Aside from the income requirements, taxpayer is eligible for the $7,500 EV tax credits if the car purchased has met the two requirements:
  1. Critical mineral requirement - $3,750
  2. Battery component requirement - $3,750
Tesla "made/assembled" their batteries (4680/2170) in the US. This is why Tesla will be able to meet the second requirement which will make their cars eligible for the $3,750 credits.

However, the first test require that the "critical minerals" in the battery have to have certain % in terms of value (a) to be "extracted or processed or recycled" (b) in the US or other country with a free trade agreement with the US. As you can imagine, most of these minerals are coming from the countries that do not have free trade agreement with the US. To identify the activities in the process (b) above is not an easy task and will involve all the suppliers in the process. I think that's why it takes so long for the treasury to come up with the guidance on this.

Regardless what the guidance treasury will come up with, it is presummed that none of the auto makers will meet this requirement. That's why it is anticipated that Tesla buyers will lose the $3,750 credits when the treasury guidance on the critical mineral requirement is released.

If you are interested, here is the treasury white paper that I based off.

You spelled that out exactly. It's the 1st requirement that is in question. All they did was delay the 1st requirement until "March" when they can clarify.

Update:
MYLR Midnight Silver Metallic, 19" Gemini
OD 1/14 1:00pm CST
EDD Originally gave Jan-March
EDD changed to Jan 26 - Feb 23 on 1/18
EDD changed to Feb 3- Feb 17 on 1/27
EDD changed to Feb 12-19 and VIN assigned at 8:30 pm 1/29
EDD changed to Feb 6-15 on 2/4
Text received to schedule delivery: 9:00 am (CST), Sunday, 2/5
Delivery scheduled 2/11
PF668xxx

Well,I couldn't contain myself and stopped by the dealership this morning before they opened (my delivery is scheduled for tomorrow). After looking at quite a few Austin-built cars, I did find mine (Fremont build). In my preliminary inspection, almost all of the panel gaps were uniform, and I could not see any paint defects, although the car was quite dirty and covered with frost (I'm in MN). The only things I noticed were that both rear doors seemed just a little out of alignment, since the door and wheel well trim were not completely flush. The trim was proud on the driver side and the door was slightly proud on the passenger side. Also, I can confirm that this MYLR Fremont car has matrix headlights. Please see photos. The car also had a rear luggage cover in place. I spaced out and forgot to look for mudflaps and PPF, but I think these are to be installed prior to taking delivery.

I will point out the door alignment issues when I take delivery, but I am wondering if any of you have experience or thoughts about this?

P.S. I'm having some problems with uploading images... Will try to post these later.

Attachments

• IMG_4221 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4221 (1).jpeg
    619.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4222 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4222 (1).jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4223 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4223 (1).jpeg
    929.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
OD 1/16 (around 7PM ET). Delivery tasks completed by 9AM 1/17.
MYLR White/Black/19
EDD1: March 4-March 31
EDD2: February 20-March 20

Based on some of the other posts, I wouldn't be surprised to see my date slip a bit, especially because I got the cheapest MYLR possible. Hoping to still get the full tax credit but I'm pretty much committed at this point.

I stood in line before the local store opened to put down $1,000 and reserve a M3 almost 7 years ago. Ended up not getting the car due to a myriad of factors (finances, cost of first builds, tax credit expiring, etc..), so I can wait another few weeks.

?????? again what has this got to do with the statement that is clear as daylight: "Bottom line is that it is disrespectful to not honor the order in which customers have placed their orders."
A message from Tesla in the idealistic world that rugox has created for himself:

Dear rugox, I know that we had previously estimated that you could come pickup your Model Y today, and YES in fact your car is sitting here at our lot, ready for you to receive it! It is beautiful and ready to go for you, fresh off the factory line because as you live in Los Angeles, and this is very close to our Fremont Factory. Unfortunately, we do see in our system that one of our Alaskan customers, Jimbo5467 has placed an order for his Model Y just moments before you... and you know how much we respect our customers; so much that we only allow customers to receive their orders in the exact order that they were received. So unfortunately, you will have to wait for us to process, ship and ocean frieght Jimbo5467's car to Ketchikan, Alaska... This process sometimes takes 2-3 weeks... but we respect all of our customer SO much that you must absolutely wait until every person in front of you has received their orders before you can take delivery of yours....
-Best Regards, The most respectful company in the world... Tesla.

Tesla is going to look the car over today and get back to me on what the fix would be. I suspect it would be repainting the right side (rear door to bumper) and bondo plus repaint for the driver side doors. But I’m not an expert on what the damage is and we’ll see if maybe it wouldn’t be a drastic fix like that.
Ughhh! I feel for you. I would not accept a car that requires a repaint and body work which I think that devalues the vehicle. I hope this works out in your favor.

Reactions: Cyclone
A message from Tesla in the idealistic world that rugox has created for himself:

Dear rugox, I know that we had previously estimated that you could come pickup your Model Y today, and YES in fact your car is sitting here at our lot, ready for you to receive it! It is beautiful and ready to go for you, fresh off the factory line because as you live in Los Angeles, and this is very close to our Fremont Factory. Unfortunately, we do see in our system that one of our Alaskan customers, Jimbo5467 has placed an order for his Model Y just moments before you... and you know how much we respect our customers; so much that we only allow customers to receive their orders in the exact order that they were received. So unfortunately, you will have to wait for us to process, ship and ocean frieght Jimbo5467's car to Ketchikan, Alaska... This process sometimes takes 2-3 weeks... but we respect all of our customer SO much that you must absolutely wait until every person in front of you has received their orders before you can take delivery of yours....
-Best Regards, The most respectful company in the world... Tesla.
Your post makes no sense because that's not even how Tesla does it. Nice try buddy, try again.

It bothers me a little that there are 20 MYSRs within 200 miles of me that I could buy today, 3 at the lot just 5 miles from my house. I wish they would have skipped making those available and manufactured the MYLR or MYP that everyone ordered... Maybe my MYLR could have been produced a couple of days sooner.... schedule delivery a few days sooner...
I thought I was done refreshing the app every 10 minutes once I got my vin. Now I refresh often to see if I can schedule my delivery yet.