Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the CU is not timely enough for you, you could us the Tesla financing and then refinance with the credit union after the fact, if they will still honor the lower rate. Something you may want to check with them. I have often taken a dealer's financing to get out the door with their best price, only to refinance with a credit union a month or two later.
CAUTION! To anyone planning to finance then refinance, make sure that your original loan allows you to pay off early with no penalty.

I see that many people who ordered after me 1/17 have also started getting their VIN assigned. I understand that it depends upon configuration. My config is Blue/Black/19 MYLR, pick up is from Mt Kisko NYC. I saw in the tracking sheet that someone from NY (1/18) got the VIN assigned. I can't think of any logical explanation. May be I am missing some big piece of this puzzle?
IMO Your car is in production/scheduled for production already. The 1/18 OD person who ordered same config as you but later got next available car (reject or canceled).

Austin has just as many poor quality reports. But just remember we only hear about the bad ones for the most part. When I picked up my car I had a quick inspection of 9 others on the lot (all Fremont as Austin don't come to Canada) and all of them looked great (of course didn't get to see the inside of them).
Fremont has matrix headlights and Austin doesn't so it's not all bad

Any idea what's going on with deliveries of MYSR? I am assuming that since these are going to be exclusively built out of Gigafactory Texas, the queue for these cars is going to look different from MYP or MYLR?

MYSR - White/Black/20"
OD: 2/3
EDD1: 2/21 - 3/21
EDD2 (updated 2/10): Feb - March 2023
You must have a VIN already, no? My understanding is because all MYAWD (SR) are selected out of inventory and not on the custom order page that VIN is assigned right away. I know that the most recent inventory dump of the MYAWDs were still scheduled to be built Feb 16-20 so my guess is if yours is still to be built this week you will get your more accurate EDD as soon as it is built.

100%

Demand and Teslas agile environment is probably the reason for the "dynamic" scheduling, however it would certainly reduce the level of agita if Tesla could keep us updated as to what is going on and why - we as customers have our own schedules/commitments too. Of course the level of annoyance corresponds to the level of desire for these vehicles...
I would have had 50% less stress if I knew things like "scheduled for production mid next week, vin assigned shortly after", "now that you have a vin, you will receive a request to schedule appointment by X date". Although, none of that would have been an huge issue if we didn't have all the swirl around the tax credit. When I bought my M3LR last year, I think I refreshed the app maybe once a day to make sure I didn't miss something. Frustrating that I didn't have more detail, but not stressful. I pretty much refreshed the app and web dozens of times a day starting about 1 week after my order in Jan for the MYLR.

Reactions: erktrek
I am in the northeast and my VIN was assigned today but my delivery is two weeks out. So clearly, its being assigned when its either built or is ready for transportation. There is no way that its at the delivery center and they will wait for two weeks to deliver.
I live in PA, and my VIN was assigned 2/8, and that’s the day the car came out of production (as stated by my SA). The EDD is 2/23 - 3/2. They texted me today to tell me to schedule delivery, and the available dates are at the beginning of that time range. I should be able to take delivery next Thursday if I decide that I still want it.

A few reminders for chronic topics of misconception in this thread:

1) Nobody knows when the IRS guidance on the tax credit will become public, exactly how they will structure the changes, or when the changes will go into effect. The guidance was estimated to be released in March, that does not mean that it will go into effect in March. There will possibly be a comment period before anything goes into effect to avoid chaos and economic disruption.

2) Seeing 5 or 6 people who have some feature in common get a similar change in EDD is basically meaningless. You don't have enough information to speculate that white interiors are now getting priority, that tow hitches have a supply chain disruption, or that any other random pattern you think you're noticing has meaning.

3) Changing your order because of something you saw here about points 1 or 2 is short-sighted.

4) All of the panicked order changes and inquiries to Tesla employees could be slowing things down for everyone. If we all just settle down, we will all get our orders faster and be happier about the whole process.

i don't know for sure but i heard that it could take a couple of weeks for cars to ship to the east coast. I watched a video on youtube with Elon speaking and thats what he said..and usually it gets shipped via train then on a 18 wheeler truck to the delivery center.
I would assume at least a week to two weeks. I got my vin on 2/8 and the delivery estimate was 2/19 - 2/26. I assume that means they anticipated the vehicle arriving at local delivery by 17th or 18th at the earliest as it was being shipped from Austin to Virginia. I assume the local store needs time to prep and finish paperwork and then deal with delivery slots.

1) Nobody knows when the IRS guidance on the tax credit will become public, exactly how they will structure the changes, or when the changes will go into effect. The guidance was estimated to be released in March, that does not mean that it will go into effect in March. There will possibly be a comment period before anything goes into effect to avoid chaos and economic disruption.

according to this it says just issuing a notice (read not the rule itself) will halve the tax credit. its very confusing to say the least but i hope you are right.

Treasury and the IRS plan to issue a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in March 2023 that will trigger the applicability of those requirements.

2) Seeing 5 or 6 people who have some feature in common get a similar change in EDD is basically meaningless. You don't have enough information to speculate that white interiors are now getting priority, that tow hitches have a supply chain disruption, or that any other random pattern you think you're noticing has meaning.

3) Changing your order because of something you saw here about points 1 or 2 is short-sighted.

4) All of the panicked order changes and inquiries to Tesla employees could be slowing things down for everyone. If we all just settle down, we will all get our orders faster and be happier about the whole process.
Point 1 has been a big stressor for everyone. There are so many things that could play out from this is the way it is on day 1, or here is what it will be in 30 days, or we are still trying to figure out what words mean, check back in 2 months, or etc.... At the very least, I would hope they say if you ordered prior to today, you follow the existing guidance, everyone else, here is the interpretation starting today. However, I am still psyched that I could buy a MYLR for 13k less than I could before plus at lest $3,750 tax credit and probably another $3,750 before it is all said and done.

I haven't really seen any Fremont specific quality issues called out with recent deliveries in this thread! Most people are wanting Fremont because cars are coming with the upgraded headlights!
Fremonts build are in fact better considering they have been building upscale models like S X and Model YP while Austin was intended to build mass market lower end teslas . Also Considering Elons penchant for cutting corners and lowering costs , I would be surprised if Austin’s built cars are better than Fremont

You can add another myth to the list that Austin built cars are of better quality than Fremont

Any idea what's going on with deliveries of MYSR? I am assuming that since these are going to be exclusively built out of Gigafactory Texas, the queue for these cars is going to look different from MYP or MYLR?

MYSR - White/Black/20"
OD: 2/3
EDD1: 2/21 - 3/21
EDD2 (updated 2/10): Feb - March 2023
I see MYSR come up all the time in local inventory. If you want to pick up one of those, you can probably get it done quickly if you see one that matches. I've seen a lot of those over the last week show up in the VA inventory.

Point 1 has been a big stressor for everyone. There are so many things that could play out from this is the way it is on day 1, or here is what it will be in 30 days, or we are still trying to figure out what words mean, check back in 2 months, or etc.... At the very least, I would hope they say if you ordered prior to today, you follow the existing guidance, everyone else, here is the interpretation starting today. However, I am still psyched that I could buy a MYLR for 13k less than I could before plus at lest $3,750 tax credit and probably another $3,750 before it is all said and done.

yeah...the price drop was pretty much what got me to purchase the model y.

the tax break will be a bonus.

i needed a new car anyways since i'm currently driving my sister's car.

According to this it says just issuing a notice (read not the rule itself) will halve the tax credit. its very confusing to say the least but i hope you are right.

Right. According to the federal register's guide to the rulemaking process (Outlined here Federal Register :: Request Access):
"What is the purpose of the proposed rule? The
 proposed
 rule,
 or 
Notice 
of 
Proposed 
Rulemaking 
(NPRM),
 is 
the 
official 
document 
that
 announces 
and 
explains 
the 
agency’s 
plan 
to
 address 
a
 problem
 or 
accomplish 
a 
goal. 

All
 proposed 
rules 
must 
be 
published 
in 
the 
Federal 
Register 
to 
notify 
the 
public
and 
to 
give 
them
 an 
opportunity 
to 
submit 
comments. 

The 
proposed 
rule 
and
 the 
public 
comments 
received
 on
 it 
form 
the 
basis 
of 
the 
final 
rule."

Noob here. After giving myself a dope-slap for not ordering a MYLR immediately after the $13K price drop last month, I ordered a MYP Blue/White on 2/6 so that I could get delivery before the end of March. Gave myself another dope-slap two days later when all the MYSRs dropped into inventory. I happened to be on the Tesla website less than an hour after the drop, and immediately called my local SC to change my order. The SA said she needed manager approval as the MYSR was in pre-production. I ran some errands, and checked the website a couple hours later, and the car I wanted wasn't there anymore. Texted the SC again and was told someone else had grabbed it. The SA suggested that I place an order for another one before they were all spoken for. I texted back that I didn't want to lose $250 for cancelling my first order, but heard nothing back for the rest of the day. The next day, I called the SC and had another talk with the same SA, who more or less assured me the $250 from my cancelled order would be applied to my new order. I hung up and placed an order for an "existing" MYSR Blue/Black.
Now it's five days later and I'm still waiting to hear back from the SC. I have an EDD of 3/12 - 3/31 for the MYP, but no VIN, and a VIN for the MYSR, but no EDD. Also, the delivery location for the MYSR is not my local SC (44 miles away), but another one across the state (188 miles away).
Any thoughts/suggestions/similar experiences?
So I talked to a SA and got things mostly straightened out. She told me to cancel the first order and they'd work on getting the order fee credited. She said I'd have to pay th $500 transport fee to reschedule the delivery location. I asked why I had to pay a transport fee for a car that isn't even out of the factory yet. She said it's because it was originally scheduled for local delivery only at the other SC. Seems like a pretty lame reason to me. We're not getting off to a very good start.😡