Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called a SA about my delivery being pushed back by 1 day daily. The SA told me, "I think you have a misconception about the EV tax credit. Tesla's knowledge is that the tax credit is valid until END of March. So as long as you receive your delivery before the END of March, you should be eligible for the full tax credit."

How true is this? Does Tesla have insider information about the IRS tax credit?
It's not impossible that they have some insider info. I'm sure that Tesla is involved in discussions with the IRS. How likely that a random SA has that info? Very hard to guess.

I just called a SA about my delivery being pushed back by 1 day daily. The SA told me, "I think you have a misconception about the EV tax credit. Tesla's knowledge is that the tax credit is valid until END of March. So as long as you receive your delivery before the END of March, you should be eligible for the full tax credit."

How true is this? Does Tesla have insider information about the IRS tax credit?
I inquired about this too. I was told that the federal tax credit amount can be updated any time during March, not necessarily certain for March 1st. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Destructis5150
There seem to be a number of posts with the assumption (or concern?) that the tax credit rules will be changed on March 1, or in early March.
I might have missed this among the various messages...is there anything new/recent that indicates the gov't will resolve this by then, other than the January messaging that it will be cleared up in March?
With the debt crisis looming and the usual myriad of issues, I wouldn't be surprised if the Treasury Dept. is still working on this in April or May.
Q4. Do the new critical mineral and battery componentsrequirements apply? (added December 29, 2022)
A4. Not yet. The critical mineral and battery component requirements under § 30D(e) will apply for vehicles placed in service after proposed guidance on these requirements is issued. The publication of these FAQs is not the issuance of proposed guidance with respect to the critical mineral and battery component requirements under § 30D(e) and does not trigger the applicability of those requirements. The Treasury Department and the IRS will explicitly identify when they have issued proposed guidance with respect to the critical mineral and battery component requirements under § 30D(e). However, vehicles ordered or purchased prior to but placed in service after Treasury and the IRS issue this proposed guidance will be subject to the critical mineral and battery component requirements. This proposed guidance is expected to be issued in March 2023.

Source: IRS FAQs FS-2023-04, February 2023 : https://www.irs.gov/pub/taxpros/fs-2023-04.pdf still lists the "March 2023" date, but this is the latest IRS reference I could find.

Went to the Tesla store in Long Beach today and seen maybe 30 model Y's in different states of readiness for delivery, some look like they just rolled off of the carrier as they were all in the customer parking area with emergency flashers still on, most had the QR code with build date still on showing 2/14, PA vins all of them except one i think, numbers scattered too, PA071 to 075 just in the few with 2/14 build stickers still on, PA 062 thru PA076 ready for pick up with temp plates on dash and customer names, My original order on 2/11 of a 074 vin was replaced with an 080 vin that was built earlier on 2/19 as mine as of 2/21 was not yet built, still expecting delivery by end of the week but no hard date yet, just 2/27-3/7, Those of us who initially thought we could watch vin's to see how close our delivery date is can toss that out the window! I think maybe the build dates that are showing up if you catch them before stickers are removed would be a more accurate guess, 13 days from Austin to Long Beach today, oh and in case anyone is interested 85% or more the gemini 19" wheels

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpeg
    IMG_0024.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 83
"Growing pains," now that's the first time I've read that euphemism for "catches fire and burns your house down." 🤣 #7,413
Yeah I was trying to be nice and support all EV efforts - I do think Teslas are the best (but maybe not the most fancy) out there right now. Also I don't think the problems are endemic to the platform though but as they say "you pays your money you takes your chances"!

Reactions: ATG1
Is it 55k before the destination fees ? My configuration has a total of $54,990 ( MYLR MSM/W/19)
However, it jumps up to $56,630.00 after adding the destination and order fees.
OD 1/19
Official rebate program website (Home | Charge Up New Jersey) says: "Have an MSRP1 of below $55,000"
And you should see it under Financing tab in the app (this rebate is applied automatically if your car is eligible):
1677532855678.png

As understand, there are no sales taxes for EV cars in NJ, what saves you 6% more :)

• Informative
Reactions: Teasler and erktrek
Official rebate program website (Home | Charge Up New Jersey) says: "Have an MSRP1 of below $55,000"
And you should see it under Financing tab in the app (this rebate is applied automatically if your car is eligible):
View attachment 912037

As understand, there are no sales taxes for EV cars in NJ, what saves you 6% more :)
Yep can confirm - the issue for us is that darn tow hitch put us over so no NJ rebate.. yeah was initially looking at installing afterwards but prefer factory build if possible.

"Growing pains," now that's the first time I've read that euphemism for "catches fire and burns your house down." 🤣 #7,413
I've owned hundreds of devices (thermostats, power tools, outdoor power equipment, phones, laptops, tablets, toothbrushes, earphones, watches, power banks, test equipment, wireless speakers, flashlights, massagers...the list goes on and on) with with Li-ion batteries over the years and never had one catch fire, but there's still that tiny bit of fear every time I stick my AirPods in my ears that they'll blow my earlobes off while going for an evening jog. :)

I'll be slightly nervous to park an EV in my attached garage, too, but not nervous enough to park it outside in the elements.

I am willing to bet that more houses will burn down in the coming years due to substandard EVSE installations such as inappropriate receptacles or wiring than battery fires.

EDIT: No sooner than I posted this reply, I saw this in the news. 🔥

Last edited:
How about this theory, Some Tesla locations have better managers and better organized so they can schedule delivery sooner. Another person with exact same vin assigned date and exactly same OD 1/16 and build date 2/16 from Austin got their car picked up in LosAngeles and in OC the tesla dealer and SA are just lazy. It took two days my SA to reply. This is why in my case I still didn’t get scheduled delivery. New EDD Feb 27 - March 7.

How about this theory, Some Tesla locations have better managers and better organized so they can schedule delivery sooner. Another person with exact same vin assigned date and exactly same OD 1/16 and build date 2/16 from Austin got their car picked up in LosAngeles and in OC the tesla dealer and SA are just lazy. It took two days my SA to reply. This is why in my case I still didn’t get scheduled delivery. New EDD Feb 27 - March 7.
How about this theory, Some Tesla locations have better managers and better organized so they can schedule delivery sooner.
- Agree

I've owned hundreds of devices (thermostats, power tools, outdoor power equipment, phones, laptops, tablets, toothbrushes, earphones, watches, power banks, test equipment, wireless speakers, flashlights, massagers...the list goes on and on) with with Li-ion batteries over the years and never had one catch fire, but there's still that tiny bit of fear every time I stick my AirPods in my ears that they'll blow my earlobes off while going for an evening jog. :)

I'll be slightly nervous to park an EV in my attached garage, too, but not nervous enough to park it outside in the elements.

I am willing to bet that more houses will burn down in the coming years due to substandard EVSE installations such as inappropriate receptacles or wiring than battery fires.

EDIT: No sooner than I posted this reply, I saw this in the news. 🔥

Currently Ram Trucks are being recalled, advise owners to park outside and away from anything that could catch fire..

Ford recalls 520K vehicles after only 20 cars catch fire..

From earlier this year Hyundai and Kia telling owners to park outside...

Nothing to see here..... 😉

Currently Ram Trucks are being recalled, advise owners to park outside and away from anything that could catch fire..

Ford recalls 520K vehicles after only 20 cars catch fire..

From earlier this year Hyundai and Kia telling owners to park outside...

Nothing to see here..... 😉
Reminds me of the Mini Coopers catching fire a bit back.

• Informative
Reactions: Mainuh and erktrek
View attachment 912037

MY LR was a great deal for NJ buyers because of the $2000 state rebate (if purchase was below $55k), $7500 federal rebate, no sales tax, and some additional stuff for the charger installation.

After all the credits (assuming you get them fully) and even the Tesla fees, the MY LR probably comes out to somewhere around $45k.