Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All those whose dates were pulled in to March, you may want to call the TESLA phone number and ask for your soft delivery date (which is what they've planned for now). After looking at reddit forums. and having seen people call, I decided to call as well. After an hour's wait, I got through and they gave me a rough date of April 12 to April 16. They can do everything they can to deliver in March (or so he said), but for now they see in their system that this is setup for April 12 to April 16. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news. 😢😢😢

@davemc @erktrek @BobSNC fingers crossed. They just kept saying March is just an EDD which they will try to fulfil but for now April 12 to April 16 is the date they see in their system. Either these guys have the updated date, or they don't have the updated date after the dates were pulled in to March. Why would they pull the dates into March 2 days back? Beats me!!!
We saw this same behaviour in December. Even back in November people were given very short ranges of Dec 29-31. But in December we never really got to see the results as demand dropped off a cliff and almost everyone got their overpriced car.
I think the reason is Tesla wants to prepare people to be ready for delivery EOQ if they can find a car to get to you last minute. Basically if someone backs out of a deal they may get you a VIN EOQ with very little notice as car would already be in transit or at the DC.
Your normal schedule is mid April but if you are lucky you may get one at EOQ.

All those whose dates were pulled in to March, you may want to call the TESLA phone number and ask for your soft delivery date (which is what they've planned for now). After looking at reddit forums. and having seen people call, I decided to call as well. After an hour's wait, I got through and they gave me a rough date of April 12 to April 16. They can do everything they can to deliver in March (or so he said), but for now they see in their system that this is setup for April 12 to April 16. Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news. 😢😢😢

@davemc @erktrek @BobSNC fingers crossed. They just kept saying March is just an EDD which they will try to fulfil but for now April 12 to April 16 is the date they see in their system. Either these guys have the updated date, or they don't have the updated date after the dates were pulled in to March. Why would they pull the dates into March 2 days back? Beats me!!!
🤞🤞🤞Their EDD ranges are interesting.. ours is still Apr 2 - May 7 but your update gives me some hope.. I dunno if I prefer end of Q1 or start of Q2 delivery all things considered though. Worried about quality issues during the final quarter "push". Suspect we are on the "bubble" between the two and it could go either way.

So now of course on the waiting for tesla site my original configuration, LR w/b/19/TOW, shows up in inventory here in MN. I had already switched to the AWD due to being pushed out to April/may and have a vin but no delivery scheduled. I reserved the LR one and will be heading to the service center when they open to see what can be done. I may have to eat the second order fee and pay the higher price than I originally locked in at, but since the build dates are only 3 days apart I'm willing to do it. Fingers crossed that they will be able to do something...

How long after you placed your order did you guys get your first EDD?

I ordered a MYP if that matters. No trailer hitch. MSM w/ white interior.
I don't remember exactly but it wasn't that long after - original was just the generic March - April then a few days later shifted to Mar 20 - Mar 31.

Note: I would NOT take these EDDs too seriously due to the high risk of major anxiety issues..o_O

Last edited:
Do you have matrix headlights? If not, then I def won't.
You won’t on an Austin-built car, but you may decide that’s best if you had experience with both. My 3 has the same lights as your Y will have and my Y has matrix lights — I much prefer the 3’s. The matrix lights look like you are seeing the projected light through a wire screen, with dark lines throughout the projected light. Meanwhile, the older style has a uniform light spread.

Have you checked the tire replacement costs for both? My last research at tirerack shows $1300 for MYLR and $2,000 for MYP. Considering that your MYP tires will need to be replaced sooner, my estimate is that tire cost difference is about $3.4k for 80k miles.
I didn't do the math exactly but figured a total ownership difference of about 3K over the life of the vehicle. My current Red MYLR configuration is only $500 cheaper than my MSM MYP configuration that I switched from so most of that would have been through tires and insurance costs..I originally wanted a MYLR and only chose the MYP because of what I believed to be quicker delivery for my order date (02/03) vs MYLR so the decision was not very hard for me. I'll take the slightly better range of the MYLR on 20" wheels..

Edit: As others have mentioned: if you're nice and reach out to the SA with a good reason, they may let you schedule a DD earlier rather than waiting for the automated process to send you the scheduling link.

Thanks. Its a bit frustrating to know that the supposed "in inventory" vehicle you switched to has been sitting at the factory for about a week since it was built..and they'r saying nearly three weeks from build date to get it from California to Colorado. That said, I'll be flying to Colorado Springs to pick it up so I probably want an assured DD before I book flights and the best they've been able to tell me so far is that the vehicle is scheduled for an inspection in CO on the 20th. Not sure if that will be moved and the vehicle is shipped sooner as I believe that most of the time between now and then will be spent sitting in Fremont..With my luck the IRS will like come out with their updated guidance a day before I pick my vehicle up.. :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: scionbox
You won’t on an Austin-built car, but you may decide that’s best if you had experience with both. My 3 has the same lights as your Y will have and my Y has matrix lights — I much prefer the 3’s. The matrix lights look like you are seeing the projected light through a wire screen, with dark lines throughout the projected light. Meanwhile, the older style has a uniform light spread.
Yeah, I finally got to ride in a MY with Matrix and I prefer the Premium lights on my MY. Maybe if Tesla enables some matrix features in the future I'd change my mind.
I think most people have no idea why they are craving Matrix lights...just is blown out of proportion on the internet.

"I worked on carbon reporting software for years and companies have to ensure that there's not double coverage of GHGs. it's literally a science to track all of that data that goes well beyond what I can fathom. I'm definitely an idiot, but the ownership of emissions and delineation of who is responsible for what makes me downright brain dead."

No, you're not brain dead or an idiot, you're just not a politician. ;-) It's the politicians who will decide where to assign the blame. And as one politico said to his staff, " Make sure you assign the blame where it will do the most good."

Last year, "The Biden administration proposed a new rule today that would require federal contractors to disclose their greenhouse gas emissions and make efforts to limit their pollution. ... "major” contractors ... would also have to disclose “relevant categories” of their indirect pollution, called Scope 3 emissions in technical speak, which might include pollution from their own supply chains and from the use of their products."

"Federal agencies will have to find ways of tracking and reporting their downstream carbon emissions, down to the level of their employees’ commuting and business travel, under a new set of White House instructions."
This is going to be SO easy. Those things always are.........................when you are telling someone else to do them..............................

Reactions: ATG1 and slyderz3
Just tried to switch to inventory car using chat feature. Only difference was paint color. Chat agent said old pricing would not be honored, I would need to pay an extra $2000. Plus another $1000 for switching from blue to black. No thanks.

Very frustrating, given that others have been able to do this and still get original pricing.

We saw this same behaviour in December. Even back in November people were given very short ranges of Dec 29-31. But in December we never really got to see the results as demand dropped off a cliff and almost everyone got their overpriced car.
I think the reason is Tesla wants to prepare people to be ready for delivery EOQ if they can find a car to get to you last minute. Basically if someone backs out of a deal they may get you a VIN EOQ with very little notice as car would already be in transit or at the DC.
Your normal schedule is mid April but if you are lucky you may get one at EOQ.
Yeah... it's all supply, demand, logistics, production... blah blah and several factors. Today in reddit I read someone who ordered on 01/14 had his date pushed out to March 30 to May 5. Imagine that person's woes!!! White interior, albeit. I did notice a pattern even in other threads in this forum that white interiors are getting royally screwed of late, and I've seen MSM and blue exteriors get bumped up... which leads me to believe they're having shortages of the former and surplus of the latter. Again, it's just my inference - may or may not be true.
I'll go by "unless you're assigned a VIN, your EDDs mean nothing" and "if I had the production ordering, sequencing and delivery insights of Tesla, I could make money out of running a consulting firm" 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: xxxadixxx
I didn't do the math exactly but figured a total ownership difference of about 3K over the life of the vehicle. My current Red MYLR configuration is only $500 cheaper than my MSM MYP configuration that I switched from so most of that would have been through tires and insurance costs..I originally wanted a MYLR and only chose the MYP because of what I believed to be quicker delivery for my order date (02/03) vs MYLR so the decision was not very hard for me. I'll take the slightly better range of the MYLR on 20" wheels..

Thanks. Its a bit frustrating to know that the supposed "in inventory" vehicle you switched to has been sitting at the factory for about a week since it was built..and they'r saying nearly three weeks from build date to get it from California to Colorado. That said, I'll be flying to Colorado Springs to pick it up so I probably want an assured DD before I book flights and the best they've been able to tell me so far is that the vehicle is scheduled for an inspection in CO on the 20th. Not sure if that will be moved and the vehicle is shipped sooner as I believe that most of the time between now and then will be spent sitting in Fremont..With my luck the IRS will like come out with their updated guidance a day before I pick my vehicle up.. :mad:
I see. In your case, the purchase prices of either are almost same. The ownership cost is the key factor. The cost of tires, insurance, efficiency would be more than $3K over the life of the vehicle. My guess would be it is at least $3K difference for 80k miles related to tires and efficiecy (303miles vs 320 miles) and insurance variance annually. Your wallet will be happier in the long run.

Reactions: Vomhorizon
Just tried to switch to inventory car using chat feature. Only difference was paint color. Chat agent said old pricing would not be honored, I would need to pay an extra $2000. Plus another $1000 for switching from blue to black. No thanks.

Very frustrating, given that others have been able to do this and still get original pricing.
Have you tried logging into the website then clicking "Manage" then "Edit Design"? That's how I was able to make changes last week while keeping the original pricing.

Reactions: Mainuh and 455dan
Yeah... it's all supply, demand, logistics, production... blah blah and several factors. Today in reddit I read someone who ordered on 01/14 had his date pushed out to March 30 to April 5. Imagine that person's woes!!! White interior, albeit. I did notice a pattern even in other threads in this forum that white interiors are getting royally screwed of late, and I've seen MSM and blue exteriors get bumped up... which leads me to believe they're having shortages of the former and surplus of the latter. Again, it's just my inference - may or may not be true.
I'll go by "unless you're assigned a VIN, your EDDs mean nothing" and "if I had the production ordering, sequencing and delivery insights of Tesla, I could make money out of running a consulting firm" 🤷‍♂️
Looks like they had white seats to build until Mar 7th (looking at waiting for Tesla inventory) but after Mar 7th it’s all black

Reactions: Mr_Joe and FanboyNC
Have you tried logging into the website then clicking "Manage" then "Edit Design"? That's how I was able to make changes last week while keeping the original pricing.
Thought of that, but no guarantee that it would get me the inventory car, and could push back my EDD if not.

Will stick with original order, and likely cancel if rebate drops. EDD is 3/19 to 3/31, O/D 1/22.

I did ask the chat agent if there was any possibility of getting my car by 3/19, and got the canned response ("EDD is our most accurate estimate . . . ." )

Last edited:
Reactions: erktrek and L1TR
That may not be a bad idea. I may already have my Model Y had I not made a late change to wheels and tow. The logistics of manufacturing nearly 1,000 Model Ys every single day, matching them to buyers, transporting them to hundreds of showrooms across the country, and estimating guessing when they'll be delivered is challenging enough. Customers changing their orders before this process only complicates things because Tesla are constantly having to readjust production. Tesla must be banging their heads against the walls! I'm surprised they even allow ordered to be edited once placed.