Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I thought about just installing the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and use the mobile charger as well. But after doing some research, I finally decided to install the wall connector, and also keep the mobile charger for travel need, etc.. If I may, I want to share my reasonings - not necessarily expert opinion as I have little to no knowledge when it comes to electrical stuff. The wall connector has couple of advantages - depending on how you install the NEMA 14-50 receptacle. For example, it has a built-in GFCI (or something that helps from surges and overheating etc.). I assume you can install a GFCI breaker when installing NEMA 14-50 receptacle, which will take care of this - but still seek professional opinion to be certain. The other advantage of having the wall connector is that it is direct wired to the power source, which maybe better than having a second termination point (NEMA 14-50 receptacle) before the charging cable is connected to the car. Pulling constantly 40 AMP for several hours maybe good with direct power source. As I said, these are some of the points I gathered when watched some YouTube videos, etc. And, it would be good if there is someone who is more knowledgable and have professional experience as an electrician to provide additional guidance. I just wanted to be safe when it comes to electrical stuff.

I'm having our electrician install 2 "chargers" - one is a Tesla charger hard-wired in our smallish garage. The other is a NEMA 14-50 outlet to be mounted on the outside of our house near the driveway. Found an RV outlet enclosure that can be used thanks to a previous poster. The only issue is the outlet that comes with the enclosure is kind of crap for EV charging so am replacing it with a Hubbell (NOTE: slight mods required - hole in the plate needs to be larger).

Figured if going to the expense of wiring, might as well put 2 separate lines in and allow for some future proofing / guests.

Spoke with an SA to see if my vehicle (Fremont build date of 03/04) had shipped or not. I was informed that the status changed to transit on Sunday so its on its way with the journey to CO taking anywhere from five to nine days according to him. So for those CO buyers with early March build dates (Fremont) it could be that they decided to ship a bunch of vehicles together. He expects mine to arrive on 03/20 and for me to get notified around Friday in terms of scheduling delivery for next week..I tried to see if I could get a delivery date sooner since I need to book air-travel to Colorado Springs and he said he couldn't offer that until the vehicle is about 2 days from its destination...
The cars are moving for the PNW.

Called an SA today to move my pick up date forward " if" my MYP would arrive early.

She checked and the car was delivered to service center on 3/11.

She said they are hauling a Lot of cars to centers, trying to get them out the door by 3/31.

My Performance model is a 707--- VIN out of Fremont.
The SA was able to bump up my pick up by 4 days. So it doesn't hurt to ask and as Best in Tesla always says "Be Nice"

Good Luck Everyone Hopefully everyone will get a rushed VIN and come and get it in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks bro.. no compromise on the Gemini wheels... :D
I went to the site to do my usual check 5 times a day...in No Cal...there are two MYLR MSM close to my order but with 20in wheels...waiting for Tesla site.
FYI, I wanted to see if the available car would show up if I was browsing from Tesla app, so I logged in and clicked below the RN# - "manage order" which launches web browser, the car in question was $3500 more based on the link to Tesla website to view cars available sooner. My order is for MYLR MSM/19''/Black/Tow.

Also, as it did not make sense, I chatted with rep via the Tesla web site chat program to inquire (as I am antsy here with an upcoming EDD) and the the price was $58990, which is $2500 more for 20 in wheels and an adjustment of $500 for base price difference.

My order date was 1/26 and EDD is currently 3/15-29. Chat Rep indicated there was no specific ETA shown yet for either my order or the one showing on the Tesla website/waiting for tesla.com shows 3/14... for the MSM 20in. /black/tow.

Sorry for the long message, your rep and I assume persistence on original base price may make the difference in over all price for an update on price for an inventory model. I did not push on price as I was not sold on the 20in wheels so I'm sticking with my current order with Gemini 19in wheels and looking forward to multiple EDD updates when 3/15 hits as there is no VIN yet. ;)

Take care everyone and thanks for sharing your updates.

I ordered a MY AWD from existing inventory on Feb 11. On Feb ~22nd my estimated delivery date was changed from Feb 24 - Mar 23 to TBD. As of today it remains TBD. VIN is PA0738xx. Any ideas what’s going on? SA said “I’ve never seen this before, I’ll get back to you” which he has yet to do. Appreciate any clues you might have.
Same order, MY AWD SR from existing inventory OD 02/09, VIN is 0734xx, stuck on TBD for weeks now. Spoke with the rep last week and she said the car is still in pre-production (even with the VIN assigned!!!) and it takes them on average 6 weeks for these MY SRs in Austin. Gave me a soft date of the last week of March.

Hi, I thought about just installing the NEMA 14-50 receptacle and use the mobile charger as well. But after doing some research, I finally decided to install the wall connector, and also keep the mobile charger for travel need, etc.. If I may, I want to share my reasonings - not necessarily expert opinion as I have little to no knowledge when it comes to electrical stuff. The wall connector has couple of advantages - depending on how you install the NEMA 14-50 receptacle. For example, it has a built-in GFCI (or something that helps from surges and overheating etc.). I assume you can install a GFCI breaker when installing NEMA 14-50 receptacle, which will take care of this - but still seek professional opinion to be certain. The other advantage of having the wall connector is that it is direct wired to the power source, which maybe better than having a second termination point (NEMA 14-50 receptacle) before the charging cable is connected to the car. Pulling constantly 40 AMP for several hours maybe good with direct power source. As I said, these are some of the points I gathered when watched some YouTube videos, etc. And, it would be good if there is someone who is more knowledgable and have professional experience as an electrician to provide additional guidance. I just wanted to be safe when it comes to electrical stuff.
If you may get an EV from a different manufacturer later, it's nice to have the NEMA 15-40 outlet. You can install both. Just the wall connector may be cheaper, since you don't need to run 4 wires.

Remember there is a tax rebate on home charger installations.

She said they are hauling a Lot of cars to centers, trying to get them out the door by 3/31.
Part of me is secretly hoping that the tax credit will end before I take delivery so I can keep that $60K in my wallet. :)

I'm by no mean having "buyers remorse" (How can I? I haven't even taken delivery yet!), it's just that there are enough negatives and uncertainties that I won't be disappointed if I don't end up with a new Model Y in my garage in the coming weeks.

Reactions: starise
Hey, I’ve been lurking for the past week or so, checking the Tesla app every few hours it feels like lol. Had a question about finding a car on waiting for Tesla. I have the discord notifications going. If a car is found, do I have to purchase another $250 to reserve it then call the delivery center to move it to my current order? Wondering how you all have handled that.

My order info is:
MY5LR W/B/19” - basic build
OD: 1/24 (1/23 at night technically)
EED: Feb-March
EED2: Mar 6-31
EDD3: March 9-31
EDD4: March 28-31

Still no VIN or anything from them since the email about trading in a car.

I text with my SA. The most recent information was me just calling Tesla customer support and speaking to someone there..
My e-mail SA was near useless. They didn’t offer up any helpful information and at times was flat out rude. I tried the text and they responded quickly and gave me detailed information (without me specifically asking).

Speaking of, they gave me the same March 20 arrival date for the CO shipments.

Reactions: Vomhorizon
I went to the site to do my usual check 5 times a day...in No Cal...there are two MYLR MSM close to my order but with 20in wheels...waiting for Tesla site.
FYI, I wanted to see if the available car would show up if I was browsing from Tesla app, so I logged in and clicked below the RN# - "manage order" which launches web browser, the car in question was $3500 more based on the link to Tesla website to view cars available sooner. My order is for MYLR MSM/19''/Black/Tow.

Also, as it did not make sense, I chatted with rep via the Tesla web site chat program to inquire (as I am antsy here with an upcoming EDD) and the the price was $58990, which is $2500 more for 20 in wheels and an adjustment of $500 for base price difference.

My order date was 1/26 and EDD is currently 3/15-29. Chat Rep indicated there was no specific ETA shown yet for either my order or the one showing on the Tesla website/waiting for tesla.com shows 3/14... for the MSM 20in. /black/tow.

Sorry for the long message, your rep and I assume persistence on original base price may make the difference in over all price for an update on price for an inventory model. I did not push on price as I was not sold on the 20in wheels so I'm sticking with my current order with Gemini 19in wheels and looking forward to multiple EDD updates when 3/15 hits as there is no VIN yet. ;)

Take care everyone and thanks for sharing your updates.
I'm paying cash... so I don't want to pay a penny extra to Tesla. I tried all possible options. Called up the 888 team a few times and also chatted on the web. Not one of them budged to adjust the inventory price to my MSRP price (plus or minus any additional options). Some others in this forum have had luck in doing so... wonderful and accommodative SAs they've all had :D .

Having exhausted that option, I guess I have no choice but to wait for my VIN. Who knows up to when the IRS tax credit will remain!! Will think about taking any decision when that happens. Until then, it's "stay put".

Last edited:
I'm paying cash... so I don't want to pay a penny extra to Tesla. I tried all possible options. Called up the 888 team a few times and also chatted on the web. Not one of them budged to adjust the inventory price to my MSRP price (plus or minus any additional options). Some others in this forum have had luck in doing so... wonderful and accommodative SAs they've all had :D .

Having exhausted that option, I guess I have no choice but to wait for my VIN. Who knows up to when the IRS tax credit will remain!! Will think about taking any decision when that happens. Until then, it's "stay put".
Someone here in Minnesota placed separate order to "secure" the inventory found and later switched the VIN to the original order after talking to the SA locally.

If you may get an EV from a different manufacturer later, it's nice to have the NEMA 15-40 outlet. You can install both. Just the wall connector may be cheaper, since you don't need to run 4 wires.

Remember there is a tax rebate on home charger installations.
Hi @bridge-player , totally agree - in addition, if I move or rent it or Air B&B or what not :). I also thought about this and initially wanted a 6/3 instead of 6/2 which is what you need for the Tesla wall connector. Having a 6/3 would've helped to install a NEMA 14-50 adaptor. But I also found out that some other non-Tesla charging stations can also use 6/2. So, if I move or sell, I'd take my wall connector and may install a non-Tesla charging station. So, I decided to use 6/2 and will use a 50 AMP breaker (although folks are using 60 AMP breaker, but it is not recommended). I have placed an order for a 6/2 25' wire through Home Depot last week, when it was about $84, and today I see it increased to $104!

Reactions: erktrek
Hey, I’ve been lurking for the past week or so, checking the Tesla app every few hours it feels like lol. Had a question about finding a car on waiting for Tesla. I have the discord notifications going. If a car is found, do I have to purchase another $250 to reserve it then call the delivery center to move it to my current order? Wondering how you all have handled that.

My order info is:
MY5LR W/B/19” - basic build
OD: 1/24 (1/23 at night technically)
EED: Feb-March
EED2: Mar 6-31
EDD3: March 9-31
EDD4: March 28-31

Still no VIN or anything from them since the email about trading in a car.
I chatted a Tesla rep on the website and she was able to move my reservation over to the existing inventory without charging another $250.

Yes... seen that... will lose the $250 for the other order though... but it's still better than paying the 2K increased price. Not a penny extra to Telsa for now ;)
🤝 I respect that. Wheels will be a main factor determining the ride quality and driving character. And everyone has their preference.

I hope you find an inventory one that matches what you ordered originally. At least that was when people spent the $250 to secure it. The benefit was mainly for an expedited delivery and enjoy the car sooner. There is a "slightly" increase of the getting the full $7,500 EV credit but I would not count on it.

Edit: See @phillyspecial post above. There is hope not spending a penny more ;) Just wait for the exact match show up in the inventory.

Last edited:
White, Black Interior, MYLR, 19" wheels
Phoenix, AZ
OD: 1/16(9pm)
1/17 - EDD: 2/4-3/4
2/3 - EDD 2/13-3/13
2/14 - EDD 2/28-3/28
2/28 - EDD 3/5-3/19
3/5 - EDD 3/26-3/31
3/13 - EDD 3/28-3/31

Obligatory back story
When IRS dropped the 55k tax credit limit on 2/3, I saw a MYP appear in local inventory, and we pulled the trigger on that. The responsible thing would have been to wait on the phone with Tesla and change our MYLR pre-order over to that, but I didn't want to risk MYP being picked up by someone else. So I spent another $250 on a deposit to claim the MYP. We picked it up on 2/6 been enjoying it since. But I figured I'd keep everyone updated with the MYLR we ordered on 1/16

My friend got an update today for his MSM/Black/19/no options (now 20")
OD: 2/5
EDD1: Apr 29 - June 10
Switched to 20" about 1 week ago
EDD2 (03/05): Mar 13-31
Big improvement for going 19 to 20...will see if they manage to get it to him by EOQ.
Delivery to Victoria, BC.
Update on my friend's order after switching from 19-20s on Feb 28th.
OD: 2/5
VIN received: 03/12 (or 03/13) PF707XXX
EDD: 03/23-03/31
Delivery to Victoria, BC, Canada.