Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of me is secretly hoping that the tax credit will end before I take delivery so I can keep that $60K in my wallet. :)

I'm by no mean having "buyers remorse" (How can I? I haven't even taken delivery yet!), it's just that there are enough negatives and uncertainties that I won't be disappointed if I don't end up with a new Model Y in my garage in the coming weeks.
I was just thinking about how much anxiety and time I would have saved if I was gleefully ignorant of the mid-January price reduction/tax credit. I used to be pretty positive towards Tesla and willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But somehow, through this process I've let them suck all the joy and excitement from me towards getting a new car.

Why Tesla has so many inventory but did not built our orders
The number of cars Tesla is building for inventory is relatively tiny. For example, there are currently 113 Model Ys in inventory according to WaitingForTesla.com as of this post. Tesla is making and delivering somewhere around 1,000 Model Ys per day, so the number of vehicles in inventory is only a few hour's worth of production.

The number of cars Tesla is building for inventory is relatively tiny. For example, there are currently 113 Model Ys in inventory according to WaitingForTesla.com as of this post. Tesla is making and delivering somewhere around 1,000 Model Ys per day, so the number of vehicles in inventory is only a few hour's worth of production.
Yes, the percentages are small. If building these random units causes even one car to not be delivered to a customer (who has submitted a non-refundable deposit and has been waiting months) is one too many.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about how much anxiety and time I would have saved if I was gleefully ignorant of the mid-January price reduction/tax credit. I used to be pretty positive towards Tesla and willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But somehow, through this process I've let them suck all the joy and excitement from me towards getting a new car.
Haha! As I've said before, I've obviously been aware of Tesla for years, but never seriously considered buying one because of the low benefit-to-cost ratio and because I've historically chased brands with high reliability and resale value (Honda has been my preferred brand for the last 15 years) and Tesla has a poor reputation for fit, finish, and reliability.

I've always been a technology geek and have a fondness for products that are largely defined by software. After I became aware of Tesla's price cuts and the tax credit, I felt that now was a good time to jump on one and see what it's like to actually own an EV. I may not like it and that's okay - I still have a Miata that I adore and I have no problem swapping the Tesla for another gasoline-powered vehicle. I suspect, however, that once I get a taste of EV convenience, torque, smoothness, quietness, low "fuel" cost, and no more oil changes or weekly trips to the gas station, I'll be hooked.

Sooo... I'm still holding out hope that the Model Y arrives before the $7,500 tax credit fades away - there's no point in surrendering my $250 "player's fee" until it's over. :)

Last edited:
New updates to federal tax wording on Tesla site:

Screenshot_20230313-223058.png

Like most of you, I've seen nothing but a reservation number and fluctuating EDD for nearly two months. The next milestone is getting a VIN - it seems like that day will never come. I just wanted to park this post so I can reflect on it when that day finally does come. :)

Also, I haven't updated on my brother-in-law's 1/15 Model Y order in a while. He originally ordered white with 20" wheels, but changed to red when the limit was raised from $55K to $80K. His current EDD as of Mar 11 was Mar 11-25. Mine is Mar 23-31, so we might end up taking delivery on the same day.

Reactions: Tcorn
The plot thickens. I read that as a strong possibility that the IRS notification can be expected anytime now (as opposed or 3/31) and TESLA is trying to get ahead of any expectations around whether that constitutes delivery or orders ahead of the announcement.
Or they finally got around to updating the text that should have been updated on March 1. :)

I am in Chelsea blue as well. A Chelsea supporter too :)
Ah! Did not catch that you switched to Blue. I saw “Upg’d to MYP: W/B tow (2/3” on your tag line.

I drive to the WAA facility on Liberty street every Thursday and Sunday so perhaps we will see each other on the streets. Of course, I won’t be able to keep up with you in your MYP so please wave as you go by. 😄

The plot thickens. I read that as a strong possibility that the IRS notification can be expected anytime now (as opposed or 3/31) and TESLA is trying to get ahead of any expectations around whether that constitutes delivery or orders ahead of the announcement.
Everything they've updated to has sounded very vague but this one in particular makes it seem that Tesla doesn't know much and is just covering their bases by including both "March 31st" and " whenever IRS makes updates".

Honestly it could go either way so I would recommend holding onto your orders until an official IRS update is made. Even if they reduce or remove the federal tax credit altogether for Tesla, I would still wait it out and see if Tesla does anything on their side.

Ah! Did not catch that you switched to Blue. I saw “Upg’d to MYP: W/B tow (2/3” on your tag line.

I drive to the WAA facility on Liberty street every Thursday and Sunday so perhaps we will see each other on the streets. Of course, I won’t be able to keep up with you in your MYP so please wave as you go by. 😄
I am in a MYLR. I just switched colors and tires. So don't worry about catching up 🤝🏼

• Funny
Reactions: Yomanjm and erktrek
Haha! As I've said before, I've obviously been aware of Tesla for years, but never seriously considered buying one because of the low benefit-to-cost ratio and because I've historically chased brands with high reliability and resale value (Honda has been my preferred brand for the last 15 years) and Tesla has a poor reputation for fit, finish, and reliability.

I've always been a technology geek and have a fondness for products that are largely defined by software. After I became aware of Tesla's price cuts and the tax credit, I felt that now was a good time to jump on one and see what it's like to actually own an EV. I may not like it and that's okay - I still have a Miata that I adore and I have no problem swapping the Tesla for another gasoline-powered vehicle. I suspect, however, that once I get a taste of EV convenience, torque, smoothness, quietness, low "fuel" cost, and no more oil changes or weekly trips to the gas station, I'll be hooked.

Sooo... I'm still holding out hope that the Model Y arrives before the $7,500 tax credit fades away - there's no point in surrendering my $250 "player's fee" until it's over. :)
I have owned two Tesla's. They are exemplary in reliability. Many fewer things to go wrong. Virtually no maintenance needed. Tesla issues get overblown.

So no VIN this morning.. but another "accelerated delivery" section appeared and as usual with no cars matching my desired config and definitely at a higher cost. Wonder why this should be showing up if delivery is around the corner?

(answer: EDDs change all the time so delivery may in fact NOT be around the corner)

:rolleyes:

edit: to be slightly less snarky, with accelerated delivery I could probably have a vehicle within a week or so as opposed to 2-4 weeks if the EDD holds. Willing to wait for my desired config and price.

Last edited: