Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model Y General Waiting room for orders placed After January 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does tire size really matter? Disappointed to see that someone in Austin with OD of 02/11 got their VIN today (03/14), while we are still waiting with an OD of 1/25. Per the spreadsheet, the only difference between their "build" and our "build" is tires (them, 21"; us, 19"). I can understand tow hitch mattering, but are the wheel wells different between these builds? Congrats to them, but how did this car jump the line?
21” wheels means theirs is a MYP, which has more different from a MYLR than just the wheels. MYP are only made in the Freeport plant (don’t have to leave Texas and come back in like Austin builds). MYP is also a much more profitable trim for Tesla, so they tend to get priority. Those are few things off the top that explain the difference, there could be others.

Reactions: Wamoosh
Took delivery this afternoon. The car is very good shape except there is a gap on the rear bumper on the passenger side. There is no scratch on the paint. Interior looks great! The SA let me check inside the car before paying them. I traded in my RAV4 hybrid and the whole process was complete in an hour. It would be faster if I did not spend so much time checking everything. Drove the car to a PPF shop for a full Expel Stealth treatment and window tint. Will get it back by Saturday. Can’t wait! Good luck, everyone!
A3F848C4-BF24-41E9-BA58-C50C43CEF5C6.jpeg

Last edited:
My wait is over! While my appointment was for tomorrow, I texted them this morning indicating I am local to the distribution center (Charlotte) and would be flexible if something came up sooner. Within an hour I got a text offering a spot this afternoon, which I quickly jumped on!

We arrived on time and had a few minute wait while they got setup. After signing a few NC-required documents, they pulled my car around and let me inspect it before accepting it in the app. Everything looks great on this Fremont-built MYLR. There were three minor paint defects (hardly visible, even in bright light, but you can feel them under your finger; grain of rice size). No noticeable panel gap issues and all electronics seem to work great. I spent about 30 minutes looking through everything and setting up my phone before driving it home. The trunk cargo cover was a bit odd to figure out (it folds rather than rolls).

I got it home, installed the all weather floor mats and mud flaps. Everything is ready to go, with a tint appointment on Friday! Outdoor glamour shots to come.

It was a long wait (though not as long as many on here) and I am thankful it ended well. I hope everyone gets their new MY's soon and is equally happy with them!

IMG_6904.jpg

Last edited:
21” wheels means theirs is a MYP, which has more different from a MYLR than just the wheels. MYP are only made in the Freeport plant (don’t have to leave Texas and come back in like Austin builds). MYP is also a much more profitable trim for Tesla, so they tend to get priority. Those are few things off the top that explain the difference, there could be others.
Oops. Just now logging in to delete my post because I had missed that earlier. Thanks for the clarification though.

Why do Austin builds "have to leave Texas and come back"?

Why do Austin builds "have to leave Texas and come back"?
Because Texas and many other states do not allow automakers to sell directly to consumers, so Teslas built in Texas must be shipped to another state that does allow direct sales, paid for in full, then they will be shipped back to Texas so they can be picked up by the buyer.

If the theory that Tesla is prioritizing higher-margin orders is true, then it's possible that Texas buyers will be deprioritized since the vehicles have to be hauled out of state then back into state.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wamoosh and erktrek
I had a Honda Civic Touring and sold it to buy my very first Tesla, 2021 M3LR and I don’t regret it at all! We now have 1 M3 and 2 MYs and a Honda Pilot. Husband isn’t ready to go all EV and the Pilot seats 7, so if we need the extra room we have it. I love the convenience of just plugging in the car when I need to. No more gas stations for me.

With that OD for a basic config, the EDD range sucks tbh. I check the app only once in the morning. Updates to EDD happen only right after 9 EST, perhaps 10 EDT now. The only time I frantically refreshed my app more frequently was between Mar 7 to Mar 11 when my EDD date range was just a couple of weeks away. I was hoping for a VIN update then, which happens anytime during the day.

To meet their quarterly profits, I'm certain Tesla is now looking to service areas near their plants and high margin orders (MYP, 20 inches, tow etc.). I expect this to be so until Mar22 to 23, after which they might just switch back to fulfilling earlier ODs in their backlog. This is my inference. I could be wrong!
Im sure your right about timing for the East Coast deliveries. Makes me mad with a 1/16 OD. But to be honest, I can understand the logic as they react to Quarterly finance reporting pressures. It's how the game is played... As stated above, we will continue to root for the IRS "fairies" to drag their feet. Congrats to all who've received or about to receive their MY's.

td;dr: Might have to forfeit current VIN. Anyone have insight on VIN reassignment timeline? Will I be placed at the end of the queue (April-June delivery) or will I be reassigned the next available VIN that matches my configuration?

Context: EDD was between 3/19-3/25. I got a text yesterday, 3/13, evening saying that the car is ready and prompting me to arrange pickup. Got another text this morning saying that if I don't schedule pickup by tomorrow the VIN is being reassigned. I'm away at the moment and can't make their 3-day window. Local store rep isn't willing to put a hold on it or even honor the EDD window I had planned around.

I'm pretty annoyed about the situation. Looks like I'm going to lose this VIN, potentially lose out on the tax credit, and potentially lose out on the low interest rate financing I had secured. They should at least respect the EDD...

Reactions: Puka Bum and Tcorn
td;dr: Might have to forfeit current VIN. Anyone have insight on VIN reassignment timeline? Will I be placed at the end of the queue (April-June delivery) or will I be reassigned the next available VIN that matches my configuration?

Context: EDD was between 3/19-3/25. I got a text yesterday, 3/13, evening saying that the car is ready and prompting me to arrange pickup. Got another text this morning saying that if I don't schedule pickup by tomorrow the VIN is being reassigned. I'm away at the moment and can't make their 3-day window. Local store rep isn't willing to put a hold on it or even honor the EDD window I had planned around.

I'm pretty annoyed about the situation. Looks like I'm going to lose this VIN, potentially lose out on the tax credit, and potentially lose out on the low interest rate financing I had secured. They should at least respect the EDD...
Edit: Just read the last 2 sentences of your post - you can ignore my last paragraph then.

Normally they would allow you to delay delivery but this indicates that maybe the IRS will actually be updating the $7500 federal tax credit qualifications by March 31st.

Are you financing it or paying through Plaid when you accept delivery? I didn't have to sign any paperwork during delivery day so I think you could get someone trustworthy that you know to log into your account via Tesla app, go to the location on delivery day, accept delivery, and then drop it off at your house or hold onto it until you're back. They can take pics/recordings and also send it to you when they're taking delivery.

What is your build?

How did the pick up go??
GREAT! We were there for about 90 minutes going over every inch and setting up profiles. We were the first pickup of the day, so they kept coming out the check on us. No discrepancies to note. We live about 100 miles away in the Paso Robles area, so we needed the time to ensure there was nothing cosmetic to note up front.

We dropped it off for PPF on the front panels and hood Monday with a ceramic coating on the rest of the car. We will get it back Wednesday.

Reactions: geekfam
Im sure your right about timing for the East Coast deliveries. Makes me mad with a 1/16 OD. But to be honest, I can understand the logic as they react to Quarterly finance reporting pressures. It's how the game is played... As stated above, we will continue to root for the IRS "fairies" to drag their feet. Congrats to all who've received or about to receive their MY's.
This is making me not feel as bad about reserving an inventory car that was the same configuration as my original order on 1/20. W/B/19/TOW. I had been pushed to april/may but now I will be taking delivery next week. Cost an extra $2k but in the end I may get the full tax credit to make up for it.

Edit: Just read the last 2 sentences of your post - you can ignore my last paragraph then.

Normally they would allow you to delay delivery but this indicates that maybe the IRS will actually be updating the $7500 federal tax credit qualifications by March 31st.

Are you financing it or paying through Plaid when you accept delivery? I didn't have to sign any paperwork during delivery day so I think you could get someone trustworthy that you know to log into your account via Tesla app, go to the location on delivery day, accept delivery, and then drop it off at your house or hold onto it until you're back. They can take pics/recordings and also send it to you when they're taking delivery.
Hmmm that's an interesting take. Which I guess coincides with Tesla and Volvo's updated verbiage on the tax-credit situation.

I declined one VIN and my reservation was put on hold until I released the hold in the app. I was given a limit of up to two weeks to release the hold. I released the hold after a few days, then I received a second VIN three days later. Since you’re in the Bay Area, you could still get a car before the end of March.

Took delivery this afternoon. The car is very good shape except there is a gap on the rear bumper on the passenger side. There is no scratch on the paint. Interior looks great! The SA let me check inside the car before paying them. I traded in my RAV4 hybrid and the whole process was complete in an hour. It would be faster if I did not spend so much time checking everything. Drove the car to a PPF shop for a full Expel Stealth treatment and window tint. Will get it back by Saturday. Can’t wait! Good luck, everyone!View attachment 917569
Are you going to ask Tesla to adjust the panel gap? If so, I was wondering if they would have any issue with the newly installed PPF. I am seriously considering getting PPF installed as well.