Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Tesla try to take every exit on the Interstate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In most recent version of vehicle software that I have (2017.32.6 ca 28227) I am having the problem that when I am about to pass an exit on the interstate (in the right lane, with autosteer activated), and there is not at least a dotted stripe on the right, the car will try to take the exit. (The navi system planned path is straight, not off the exit). A few times, I wrested control back, which scared my wife. (Now she tells me not to use autosteer at all). My current practice now is to hold the steering wheel firmly when approaching such an exit to force it to stay in lane; then autosteer chimes and turns off. This happens even when the striping on the left is quite visible. Is anyone else noticing this in the recent software versions? (I don't remember this happening up until recently). ...?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Yes, I have noticed our 2017 MS starting to do it. Its very annoying especially for the pasengers. About the same time I also noticed the AP lane changes are now more "harsh". Not near as smooth as when we first took delivery in May of this year.

It doesn't do it for me...until it does. I would say it happened once and I tab the brakes and maneuver back to lane. This was probably in a stretch of 10 autopilot sessions. I've learned to either be in the middle lane or far left when going faster than the rest. Takes the "guessing" away from tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I have a 90D with AP1 and this has been a common issue for a long time. I don't know what algorithm is used, but I have always wondered why it didn't stay with the left line instead of the right (at least with left hand drive cars ;-). I assume that the car wants to remain centered in the lane and so drifts to the right to do so. I assume this because I have had the car drift left a couple of times when approaching a left hand exit on the highway. Prioritizing the line on the left should also help where the line on the shoulder is faint or comes and goes, a much more common issue than a disappearing left hand line.

I rarely drive in the right-most lane, but I’ll try it soon with the 2017.34 software. But a month or so ago, I did a test and it worked great - went past 7 or 8 total offramps and never even drifted towards the offramp. Also, handled “merging” with traffic coming onto the highway from on ramps in 3 out of 4 instances. One on ramp was very long and parallel to the highway for about .25 mile. In that one case, I had to manually brake because the incoming car was matching my speed almost exactly and the on ramp finally was ending and the Tesla was going full blast (around 70) and I wasn’t sure what was going to happen if the incoming car popped in front of me. In that one case, the Tesla ideally would have used the B-pillar camera to “see” the parallel car that was speed-matching me and either slowed down 5 mph to let him go in front of me or alternatively sped up 5 mph temporarily to ensure he’d be on ramping behind me.

But with that one exception it handled (i.e. correctly ignored) offramps perfectly and on ramp merging “mostly”. Now that we’ve had several software updates since I last did a “right hand drive”, I’ll have to see how it does now.

I’m still on .34.

In my experience, it depends.

When auto pilot is on and I’m in the right lane, if it knows I’m in the right lane (ie, shows a lane to my left but not on my right), I find that it mostly ignores the exits correctly.

But if it thinks there is a lane on both sides, it drifts right at the exits, and then dives left once the right lane line returns.

Late 2017 75D running 2017.36. I would say 1 out of 15 or so exits it freaks out and tries to kill me. I find the most common offenders are the short exits with no right line. I also have read/seen that even in countries where folks drive on the left, it still tends to stay right/use the right line for guidance.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
This has been an intermittent issue for a long time. I have AP1 and AP2. Both with software edition: 2017.34 2448cfc

With AP1, over the years it was bad, then fixed, then came back, then fixed, etc....

With AP2, over the year (singular) it has been present*, fixed, then came back, etc...

I've found that the greatest variability is the light level on the lines.

If the lines (especially the left line) are highly visible, the car will recognize the line and follow the highway and NOT exit. The exception is the route where the exit is "straight" and the highway curves to the left (In the US)... then the car understandably starts to exit.

On my daily commute (traveling west at the end of the day) with AP1 there is an exit which the car will dive for if I am coming home late and the sun is lower. At other times, it will follow the highway. This also happens with AP2 when I test/get to drive it. I've noticed that the left blue line will disappear, and the right line will stay blue--then the car will exit (daily commute, I'm so used to it I can actually spend the effort to look at my dash).

With wet highway conditions (not actively raining) I've experienced the same issue, but more often and with normally "safe" exits.

Sometimes the car will start to dive, and then bring itself back to the highway lane. I have certain exits on my commute where this will happen. I've just gotten to know these exits and just remain more vigilant.

The obvious way to remedy this "exiting" problem is to drive in the left lane (bad if you're not a speed demon, like me), or if you have the luxury of 3 lanes, stay in the middle.

*not as bad as AP1 initially btw

PS--I use Autopilot (TACC & Autosteer) close to 100% each way on my commutes. And pretty much any time I have highway driving... even short bits for 1 mile or so.

Last edited:
50/50 for me on my AP2 car. Seems to depend somewhat on the time the car has to decide. If I am doing 70 in the slow lane the off ramps come and go quickly and never get taken, in stop and go traffic there is no telling what will happen when the car loses the lane markers doing 2 mph. Even with a clear line to the left she may take the off ramp.

In most recent version of vehicle software that I have (2017.32.6 ca 28227) I am having the problem that when I am about to pass an exit on the interstate (in the right lane, with autosteer activated), and there is not at least a dotted stripe on the right, the car will try to take the exit. (The navi system planned path is straight, not off the exit). A few times, I wrested control back, which scared my wife. (Now she tells me not to use autosteer at all). My current practice now is to hold the steering wheel firmly when approaching such an exit to force it to stay in lane; then autosteer chimes and turns off. This happens even when the striping on the left is quite visible. Is anyone else noticing this in the recent software versions? (I don't remember this happening up until recently). ...?
This happens on 99% of all exits for me in the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC area. There is only one I can think of, on MD100 near Arundel Mills Blvd where it tracks straight. I warn my wife any time we approach an exit and I have AP on. Just today I said "An exit is coming up, let's see if it leaned this one finally..." The answer was a resounding no. That particular exit was going towards the Annapolis Westgate Mall on 97S just after it is joined by 50.

Still, I like not having to worry about long stretches of road. I do keep one or both hands in the wheel at all times, though.

-DJ

I find it is much better if you have the NAV on for a destination and the AP engaged. In that scenario I rarely have issues. With just AP it a 'roll of the dice' as to if it tries to exit or stays with the main highway.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo