Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don’t think much of these new stall designs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is pretty funny. Obviously OP is posting pics of HIMSELF parking the wrong way in the front in superchargers, but people keep thinking it's someone else. To clarify for those who seem confused... SammichLover is the one parking wrong in protest of not liking those front in superchargers.

Good luck. Chill mode and drafting are your friend (one 244 mi journey in LR RWD model 3 in Missouri starting at 10 C declining to 0 C 30 mph headwind with sleet). Started with 97% supercharge and arrived with 3% and a newfound respect for range anxiety especially in/around Arkansas.

It happens lol!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1558109894299.jpg
    FB_IMG_1558109894299.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: SammichLover
This is a fantastic design. You just pull in like the 18 million other cars that pull in for anything - pumping gas, atm drive through, fast food drive thru, etc..

This design avoids the stupidity of having to back in for charging. Just imagine if everyone has to back in to pump gas !!

I actually always back in when I park, I hate pulling in front ways as I like to get very close to walls etc, but the sensors stop beeping at a certain point and I worry about my front end. This makes sense for the X with the tow hook especially and also for the masses I would say.

I actually have backed in many times at gas stations at double pumps. Some of the stations are confusing where they have multiple stations facing different ways and arrows pointing both directions on the ground, only came across one time years ago.

Cars are meant to be driven forward. You drive backwards only when there is no other choice.
Sorry, that is pure ignorance. On top of....
This is a fantastic design. You just pull in like the 18 million other cars that pull in for anything - pumping gas, atm drive through, fast food drive thru, etc..
You just listed a whole lot of things that are NOT like this. This wack design also involves backing up....out.

Right?

Your Model 3 looks amazing !! What color wraps is that ?

All he needs to do to actually make it look amazing is get rid of the ugly aeros, delete the chrome, de-fishbowl it, and most importantly, learn to park. Then you wouldn't even notice the late 90's chameleon color scheme that was so popular with over the top cars 20 years ago.;)

In all seriousness though, your most frequent charging spot is reverse in only, which is admittedly not as convenient as pulling straight in. Tesla resolves that with a better layout and you complain because you cant work your mind around it? Go back to your bridge.

People visit gas stations without ever backing up?
No wonder Tesla owners hate going to gas stations so much! They're always waiting for the person in front of them to finish pumping or waiting for a pump with the filler on the correct side.
14063871.jpg

Is there some sort of weird socially stunted thing going on local to San Diego where all the stations are crowded and the ICE vehicles play chicken at the pumps, or is this just disingenuous claptrap?

Last edited:
Pairing this Dr. Raven Darktalon....Blood take:

All he needs to do to actually make it look amazing is get rid of the ugly aeros, delete the chrome, de-fishbowl it, and most importantly, learn to park. Then you wouldn't even notice the late 90's chameleon color scheme that was so popular with over the top cars 20 years ago.;)

With this?

Go back to your bridge.

Awesome, I get another use out of this:

giphy-7.gif

In all seriousness though, your most frequent charging spot is reverse in only, which is admittedly not as convenient as pulling straight in. Tesla resolves that with a better layout and you complain because you cant work your mind around it?

I don't have a "favourite" charging spot. SC is for when you're on the road, not in your regular area. I doubt there's a SC I've charged at more than 4 times total, compared to probably about 30 or more uniques (just a guess). Well I might have hit Austin SC 5 or 6 times now? But considering it a "favourite" is, well, that's pretty damn funny. :p

And I've "wrapped my mind" around it quite well. That's why I realize it sucks, for rather solid reasons...that you have decided to not bother address. :(

Last edited:

This design avoids the stupidity of having to back in for charging. Just imagine if everyone has to back in to pump gas !!
I'm a BIG fan of pulling forward when I leave a parking spot. If I have to back in to park in order to do so then I consider that a much better alternative than pulling in to park and having to reverse to get out.

Your examples are different: drive forward to stop, and drive forward to leave.

Is there some sort of weird socially stunted thing going on local to San Diego where all the stations are crowded and the ICE vehicles play chicken at the pumps, or is this just disingenuous claptrap?

I think he meant Tesla owners in their prior ICE vehicles (there's a lot of relief expressed by Tesla owners that they no longer are inconvenienced by gas stations). Implying that these (now) Tesla owners have some restrictions on maneuvers they will do with their cars which makes it difficult to access particular pumps at crowded gas stations, and that is why they are so happy to leave the inconveniences of gas stations behind. Really spelling it out here I guess.... ;)

Regarding crowded Superchargers: I can confirm, at useful times of the day, the Qualcomm Supercharger is always full (I hope this problem reduces as some of the free supercharging and novelty value drops off - and as people realize it is insanity to use it instead of home charging, even if it is free...but I have my doubts, as it is a "Tesla-rich environment" and apparently people love to use Superchargers for some reason). Also, on the 395 on busy ski weekends (and possibly other times), it's quite common to have to wait while people apparently charge their vehicles to 100%. Really a bummer for making good time. More Superchargers are needed (and coming) but it likely won't be enough. The recent rate and taper improvements probably help incrementally.

View attachment 410405
Swaggy P!
Anyway, yes there are often enough people at gas stations here that you have to backup either to leave the pump (because the pump in front of you is occupied) or you have to back up to get to the pump because the one behind it is occupied. Land is expensive around here and gas stations have a lot of pumps in a small space.
Our superchargers are even more crowded!
For example, no way to get gas without backing up!
831AB4C4-44C0-4579-8C2E-61D081F5AA47.png

Last edited:
Swaggy P!
Anyway, yes there are often enough people at gas stations here that you have to backup either to leave the pump (because the pump in front of you is occupied) or you have to back up to get to the pump because the one behind it is occupied. Land is expensive around here and gas stations have a lot of pumps in a small space.
Our superchargers are even more crowded!
For example, no way to get gas without backing up!View attachment 410494
Sure it can happen. Not sure if CA has some rules that makes it normal that the fuel hose can't reach across to fuel the other side of most vehicles? It's been quite some time since I've had a car that that isn't normally possible, with careful [forward only] driving. You tend to need to be pretty precise in getting close to the pump and stopping with the bumper edge in line with the hose mount, to avoid dragging the hose on your vehicle but it is generally possible.

The design even in your picture is very clearly "drive through", and trying to imply otherwise is some mix of delusion or deceit. My decades of experience was it was pretty dare rare to need to back up. You're talking about situations where the intended design is stressed and sometimes breaks down due to crowding and land constraints. In the large majority of the country this isn't how it actually works. Those places with double pumps even have room to pull in ahead and from the side, so you don't have to wait on the other pump on your side.

The others he mentioned were even more obviously "drive through" designs. Including having it in the name he used. LOL

Last edited:
This thread is pretty funny. Obviously OP is posting pics of HIMSELF parking the wrong way in the front in superchargers, but people keep thinking it's someone else. To clarify for those who seem confused... SammichLover is the one parking wrong in protest of not liking those front in superchargers.

I don't think it was in protest. He goofed. No biggy. But the protest sounds good.

Either way is fine. Glad he posted it so I don't make the same goof.

• Funny
Sure it can happen. Not sure if CA has some rules that makes it normal that the fuel hose can't reach across to fuel the other side of most vehicles? It's been quite some time since I've had a car that that isn't normally possible, with careful [forward only] driving. You tend to need to be pretty precise in getting close to the pump and stopping with the bumper edge in line with the hose mount, to avoid dragging the hose on your vehicle but it is generally possible.

The design even in your picture is very clearly "drive through", and trying to imply otherwise is some mix of delusion or deceit. My decades of experience was it was pretty dare rare to need to back up. You're talking about situations where the intended design is stressed and sometimes breaks down due to crowding and land constraints. In the large majority of the country this isn't how it actually works. Those places with double pumps even have room to pull in ahead and from the side, so you don't have to wait on the other pump on your side.

The others he mentioned were even more obviously "drive through" designs. Including having it in the name he used. LOL
I’ve never attempted to filll from the wrong side of the car. Haha. It’s possible that I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. Some stations do have arrows on the ground but as far as I can tell they’re ignored. Must be a California thing. No one has ever said anything to me about my gas filling technique in my 24 years of driving so I must not be too out of line. Must be a regional thing!
There was that one time I pumped my own gas in Oregon and someone told me that wasn’t allowed...