Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked the windshield on my 12 year old Subaru 2 nights ago. I think I have it also but maybe a little less pronounced. Hard to tell with out a back to back comparison.

I had a thought as to why I haven't noticed it. When I was learning to drive I was taught not to look at oncoming headlights as it can somewhat blind you. I've always tried to look away from the brightest of lights.

I'll definitely check it out when I get my X.

update - They replaced my Model S windshield yesterday. Depressingly enough same problem at night. Compared to the 3-4 yo model S P85+ i had as a loaner. The older model S had NO SUCH ISSUE. Will take pictures and post to compare and to provide to Fremont SC. All i want is glass that doesn't distort my vision at night. That shouldn't be so much to ask on a brand new and expensive car.

Also, still have 60 days left in Happiness Guarantee.

update - They replaced my Model S windshield yesterday. Depressingly enough same problem at night. Compared to the 3-4 yo model S P85+ i had as a loaner. The older model S had NO SUCH ISSUE. Will take pictures and post to compare and to provide to Fremont SC. All i want is glass that doesn't distort my vision at night. That shouldn't be so much to ask on a brand new and expensive car.

What is the Happiness Guarantee?

Depressing indeed. The first report of "double vision" problem was reproted in Dec-2015 for model S cars delivered in Germany, based on a link in this forum. I agree that for a car at this cost, one shouldn't settle for an inferior quality that is also a safety issue. I am surprised that your SC advisor didn't check the windshield before going through replacing it! I would have expected a smarter approach from your SC advisor / Tesla!

Reactions: neroden
@Jeff McClure Happiness Guarantee is for leasing. Something like if you don't love it in first 90 days, they will take it back with no further obligation on your part.

I too noticed this double vision issue after seeing all of these posts. Not sure it's dangerous, but it should be fixed. If you pay $130,000+ for a car, the windshield should be perfect - kind of a key component for driving. Also, TM actually spends a ton of time talking about how great the X windshield is.

Not worth going to back to the SC for this, but it's going on my list...

This is a very interesting dilemma. There is a reason for the many layers in the windshield (e.g. strength, UV protection, tint, shatter properties, etc.). It's exactly these layers (or features) that are the cause of the ghosting. What if it's not possible to have the features without the ghosting?

I am going to say that the new windshield is actually significantly improved over the prior one now. Its still not clear compared to any other car i drive or have driven. Agree with ElGuapo and others, that its not what you expect when you pay this amount for a new car. going to wait and see if Tesla figures this out on their own and periodically ask different SC's what their service response is in 3/6/12 month intervals.

But again, for now, at least it is much better than before.

re happiness guarantee - i thought it was for lease only too, but then my delivery rep in Fremont said this week i could use it to trade in if i wanted. so a little confusion there.

• Helpful
Reactions: deonb
@greg t, based on all other posts, it seems that there will be some refraction/ghosting effect. The original issue we reported was an unsafe "magnified" ghosting/double/triple vision that was a defect. It seems Tesla has corrected that problem, which is really good news as it is not unsafe anymore. I'm hoping for the same outcome when I get my windshield by month end.

I am glad it is finally resolved. Enjoy your ride.

Status update - I have a May 3rd appointment at the service center to have my windshield replaced. The tech said it might take a few days, it sounds like they have not done one before. I'm hoping there will be a reduction in ghosting even if it is not completely eliminated. I just can't imagine that anyone would think the level of ghosting I have is acceptable for a windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and ohmman
Update: I posted earlier on this thread about ghosting on my Model X windshield. I get annoying ghosting during sunny days as sun glints off of other distant cars causing bright ghost lights appear to dance above the cars. I also get significant double image ghosting on headlights and distant traffic lights during evening and night. I got a new pair of polaroid sunglasses that definitely help during the daytime and evening. by rotating the glasses back and forth 90 degrees one can see that the ghosting is polarized so the polaroid glasses reduce the apparent amount of ghosting. They make driving my X during the day almost tolerable. Sunglasses are clearly not a solution for night driving however. Even with these polaroid glasses I see more ghosting than in other cars without even without using polaroid sun glasses.
Yesterday I had to take my X into the SC for something unrelated (main wiper blade arm stopped moving) and was given a brand new Model S loaner (less than 200 miles). On this new Model S is see considerable less ghosting during the day (with and without my new polaroid glasses) than my model X, but interestingly last night when driving it I was appalled at the amount of ghosting I saw of streetlights and headlights. Notably worse than my model X at night. This just shows how complex this issue is.

It helps when progressive eye glasses add more double vision than the windshield.

Regular lenses give a 100% clear view of the problem.
I don't understand what you are trying to say, but if you look at my photos on page one of this thread you can clearly see the ghosting, and of course the camera does not have progressive lenses so progressive lenses are clearly not the issue.

I don't understand what you are trying to say, but if you look at my photos on page one of this thread you can clearly see the ghosting, and of course the camera does not have progressive lenses so progressive lenses are clearly not the issue.
My comment was in regard to your earlier comment. I considered the windshield acceptable while wearing the progressive lenses since those eyeglasses can create artifacts when viewing objects outside the sharpest area. The lenses are designed to work close up and far away by moving the head to position the glasses correctly. The problem of objects outside the center of focus being blurry or with double images can exaggerate the defect of the windshield so the wearer thinks the windshield defect is from the eyeglasses.

When viewing the photos (my daylight photo included) or when wearing standard glasses, I agree the windshield is not acceptable for many. However, I find it usable and will most likely wait until it is pitted or damaged before replacement.

On this new Model S is see considerable less ghosting during the day (with and without my new polaroid glasses) than my model X, but interestingly last night when driving it I was appalled at the amount of ghosting I saw of streetlights and headlights. Notably worse than my model X at night. This just shows how complex this issue is.
I think I already posted it somewhere, but there is already discussion on the German forum dating back to last December about the Model S wind shield.

Google Übersetzer (btw. disc=wind shield o_O)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
o_O
Update: I posted earlier on this thread about ghosting on my Model X windshield. I get annoying ghosting during sunny days as sun glints off of other distant cars causing bright ghost lights appear to dance above the cars. I also get significant double image ghosting on headlights and distant traffic lights during evening and night. I got a new pair of polaroid sunglasses that definitely help during the daytime and evening. by rotating the glasses back and forth 90 degrees one can see that the ghosting is polarized so the polaroid glasses reduce the apparent amount of ghosting. They make driving my X during the day almost tolerable. Sunglasses are clearly not a solution for night driving however. Even with these polaroid glasses I see more ghosting than in other cars without even without using polaroid sun glasses.
Yesterday I had to take my X into the SC for something unrelated (main wiper blade arm stopped moving) and was given a brand new Model S loaner (less than 200 miles). On this new Model S is see considerable less ghosting during the day (with and without my new polaroid glasses) than my model X, but interestingly last night when driving it I was appalled at the amount of ghosting I saw of streetlights and headlights. Notably worse than my model X at night. This just shows how complex this issue is.
Well, I learned something new today. Polaroid does make polarized sunglasses. I thought it was just cameras. o_O :p;)

Congrats!! What was your VIN? Any build issues? Is the tint on the panoramic windshield and skylights on the FWD adequate? Did you get a sunshade?
Damn you're persistent! :p ;)

• Funny
Reactions: K-MTG and ohmman