Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking Bellevue, too... do you guys ever need a sunshade?
Not very often. Although, we're not used to seeing that bright orb much so our retinas are a bit tender and it might come in handy.

I'll have to report back when I've spent some time in an X. Should arrive about when the sun comes to stay for a while. July 5th.

@ohmman the moving eyes on your avatar scared the su****de out of me. When did that happen?
Glad I'm not the only one. Freaked me out!

Here are some photos I took to show the issue on my windshield.

upload_2016-4-25_3-35-24.png

upload_2016-4-25_3-39-50.png

I added arrows but I think it's quite obvious.

upload_2016-4-25_3-44-22.png

The left is through my driver's side window, right is through the windshield.

upload_2016-4-25_3-46-44.png

I thought I could ignore it at first, but when I drove home from Seattle last weekend all the tail lights were giving me a headache. It seems like my eyes are trying to adjust for double-vision (triple?), but don't know what to do when it's vertical. I have perfect 20/20 vision, never had glasses or eye surgery and have always had great night vision. I called my SC about this last Friday to add it to my list of things to get fixed when they finally get me an appointment (they're backed up with deliveries right now) and they had no idea what I was talking about but said they would check it out.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-25_3-34-15.png
    upload_2016-4-25_3-34-15.png
    662.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
@Keith Helpful pics. I find it is at its worst when there are headlights or DRLs from oncoming cars or brake lights.

I could probably deal with the street lights as I don't look at them, however, I have no choice but to see some headlights and other car-related lights head on. Not sure how they fix this, but they will need to figure something out.

I know height of the driver was discussed, but can all owners on here corroborate? Has there been a Model X owner who has reported not seeing this aberration at all?
Let's help @systemcrashed with a poll. Give this post a thumbs up "Like" if you have seen the aberration and a thumbs down "Dislike" if you have NOT seen the aberration and have looked carefully through your Model X windshield for the problem.

Reactions: Roentgen and Keith
Identifying someone who does NOT have this problem would be key.

I have looked on our Sig but have not seen the effect mentioned in my normal seating position (high) while looking at my LED security light and other HPS lamps. That said, I have not tried to adjust things to find it, either - lowering the seat to change my angles, etc.

The car is getting its beauty-wrap done for protection this week, so it will be until next week before I could try other experiments. I'm simply not seeing it (and my wife says she always sees double after the stage collapse accident, so there's not much of a point there). Next time I get a chance, I'll ask a few others to tell me if they see it.

I was just at my service center dropping the X off for service. While there, I noticed something across the windshield of one of the Xs in the parking lot. When looking through the windshield the long way - that is standing near the front of the driver's door and looking across the car - one of the Xs seemed to have some irregularity in the glass. A mild waviness would be the best way to describe it. I walked around and looked at others, and it seemed to exist to some degree on all of the vehicles, but based on my very unscientific observation, it also seemed to vary quite a bit from one car to the next.

I'm wondering if this could be partly related to the issues some are seeing in this thread. Can someone with issues perform that experiment - look through the glass the "long way" from outside and see if you can find any waviness? I don't have my X and didn't have a chance to check mine before it was whisked away.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Mark Z